• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Asked in 2 interviews if I have mental health issues from my job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disclosure is always a choice. Whilst there are laws to prevent discrimination in employment and campaigns to promote awareness and inclusion,.employers who state they embrace diversity at the end of are more mindful of ways to reduce liability. I approach an interview with the view that I am a valuable assest and I'm partipating in the interview with the intent purposef interviewing the organisation to find out if the organisation will help or harm. Innaproiate questions that try to compromise confidentiality and your privacy are usually red flags that there may be issyes with organisational culture. I hope all.the best for you wth your recovery and road to finding a supportive, safe and meaningful employment

It's hard to tell, from your last reply, how much you are directing your response to @Chris-duck and how much is a general rant. It's totally understandable you are upset that both interviewers asked you that. I would be too. @Chris-duck's question wasn't meant to be judgmental of your situation. Asking questions is how we better understand your situation. For example, knowing that you are a janitor does make their question more ridiculous than if you were, for example, a psych nurse.

It's good to remember that people on this group are from all over the world and have different life experiences, knowledge base, etc. So a response that might seem judgmental, confusing, uncaring or something like that may not seem that because of those differences. We all share the experiences with PTSD here. It also means that things that are obvious to you may not be obvious to us.

For example, what is ltd? Does that mean disability?

Your employer really has no reason to mention you've been off for two years. And even if the employer knows that, they have no idea how you've filled your time. When I, as an employer, got called about a past employee I provided basic information like yes they worked at the company. But if does become clear you have a two-year gap there's lots of ways to respond. If you google there's lots of good examples of how to explain. Again, the key thing is to spin it positive and why it makes you a better employee. "Well, I had some health issues and I took some time to renergize so I could be a better employee". When I was doing hiring I noticed gaps, I won't lie. But I was more concerned with what the employee was presenting as far as their work ethic, ability to do the job, etc. An, answer like I just gave would have worked for me. A health issue could be anything. It could have been cancer or mental health a serious vehicle accident, etc.
Yes your right and thank you for explaining.
I just get frustrated.
And yes Ltd is common to me because ive seen it on call out lists next to a staffs name for as long as i can remember. It means they are on Long Term Disability.
I have rehearsed interview questions and those questions like what have you done in that gap of time why were you off. Ooh its room for failure. Bad answers. Etc.
I just would rather not mention it ever.
Its like opening a can of worms.
I dont want an employer to know ive been off for 2 years because they might think ill do the same to them.

Thanks. I mentioned it because i disnt disclose that ive been off for 2 years.following the incident because i dont want them to rhink i have issues. Good point. I wont mention it again. But when they do a reference check im sure my employer will let them know that ive been off for 2 years. Lets.hope not.

Yes i have a worksafe officer friend and she told me to report it. Its illegal. Call human rights an go from there. I will bevause.if not me who else will they discriminate
yeah human rights is the way to go. Make sure you document everything, date, times, names. It is discrimination. I have always wondered though, if the company is like that, is that who you want to work for though? It sucks when you need a job, but it's pretty telling where they are at.

Hello all.
I am writing from Canada.
Where we have a law that states that no employer is to ask about your mental health issues even prior to employment.
I have had 2 interviews in 2 weeks.
Both women asked my if i have or had mental health issues from working in a forensic psychiatric facility.
Never disclose to any employer that you have a disability!! I didnt but heres what they asked.

#1 so you work im a forensic facility. Why are you leaving.
My response. "I had an inappropriate i cident oneday and I am choosing to leave for that reason and a few others."
Oh so what happened.
(Like really?!?)
Asides from confidentiality from my previous employer i dont even want to talk about it first of all.
But i said. The door didnt open oneday as a patient was comming to assault me. I tried to open the door again and the FOB wouldnt grant me accesS."
Her response. "Oh that sounds horrible do you have ptsd from that?"
My response."no."

So you are working there ?
My response "no i am not."

Her response was ." oh well sometimes when we have these.issues and dont resolve them its like adding a piece of hay to the haystack and it all falls apart."

Wow! I recieved my letter today that says im not hired.
Big suprise.

