• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Betrayal - Cause Of Trauma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PTSD & complex trauma are based on fight or flight mechanisms aren't they? Marriage betrayal does not invoke this. Agree with Eva, took the words right out of my mouth. Trauma by definition does not cause PTSD, betrayal is traumatic, but not PTSD invoking

Betrayal is definitely a trigger for me. I have a long and complex history of it and it is tied in my memory to physical absuse as well. I'm sorry you are going through this. You deserve much better. Is your therapist trained in EMDR? I think your memory associations with her sound like they could be sorted through to help you progress and reprogram essentially. Routine, friend time and introspection are really propping me up and I hope that you can find the support that you need.

My T-doc and I, years ago spoke about betrayal trauma. Something to take note of if interested. Jennifer Freyd, btw, is the chick whose parents spearheaded the False Memory Syndrome organization. Their daughter, a professor at the U of Oregon, who apparently has false memories of her abuse (according to her parents), is the author of this paper on Betrayal Trauma.

For myself, I believe that betrayal can trigger one into an already established PTSD pattern (kindle it again). I dont' believe it causes PTSD, but can throw us back in with great force.

Definition of Betrayal Trauma Theory

I'd be wary of people who claim to not be abusers starting anything like this unless there is CLEAR evidence that they have done nothing wrong.
Sorry, @missy meier, I am not certain what you are referencing here. Could be that I am not reading it right. Are you speaking of the parents, the daughter, or the OP? Can you clarify for me?

yes, that false memory syndrome rubbish, led me to believe my ex about not abusing his sister. It was such a common excuse used. Great weapon for abusers to use.

Unless there is clear evidence that they did nothing wrong how can we be so sure there really was false memories?
The background to this is that a guy named Peter Freyd was accused by his daughter Jennifer, when she was an adult, of having sexually abused her when she was a child. He denied her allegations, and he and his wife founded the False Memory Syndrome Foundation (FMSF) very shortly after Jennifer's accusation. The people who quickly gathered in support of the foundation were others who claimed to have been accused based on the adult having 'false memories' of abuse.

I think it's safe to say that the actual FMSF is generally considered to be very suspect - the motivation for inventing the syndrome seems really clear.

But, there have been studies done on how the human brain can invent memories to solve blanks or paradoxes. So, it stands to reason that this may occur with memories of abuse as easily as memories of anything. But, that doesn't mean that it should be the very first assumption when looking at an allegation. I also think it generally doesn't hold up too well as a trial defense.

FMS isn't recognized by the DSM or the APA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back