• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Canoe Trip Story-All Invited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angelo spent a great deal of the night in thought by the campfire. He even made coffee for anyone who wanted it in the morning. Then late at night when he finally doused the fire, he turned in.

Farine sensed he needed that alone time so she turned in at a reasonable hour. As a morning person, she also tended to fade earlier in the night. She was surprised to realize in the morning that he had indeed joined her, so deep she had slept.

When Angelo woke briefly as she stirred at 5 am.. he said two things before falling back to sleep. "I made coffee." and "I think I'm getting sick."

The two women had fallen asleep just after eating their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches the night before. Nia was too tired to even make a fire. The fresh air made for some hard sleeping. Suddenly, Nia awoke at first light, "Mizzy, wake up.......hurry, let's pack everything in the canoe and let's catch up to the others! I hope they are late sleepers!"

Groggily, Mizzy groaned and in a garbled voice, acknowledged her mother. Soon, the two were eating apples and some precooked bacon, and soon enough, right at sunrise, were back on the water, paddling hard.

"Look Mom, is that campsite 29?" asked Mizzy.
"Yep, let's head that way. Isn't it a beautiful sunrise, Nia? Check out the eagle over there-at 2 o'clock" Gonna be a great trip this year.
The eagles are here to greet us!

The two women paddled, until they got to the other's campsite. It looked like at least one person was up and dressed. Nia and Mizzy paddled up to shore, and saw someone sitting outside with what smelled like fresh brewed coffee.

"Well, hello, ya'll, we finally made it!.....Had it not been for some serious technical difficulties that slowed us down in meeting up with you all, we would have caught up with y'all last night.....but we just were doomed not to connect on day 1."

Nia rambled on a mile a minute, "Since it was getting dark last night, Mizzy and I agreed we should stop and rest, particularly since we were having trouble seeing some of the rocks in the water. Safety first when you're on the water, right? No point in swimming after dark....well, not because you smashed into a rock. So, we decided to stop while we could still see, turn in early, and get up at the crack of dawn and try to catch up you all when we could more easily navigate the rocks....We were farther behind you guys than we had realized.......................................................................................

"Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot my manners. My name is Nia, and this is my daughter Mizzy. This is the first time we have paddled out this way. Oh, your coffee smells heavenly!"

Farine was surprised to hearing unaccustomed voices... two of them... she was just pouring herself a cup of coffee. She heard..
"Well, hello, ya'll, we finally made it!.....Had it not been for some serious technical difficulties that slowed us down in meeting up with you all, we would have caught up with y'all last night.....but we just were doomed not to connect on day 1

She turned and smiled.. "After a lot of trips out this way, we've had a variation of every type of day one you can imagine. Good to see you. "

Angelo was resting lightly in their cot in the tent. Their voices carried effortlessly to where he was.. He was burning with a fever and maybe one of them had more training than they had. He splashed some water from a basin on his face and scrubbed at it with a hand towel. He'd look less affected that way. He didn't want to scare them. He tested his stability before walking out among them. Good. He could appear mostly okay. He unzipped the tent's opening and stepped outside. The fresh air felt good. He looked over at the newcomers and recognized they were the ones they had been waiting for. He nodded to them. This was one less worry he had.

"Since it was getting dark last night, Mizzy and I agreed we should stop and rest, particularly since we were having trouble seeing some of the rocks in the water. Safety first when you're on the water, right? No point in swimming after dark....well, not because you smashed into a rock. So, we decided to stop while we could still see, turn in early, and get up at the crack of dawn and try to catch up you all when we could more easily navigate the rocks....We were farther behind you guys than we had realized.

Angelo worked to figure out who was Nia and who was Mizzy. He thought he had them sorted. He'd get his chance to ask his question soon. At least they knew when to stop in order to keep themselves safe. The relief was writ large on his face.

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot my manners. My name is Nia, and this is my daughter Mizzy. This is the first time we have paddled out this way. Oh, your coffee smells heavenly!"

Farine made notes on this too. Nia was the older woman .. and Nia, her daughter.. She firmed up her impressions then moved to be a hostess.. her gaze flickered on Angelo. His freshly washed face alerted her that he was putting in effort to look settled. "Coffee? We have it.. " She moved to where the mugs were... and held out two for the women to use.

