• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Natural Disaster Attention floridians & surrounding areas: take irma seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave my sup a heads up. I will look as professional as I can but will likely be wrinkled. I am also charging devices here and being a PCI complaint area, a phone is never to be seen. I am putting my phone in my bag and then charging the vap batteries on the PC tower. So far no one has said anything. They seem to be understanding.

Last edited:
Chopper was ok when I came home. First time he has been out of the crate when I left home since our training and he didn't mess on the floor as he did before training. Says a lot about crate training and structure.

Anyway, not trying to treat this thread as my diary. Or not meaning to. I just know y'all are wanting to make sure he's ok. And the kitty He's hot. I can physically see that. It's 84 in here and humid as hell but he and the cat are ok. Took him to Walgreens for a quick trip in and out as I am trying to work him as little as possible and do no training as it increases activity which increases how hot he is. He maybe a bit lathargic but I think he is just hot. Not as egar to train and move around. I'm rubbing a wet rag on his belly as often as I can but he isn't panting much inside and a kid just knocked on my door to give me a flier for a free community cookout (poor kid got scared sideways) and he jumped and barked so the larthargic I'd think to see with heat stroke is more like not caring that someone knocked on the door.

Anyway, both are ok and moving around as normal. I am doing worse then they are! It helped to work in A/C though as work is a huge distraction. Fear and lonliness are huge factors in my issues about this. I literally have no one to turn to and that really sucks and what I think most of my issue with this is.

And now Chopper's pant is heavy and I am so scared! I took up battery power to make a video and post it for help on youtube. I don't know what to do! I looked and there are no availablity at any hotels anywhere for any price. I feel so helpless and alone! I don't know what to do!

ETA: I just poured water all over him and he stopped panting but then will he last another day while I'm at work? I feel so f*cking helpless and alone! Not one person I can turn to and absoultly nothing I can do!

Last edited:
Ooh, so I just checked what 84 degrees is in celcius and @lostforgottensoul , he's gonna be okay. Panting is a normal, healthy way for dogs to cool themselves down. Definitely keep checking for signs of heat stroke for your own peace of mind, but he's gonns be ok in 84 degrees.

Make sure there's plenty of fresh water each day, and if you get worried he's hot, use the damp cloth to help him cool down. He'll probably be pretty inactive in that sort of temperature, and he's going to pant. But dogs can handle 84 degrees. They really can. It's not comfortable, and humidity makes everything feel so much majorly worse (hate humidity!). But he will be okay. He will. Big hugs lady.

Thank you so much @Ragdoll Circus! I take it you saw my video of desperation. It's raining (and lightening hitting close which Chopper is hating at the moment) but it will cool it down some. I think the mostly hard floors is what's keeping the inside temp lower then the outside as the high was 91 today and supposed to be hotter tomorrow. Duke Energy sucks but they publically said most of their customers would be up by Sun. They said harder hit areas longer but we were not a harder hit area.

I spent most of my battery calling around and no one has a vaccency and there is a site for those offering up their homes for victims of Irma but it's for the Panhandle and other areas where people were totally displaced.

He is panting heavy now but that's from stress of the storm right now as I can't shut the door and windows and sheild him from the super scary (for me too) close lightening. I'm hoping this doesn't add to the already existing no power issue.

I am thinking to maybe wet his bed completely down when I leave for work tomorrow. I put my battery powered fan there today but I think if I add wetness it will help? At least it will help keep him wet thus cooler. He seems to gravitite to it so hopefully that will help?

My cat could care less but he is obviously affected. He is physically hot when I touch him too which scares me. It's not that he's panting but that he's panting that hard. I read that hard panting hard is one of the first signs of heat stroke. Maybe just me working myself into a frinzy? I need AC! :arghh;

@lostforgottensoul - in all honesty, at this point it's probably best to do whatever is going to give you the best peace of mind when you go to work. Because Chopper is going to be ok. If he was a breed like a pug, it would be different, but Chopper is able to regulate his own body temperature really well by just panting and drinking water.

The deal is, this is a stressful situation, and I get that you really are much more isolated than you were even 6 months ago. And Chopper is everything to you. He's going to be ok, it about you doing what you need to for your own stress levels. And sometimes (for me anyway) that means being ridiculously over-cautious with my dog and making him comfortable. Doing that gives me a sense of control and security.

So you know you best, you know how to manage your stress. If setting up battery fans makes you feel better? Do that. If giving yourself a reality check (like, "Quit being paranoid Ragdoll, you're stressing yourself out!") works better? Then just keep reminding yourself- dogs tend to handle heat a whole lot better than we do.

Reading along and watching the news, having even the smallest concept of the type of cleanup and safety issues going on in Florida right now, what's blowing my mind is the fact that your work is going ahead with a damn training day! Seriously, wtf is that!? If people don't bave their own cleanup to do, it's not like there isn't plenty of neighbours who need a helping hand right now. And having people clogging up roads with traffic so that they can do professional training!?! WTF!!!!

Reading along and watching the news, having even the smallest concept of the type of cleanup and safety issues going on in Florida right now, what's blowing my mind is the fact that your work is going ahead with a damn training day! Seriously, wtf is that!? If people don't bave their own cleanup to do, it's not like there isn't plenty of neighbours who need a helping hand right now. And having people clogging up roads with traffic so that they can do professional training!?! WTF!!!!

Yeah, they had it scheduled for a while now but it's not like they couldn't of pushed it. From how I am hearing it, most coworkers have power now. My Sup told me to go to HR as they are talking to those affected but I had to talk to him after work, it was already after 5:30pm, I was worried about Chopper and he said there was some form so I was thinking I'd just do it tomorrow as there is not anything they can do to get my power on or clean my clothes. I have voiced my issues A TON to my team mates and one did offer his washer and drier but no one has offered to let me room at their house which is something I gladly did for all of my ex's 30+ coworkers after Charley as we were the only ones with AC and full electric due to the ABC station being behind our complex and having a generator for the entire block. It just blows my mind that someone is saying they have already passed out numberous times, have a dog and a cat that they are very worried about and not one person can say "you can stay on my couch" even if they say "but you have to keep your animals in a crate". Cool! I'd do that! It frustrates me to no end! And who would ask that? Can I stay at your place with a cat and a pitbull?

I would totally house you if I was nearby! I agree with @Ragdoll Circus in regards to the panting and staying cool. I work myself into a frenzy over my dog (not so much my cat because she is so independent), especially when it comes to heat and dehydration. One thing my vet told me was that if you touch a dog's nose and it's very dry, then they may be a little dehydrated. That may be one way to help reassure yourself that Chopper is still doing okay.... if only they could talk! I think having as much water as possible is a great idea. If Walgreens or Wawa or whatever store you mentioned has stuff, you could maybe looking into getting a cooling towel. They make them for animals or humans, whatever you can find. All it needs is water, then you can wrap it around his neck or maybe find a way to strap it to his belly. I'm sure the hard floors are helping a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back