• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Ask a foreigner

Love it :D

Specifically at around 10 seconds into the video, the double yellow lines widen to have a lane between em, with a gap for traffic on the right to enter this middle lane, is that for turning? It goes on for rather a long way. And then has a gap for traffic to go into the left lane which sounds wrong?

I love that you chose rules to be opposite to ours, taxating bastards :D and I didn't know all States have their own driving laws.

Specifically at around 10 seconds into the video, the double yellow lines widen to have a lane between em, with a gap for traffic on the right to enter this middle lane, is that for turning? It goes on for rather a long way. And then has a gap for traffic to go i
Remember, we drive on the right!

I didn't know all States have their own driving laws.
They’re close enough that a license from any state is good in any other state... but you’ll still get whomping big tickets if you break a law you thought you were following.
with a gap for traffic on the right to enter this middle lane, is that for turning? It goes on for rather a long way
Yep!

Google Image LA Traffic Jam or LA Bad Traffic & get an eye full.

There are only 4 million people in LA, about half what London has... but spread out over an extra 100sq miles & no Tube. Everyone drives. which means it can take 25 light cycles to get through a busy intersection during rush “hour”... and if you don’t want forward traffic blocked by turning traffic? You have to give them their own lane to sit, wait, move forward 5 spots, sit, wait, move forward 5 spots. The worst intersections? The left turn-only lane can start half a mile back... through several other smaller intersections. And nooooo one is going to let latecomers “in”. So if you don’t know the area, and don’t know to get in the queue 5 blocks back? You’re screwed. Road rage in Southern California is a pretty serious deal. Even with 14 lanes on the freeway + shoulder driving okay? It’s still a gridlock at least twice a day. But on REALLY bad traffic days? Pizza, burgers, tacos, & other food & drink vendors WALK between the lanes selling food to people in cars.

LA is where I learned boys might be able to pee in bottles but GIRLS can pee in cups!!! Finally. A practical use for those “Why does your drink look like it’s in a 2 liter “cup”? Oh. Because it is?” 🤣 All you really need is a mason jar, or wide mouth mason jar, though. And those lids screw tight.

Googled LA Traffic Jam.
Crikey!
Makes me tired just looking at it.

Ta for explaining it to me. I always find myself interested in everyday differences when I go abroad 🧐

LOL... I tried driving in London... once. Then I parked, hailed a cab, and told the car hire place where to get their car. Because if they wanted it back in one piece? Someone else needed to take it home. Rome I can drive in. Tokyo is where I learned to drive. But London scares me.

I also try not to pay attention when someone ELSE is driving in London. It seems like we’re always catapulting up streets that say not to, with dire warnings attached. Which, apparently, were for the street next to it? Shudder. Regardless, I’m always half certain we’re about to die in a fiery explosion, or anticlimactic squish.

Country lanes scare me :) the kind only 1 car wide and not enough passing bays and too many twists n turns and no visibility cause of trees right up to the road so you can't see ahead and no street lights.

I drove em on recent North Norfolk holiday, just hate em!

Paris is scary to me too, no rules, free for all horn honking nightmare!
One of my favorite things to do in Paris is grab a bottle of wine and go cheer the craaaaaaazy suicidal cyclists as they rocket through the traffic around the Arc de Triomphe!!! 🤣

That thing? Is not a roundabout. It’s a kaleidoscope death trap spinning at something close to the sound barrier. I have no idea how the cars, busses, and cyclists actually dive in and out of that circle without there being a zillion collisions. Especially as “lanes” seem to be non-existent, and the “correct” way to do it seems to floor your gas pedal (or stand up and start pedaling as fast fast fast as you can) from the moment you SEE the Arc to get from the outside ring, to the inside ring, as quickly as possible; before flinging yourself from the inside ring to your exit on the outside ring, after having built up enough G-force that nothing that gets in your way could stop you. Like slingshotting around the sun. It’s terrifying. And awe inspiring. And terrifying.

✨ 😵 😱 😵 ✨

Last edited:
Thats prompted me to remember that zebra crossings mean feck all in Paris too, I'd forgotten about that. Catching a look on the faces of drivers about to run you over that says Are you mad? How very dare you cross the road in my way? Lol

Is colour the only thing different about yellow onions?

We have white onions with orange/ brown skins as the standard onion, red onions too, shallots also with orange / brown skins and less often i see white onions with white skins.

I have never seen a yellow onion. At least not until recently on YouTube. I always assumed yellow onions meant white onions with orange brown skins.

Anyways are they much different?

Back