Angelo felt this was his chance. 'Do either of you have any medical training? I seem to have come down with something." He made sure to keep his distance. The last thing he wanted to do was get anyone else sick on their precious vacation time.

Billie and her parents unzipped their red tent and ambled out into the morning light slowly. Billy said that she sure had been grateful for the glow sticks during the night. Then she smelled the coffee and smiled at Farine and asked for some. Farine handed her and her parents some with a good morning smile. She was happy and up to the day. Coffee was such a blessing.

Billie then noticed the two newcomers. She was so happy to see them, and relieved to see them. She greeted them with a hearty good morning and hand shakes.

Farine was surprised to hearing unaccustomed voices... two of them... she was just pouring herself a cup of coffee. She heard..

She turned and smiled.. "After a lot of trips out this way, we've had a variation of every type of day one you can imagine. Good to see you. "

Angelo was resting lightly in their cot in the tent. Their voices carried effortlessly to where he was.. He was burning with a fever and maybe one of them had more training than they had. He splashed some water from a basin on his face and scrubbed at it with a hand towel. He'd look less affected that way. He didn't want to scare them. He tested his stability before walking out among them. Good. He could appear mostly okay. He unzipped the tent's opening and stepped outside. The fresh air felt good. He looked over at the newcomers and recognized they were the ones they had been waiting for. He nodded to them. This was one less worry he had.

Angelo worked to figure out who was Nia and who was Mizzy. He thought he had them sorted. He'd get his chance to ask his question soon. At least they knew when to stop in order to keep themselves safe. The relief was writ large on his face.

Farine made notes on this too. Nia was the older woman .. and Nia, her daughter.. She firmed up her impressions then moved to be a hostess.. her gaze flickered on Angelo. His freshly washed face alerted her that he was putting in effort to look settled. "Coffee? We have it.. " She moved to where the mugs were... and held out two for the women to use.

Angelo felt this was his chance. 'Do either of you have any medical training? I seem to have come down with something." He made sure to keep his distance. The last thing he wanted to do was get anyone else sick on their precious vacation time.

I'm just a recently retired teacher. Sorry, no medical training here," replied Nia. What are your symptoms? Did you bring any NSAIDS? I have some in with our gear-we never travel without them. I've got both Tylenol and Ibuprofen if you need them? Mizzy is a mental health practitioner, so I doubt that will do you much good, either.

Billie then noticed the two newcomers. She was so happy to see them, and relieved to see them. She greeted them with a hearty good morning and hand shakes.

Nia was excited to see more folks in the canoe party. Nia left Mizzy back at the canoe, and went ahead to greet the strangers. For some reason, she immediately connected with Billie-maybe it was that kind, broad inviting smile. Whatever, Billie made her feel welcome. She went over to Billie, and offered an elbow, saying, "e-Bow-me, it's a Covid thing" one of those germ reducing greetings. Billie offered her an elbow tap and the two laughed.

Isn't it just amazing here....so beautiful and serene? Sorry we missed the first evening, but so glad to be here. We are planning to be out on the water about a week, doing this mother-daughter vacation thing. I just love nature, and I brought my camera hoping to get a few bird photos and some pics of us in the wild.

I don't mean to be nosey, but did you hear? Angelo, seems to be under the weather........they are looking for someone with medical expertise.....all Mizzy and I have are some NSAIDS.....are you feeling okay? I hope it isn't contagious......and I hope it will pass quickly. What's the scoop?

Nia was excited to see more folks in the canoe party. Nia left Mizzy back at the canoe, and went ahead to greet the strangers. For some reason, she immediately connected with Billie-maybe it was that kind, broad inviting smile. Whatever, Billie made her feel welcome. She went over to Billie, and offered an elbow, saying, "e-Bow-me, it's a Covid thing" one of those germ reducing greetings. Billie offered her an elbow tap and the two laughed.

Isn't it just amazing here....so beautiful and serene? Sorry we missed the first evening, but so glad to be here. We are planning to be out on the water about a week, doing this mother-daughter vacation thing. I just love nature, and I brought my camera hoping to get a few bird photos and some pics of us in the wild.

