• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Ask a foreigner

Basic TV has something like 2-13 channels depending on your reception
ABC, CBS, CNN, FX, FOX, NBC, PBS/BBC, & TNT will rabbit ear in my area.

Basic Cable has around 25-50, including things like USA, CM, ESPN, History Channel, SciFi, MTV, CartoonNetwork, Nickelodeon, FoodNetwork, HGTV, National Geographic, etc.

Cable Cable (what most people have, who still have TV*) has around 500 channels :confused:

Premium Cable (pay per extra station) has HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, Epix, PayPerView Sports, and a handful of others.

* Most people I know don’t use any kind of cable or satellite. They stream. 5 major subscription based services NETFLIX, HULU, & Amazon Prime or Amazon Firestick, AppleTV, & 1 pay per season/episode via iTunes. You can get ALL of those station’s shows streaming, most for free, some behind a pay wall... including (as of this last year) paying for premium channels like HBO, Showtime, etc. directly. Prior to a year ago you had to ALSO have a cable subscription to stream. Now you can buy a $5-$10 a month subscription straight from your streaming provider. TVs round here -new ones- come loaded with Netflix (&/or others), as well as being set up for screen mirroring (so you can stream to your phone, or computer, or tablet, but watch on your TV without having to connect a USB cable).

WHO has spent 18mo out of the past couple/few years on bedrest? :wtf: Arrrrgh. Yep. That would be me. :banghead:

Last edited:
Ta :)

ABC, CBS, CNN, FX, FOX, NBC, PBS/BBC, & TNT will rabbit ear in my area.

What are ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC & TNT like? As in what kind of shows / standpoint do they come from?

USA, CM, ESPN, History Channel, SciFi, MTV, CartoonNetwork, Nickelodeon, FoodNetwork, HGTV, National Geographic, etc.

Same for USA, ESPN, HGTV

Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, Epix,

And these?

And this? Ta muchly

Also what channels if any are favourites?

My favourites are defo BBC 1, 2 & 4 and channel 4

I think it is funny that so many of the Americans seem to have capped out at 46 states. Same here. (I skipped North Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, and Missouri.) I think that Americans drive a lot more than flying because in an awful lot of the US if you fly somewhere you would have to immediately rent a car and that can be pretty pricey.

I had never heard of hot cross buns before coming to the UK, definitely not part of my traditional Easter experience.

I haven't traveled around Europe much since arriving in the UK. If we want to go for citizenship in a few years we have to severely limit how much we are out of the country so I don't know that I will travel much in the next ten years. (5 years on the first visa, then another 5 years before we can apply is how I understand it; I could be wrong about how long it is exactly.)

Driving here is kind of funny. A gentleman of my acquaintance bought a new car. He took a train to the city where he was picking it up and then he drove home. It was a six hour trip home. He stopped four times on the way and complained about it being the longest time period he had ever been in a car in his life. I drove around the perimeter of the US. I drove 4-6 hours a day (not every single day, we had stops to visit people) for months. I have friends who do 12 hour drives each way for a weekend trip.

Distance is different here.

RE: Capped out at 46 US states... sadly my chances of Hawaii or Alaska are likely gone by the wayside... and I skipped Iowa and never had much of a reason to go to Michigan.

Hawaii is neat, but my experience was sad because seeing the way the natives are currently living made me feel really bad about being there as a white tourist. I will never go back because I feel sad that they are being degraded by people like me invading. Alaska is one of the friendliest, most beautiful places on the planet. The only place prettier might be New Zealand.

Back