Interview #2

So you.work at this place.
Why are you leaving.
Again i respond inappropriate incident.
She says OH IM JUST SOOO CURIOUS can you tell me what happened with a smile on her face.
f*ck eh!? I could have been f*cking raped, stabbed, head smashed in the f*cking wall, anything !!
These people are so oblivious.
I said i have a fob. It didnt grant me access. I ran. This combined with thw fact that I could be privitized etc i need to find other employment.
Her response.
Do YOU HAVE PTSD FROM THAT DAY!?.
(Im thinking Wow. im mind effing blown again.
Why ask that? If i said yes would you not hire me? Are you judging me? Do you even know what ptsd is? Does she realize this is so illegal to ask? How does she get away with asking this? Im pisesd off!! )
I looked her in the eye and said a firm NO.
I said many situations arise at work and in prison settings that is part.of the job like a first responder etc its not a big deal.

She wants to hire me.
Now shes going to do a reference check with my employer ( ive been off for 2 years on LTD. Will my employer disclose that?)
Oh god.
Any advice !?!
Tell me your story id love to hear.
Im just blown away by how insensitive and how uneducated people are about mental health and the legalities surrounding confidentiality.
I am sorry you have experienced discrimination even if you have or got mental health issues from these jobs...who would not. I also think you made some interview faux pas...we all do. You never actually tell them the real reason you are leaving but something along the line of seeking growth, learn new skills, or the most ass licking one, you are in awe of this organization and want to be part of it.
I think the last thing you want in interview is to remember what you truly did not like in your last job and give the interview an opening to probe more to an issue you brought forward.
Another thing that I thought while reading your post is this: you are posting this on ptsd website and I wonder if you get trigger or panic and if this may show up during high stress duration of interview...so another reason even not to add the real reason you are moving one from your present job.

When I was leaving a job where the manager was truly misogynist, I framed his f*cked up parts as he was great manager (withheld to young boys that looked like his younger version), promoted people (only if you were again his younger version) but it was time for me to move up and seek a position that more aligns with my strong skills that you noticed in my resume...love sucking up interviews!

I think these interviews may force you to prepare next time and learn how to give a lip-services! to the reality of really why most people leave their jobs - cause the jobs suck or the money suck or the manager suck. You are jumping a sinking ship so make it look like it is a cruise ship! but you need to be on land finally!

Hello all.
I am writing from Canada.
Where we have a law that states that no employer is to ask about your mental health issues even prior to employment.
I have had 2 interviews in 2 weeks.
Both women asked my if i have or had mental health issues from working in a forensic psychiatric facility.
Never disclose to any employer that you have a disability!! I didnt but heres what they asked.

#1 so you work im a forensic facility. Why are you leaving.
My response. "I had an inappropriate i cident oneday and I am choosing to leave for that reason and a few others."
Oh so what happened.
(Like really?!?)
Asides from confidentiality from my previous employer i dont even want to talk about it first of all.
But i said. The door didnt open oneday as a patient was comming to assault me. I tried to open the door again and the FOB wouldnt grant me accesS."
Her response. "Oh that sounds horrible do you have ptsd from that?"
My response."no."

So you are working there ?
My response "no i am not."

Her response was ." oh well sometimes when we have these.issues and dont resolve them its like adding a piece of hay to the haystack and it all falls apart."

Wow! I recieved my letter today that says im not hired.
Big suprise.

Interview #2

So you.work at this place.
Why are you leaving.
Again i respond inappropriate incident.
She says OH IM JUST SOOO CURIOUS can you tell me what happened with a smile on her face.
f*ck eh!? I could have been f*cking raped, stabbed, head smashed in the f*cking wall, anything !!
These people are so oblivious.
I said i have a fob. It didnt grant me access. I ran. This combined with thw fact that I could be privitized etc i need to find other employment.
Her response.
Do YOU HAVE PTSD FROM THAT DAY!?.
(Im thinking Wow. im mind effing blown again.
Why ask that? If i said yes would you not hire me? Are you judging me? Do you even know what ptsd is? Does she realize this is so illegal to ask? How does she get away with asking this? Im pisesd off!! )
I looked her in the eye and said a firm NO.
I said many situations arise at work and in prison settings that is part.of the job like a first responder etc its not a big deal.

She wants to hire me.
Now shes going to do a reference check with my employer ( ive been off for 2 years on LTD. Will my employer disclose that?)
Oh god.
Any advice !?!
Tell me your story id love to hear.
Im just blown away by how insensitive and how uneducated people are about mental health and the legalities surrounding confidentiality.
That's f*cking crazy. I would of found that really difficult to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back