• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Claims Ptsd Is Being Faked In Military

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girl3 you hit the nail right on the head! There is the stigma and being a vet the therapists make you sound like that title of "PTSD" is going to be a HUGE banner over your head saying that you're weak...and you can't cope with a "little" stress. They talked you out of being tested, because (as they LOVE to throw this out) you won't be able to EVER own a firearm... This is PTDS diagnosis is rough to hear and with the negetive way that they speak of it, the convince a LOT of them that they don't have it...and that they never did...there was a HUGE investigation here at the base going back 5 years and re examining the diagnosis that they would tag onto soldiers with "adjustment disorder" and then unceremonisously kicked them out leaving them feeling even worse then when they started.

This article is infuriating...makes me want to see how they would feel out in theater going out on partol not knowing who is out there and if they would come back. See how they like it out there for 12-15 months...away from everything that makes sense... I think the diagnosis would come easier if we could just send them out there to see what REALLY goes on and the anxiety you feel!

There is no law preventing people with PTSD from owning guns. I know this isnt the point of this thread, but thought I'd clarify. The closest thing to such a law is a question on the 4440 form, which is the background check you must fill out if buying a gun from a dealer. The question is

Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes having been adjudicated incompetent to manage your own affairs) or have you ever been committed to a mental institution?

Just because you have ptsd or some other disorder doesnt mean you are mentally defective. In effect, it is the responsibility of the person buying the gun to decide for themselves if they are a threat to others or not. Most people with ptsd probably are not a threat to anyone but themselves. It is also a therapist's responsibility to alert law enforcement if they beleive there is a significant chance their client will be a threat to others or themselves. Other than those two things, you can buy as many guns as you want.

Exactly. No response. Because for blogger-journalists, all that is important is what THEY haave to say about something, facts or no.
I read something that I got this exact sentiment from earlier today, about diagnostic mental health or not. The blogger was adamant that diagnosis was killing mental health, yet then couldn't provide an alternative to adequately cater the flip side of universality between physicians.

I feel sick to my very core.

On another forum I go on, someone has started a thread about this... They honestly think hard working people who fought for their country have now suddenly decided to fake PTSD in order to get the benefits...

It sent a shiver down my spine and how terrible these people are that think like that. This person also implied alcoholics/drug addicts were weak and had no self control... It was awful. I am still in shock and reeling....

Anthony, did you see the program recently - about one of the top military guys (I can't remember his name) responsible for several hundred military and tours through Afganistan now saying he has severe PTSD. He can't drive and feels devastating guilt for the men who lost their lives under his command. I was in tears listening to him and hearing his pain talking about it all.

And it isn't just the guys at the top exposed to this level of trauma. They all are.

Makes me so mad when I hear about 'fake' military claims for PTSD. The military are exposed to trauma every day during tours and they are not supported as well as they should be when they do have disabilities including PTSD.

I haven't heard of it, though I've seen it all myself. Lived it. Had superiors and subordinates affected by this. Seen it all first hand at all levels, all degrees of exposure. My own company commander fell apart, never leaving his tent, due to nothing more than the things going on around him. His soldiers being injured and so forth. He snapped in the end, due to nothing more than being the one responsible for sending others out in harms way.

I am also diagnosed as severe... operated in war zones, peace keeping and humanitarian, both as a soldier and commander to others, and the effects differ per person. Unfortunately this is one area I have first hand knowledge in... and it pissing me of to no end that some soldiers fake this shit, or use it to play on.

The media are worse though IMHO than those trying to play upon PTSD. I read yesterday some US paper claiming a cure for PTSD. I guessed what it was before opening, being Lipov's SGB. They're posting that nonsense for their readers, when his results are hit and miss, and showing little overall compared to CBT treatments. Absolute nonsense all for a headline and interest. The world is full of f*cked up individuals IMHO.

Perhaps there are vets who are faking the system. Unfortunately, there are people everywhere that do this, not just about PTSD. They make the rest of us look bad, hence articles like this. Are there therapists that push this? Probably, but I don't think they are the majority. Awhile back, when sexual abuse repressed memories were in question, I did have a therapist who made suggestions and seemed drawn to that diagnosis. This was early in my treatment. Needless to say, I stopped seeing her.

This being said, I hate articles such as the one this lady put together. It definitely seems inflated. She talks like it is the majority instead of the minority. I have an Uncle who served in Vietnam. There was no understanding when they came back. He still suffers to this day and his way of medicating is alcohol, possibly drugs. He would be a prime candidate for PTSD treatment.

What she said undermines these soldiers. My mom would say she was talking out of her butt(to put it nicely). The scary thing is the number of people that will believe completely in what this woman is saying as if it was said by God. I find that more threatening then her spouting off her logic.

We can only hope that people will prevail with common sense and realize things are not black and white. These soldiers have gone through enough without having to fight people's uninformed beliefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back