• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Celebration thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been thinking of this question, and I believe, I was never allowed to celebrate being ME. Just who I am. Birthdays, the cruel joke my oldest sister played on me one Christmas with a house full of people watching me. Lots of stories like this.

Being hated and resented for being born? A member of the human family? Who does that to a little human? Most of us know the answer to that, it's why we are here.

Today, I celebrate ME. The good, the work in progress, the things about me that make ME unhappy, not what others think I should change.

I look back, and see what all my haters, then and now, missed out on. I'm not being arrogant, this is my truth today. I celebrate ME.

Great thread @Sietz... hugs to you for starting it, and celebrating YOU!! :hug:'s

We never celebrated my father's birthday; he hated holidays. He had a father from hell that for sure would never have let him celebrate birthdays or any holiday probably, so that is why he was that way, I bet.

I never even did stick around for my high school graduation, so no, I never celebrated it either. I left town the last day I had classes and never looked back, except to visit occasionally.

My husband's funeral. Nope, missed that too. It was all arranged by his P.O.A. and she failed to inform me of anything. There was a notice in the paper, but which paper? Which day was it in there? I missed it and I missed the funeral. The P.O.A. knew where I was. She could have made a small gesture. She later came to give me the remainder of the funeral fund. She handed it to me personally. So she knew how to find me. She also handed me his obit then too. And the Funeral card.

So, yeh, I missed a few other things too.

Interesting point about my father. He let us celebrate all our birthdays and holidays, just would not let us celebrate his! I seriously have thought he was PTSD for years. He never talked about his experiences in WWII, did not much talk about what his father did to him, though he did say what his father did to his mother. He drank, I think, to ease the emotional pain he had to have suffered in all those things. He would get angry a lot. Especially at us kids, he would get angry about noise. He hated Christmas too, of course.

Anyway, yeh, celebrations in my house were never what they should have been.

At least though, my husband was a celebrant of things many. I have lots of holiday memories to cherish.

This is a lovely thread. I have never even thought about the fact that I never celebrated anything for myself. I only celebrate my birthday when someone else remembers (kiddo always remembers now that she's old enough!) and holidays are for other people, not myself. I got a Master's degree and didn't go to the ceremony - didn't even think of it. Looking back, I've done tons of things, but never celebrated any of it. I honestly don't know how I'd like to celebrate, or even if I want to celebrate, but it's a nice thought. :)
Happy birthday and happy 2018, @Sietz :)

AH, OK, First off, I want my high school diploma. I never got it! (I did receive a gold medal for making the 95 % Honor roll though.) Then I want to go out for pizza and root beer (craft root beer) for most of the rest of it. It will be a quiet celebration, just me, myself and I. (And whoever happens to be in the pizza place/ restaurant with me, which is usually the bar tender, as I go at 4 PM to avoid crowds).

For my husband, I got some flowers and placed them into the ocean not far from where his ashes had been strewn. I said some sort of prayers (I was not yet Christian then) and then I tossed the bit of his ashes into the sea that had been given to me for one of those pendants they give to widows. I still have photos of the place where I placed the ashes. I even have a magnet on my fridge with a photo of that place. SO I did not let anything stop me on that one, now that I remember.

As to celebrating my Dad's birthday, maybe next year I will do something on that day. I have to think about what.

The first birthday party that was ever given for me was when I turned 50! I sort of thought about having one this year, but never got around to it. Maybe next year.... if I did do it, I would hold it at my church. If only I could get someone else to plan it. I have never planned a party before! I would not know where to start except that balloons I think are part of it. That and ice cream and cake. Then there has to be music, right? Yes, I can plan a birthday party I think, now that I look into it further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back