I don't mean to be nosey, but did you hear? Angelo, seems to be under the weather........they are looking for someone with medical expertise.....all Mizzy and I have are some NSAIDS.....are you feeling okay? I hope it isn't contagious......and I hope it will pass quickly. What's the scoop?
I've got some acetaminophen if that's any better. Other than that, I don't know much. This sure is a great place, so beautiful. Maybe we will see some other birds. I brought my binoculars. I love it when they sing, you hear them now? Oh, and if you need me to snap some photos of you and your daughter, don't hesitate to ask.

Oh, yes....don't recognize that one......don't they sound heavenly? I'm sure I'll be taking you up on your offer to take some snapshots...

In acknowledging the basics... which Farine had with her in terms of over the counter stuff... she had to also acknowledge that she and Angelo weren't going anywhere.. They were tied to the camp for now.

Nia had said, '
don't mean to be nosey, but did you hear? Angelo, seems to be under the weather........they are looking for someone with medical expertise.....all Mizzy and I have are some NSAIDS.....are you feeling okay? I hope it isn't contagious......and I hope it will pass quickly. What's the scoop?

and Billie had said,
I've got some acetaminophen if that's any better. Other than that, I don't know much.

She looked at the newly minted group and then realized she had to let them explore nearby without her. "Seems like you have all the makings of an excursion.. it's a beautiful day.. make the most of it.. We'll make sure lunch and dinner is setup and ready for you.. " The expression she had for Angelo was concerned without being overly dramatic.

Angelo wanted to seek the comfort of his bed again.. He'd take some painkillers... sure.. they'd take the edge off of his fever. The rest? He'd have to sweat out. He gave a bow .. a courtesy that spared his throat from speaking too much.. said .. "I'll do my best to rid myself of it. " The tone was stretched.. any mother would hear the raspiness of it.. "I'm afraid I'm out of any plans today. "

In acknowledging the basics... which Farine had with her in terms of over the counter stuff... she had to also acknowledge that she and Angelo weren't going anywhere.. They were tied to the camp for now.

Nia had said, '

and Billie had said,

She looked at the newly minted group and then realized she had to let them explore nearby without her. "Seems like you have all the makings of an excursion.. it's a beautiful day.. make the most of it.. We'll make sure lunch and dinner is setup and ready for you.. " The expression she had for Angelo was concerned without being overly dramatic.

Angelo wanted to seek the comfort of his bed again.. He'd take some painkillers... sure.. they'd take the edge off of his fever. The rest? He'd have to sweat out. He gave a bow .. a courtesy that spared his throat from speaking too much.. said .. "I'll do my best to rid myself of it. " The tone was stretched.. any mother would hear the raspiness of it.. "I'm afraid I'm out of any plans today. "
Angelo, my parents and I will be praying for you...rest well.

Farine, your idea for the day is a good one. I'll bring my binoculars and look forward to lunch.

Nia, let's go explore the great outdoors here, ya never know what we will find. Would Mizzy like to come?

Nia had said, '

and Billie had said,

Angelo, my parents and I will be praying for you...rest well.

Farine, your idea for the day is a good one. I'll bring my binoculars and look forward to lunch.

Nia, let's go explore the great outdoors here, ya never know what we will find. Would Mizzy like to come?

"Farine, if it is acceptable, I'd be happy to send Angelo some healing energy.....that is, if he's accepting of that sort of thing. You know his spiritual side-we just met, but I'm always welcoming of energy based healing when I'm feeling in the dumpster. I'll be thinking about him today, anyway. So very sorry you are on the sideline with your canoe adventure. Hope he turns the corner quickly!"

Nia turns to Billie and says,

"Billie, What's your flavor for exploring-nature photography, hiking, bird watching, or are you into plants?......we have choices. I'm bringing my camera.....

Just then, Nia yelled across the way to Mizzy......"Angelo is sick, so we are going to let him rest and go on an adventure with Billie. You are welcome to stay here and rest, or come exploring with us. We will be leaving in about 20 minutes.

"Okay, Mom....will we be swimming anywhere do you think or just hiking and checking out nature?"

Nia turned to Billie-you up for a swim, to cool off a little later? I think Mizzy wanted to know so she could know whether to wear a bathing suit. Out here, it probably doesn't matter, but she likes to be prepared for such events. If we follow the river, we can find a place to cool off when it gets warmer a little later in the day. Maybe we should bring water and some fruit for a snack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back