• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Comfort Food Ideas For When You Have No Appetite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay melvin! Hoory for veganism lol!
Hodge- i normally just fry it until it turns slightly golden, or sometimes i put it in a vegan lasagne in the oven...unfortunatly i cant think of any specific recipes at the moment, but there is a whole heap on the net and in cookbooks(even vego not vegan ones), just do a search i guess, and if i think of any i'll let you know!

Thanks, I'll have to do some searching. I just look at this blob in a package at the market and I'm kind of clueless. Though I guess one could say that about looking at meat at the market as well, if you didn't have any experience with it, ha, ha.

No, it is a blob in a package... Hubs used to eat it. LOL when it brings a gag reflex before my symptoms kicked in I would not say comfort food. But I guess some others who are vegan that meat can do the same, but I used to put my own meat in the freezer so not an issue for me as I spoiled every animal and prayed before every process to be swift and painless and thank for my food. But the white block always made me gag... Cannot do it.

Sorry, veiled, I sure didn't mean to bring up yucky gagging memories. We can definitely set aside any further "blob in a package" ideas for another thread or pms.

Actually I would love to know how to make it edible (for others)... Cannot swear I would eat it or not gag over the soy. But I am from the South where jokes are made we fry our grease for supper LOL. But I did learn to make spring rolls with rice paper. Not the fried ones but the soft ones fresh ones. Not for me to do now as it takes a lot of patience learning how to do it and not tear the rice paper. Not patient now.

But I did learn the local cook off here is doing Rocky Mountain Oysters right now. OK, the blob made me gag but knowing my hubs ate those, I swear I almost threw up in my mouth and think I did a little knowing I kissed him. I asked how is that a cook off? You eat oysters raw. DUH... Nasty MF. No wonder he ate tofu hee hee... Anything is a step up. :biggrin:

I must admit the first time i tryed tofu, i totally and utterly despised it! But then i added all sorts of sauces and marinades and other foods into ti so its barely recognisable, even from a vegans point of view, its pretty icky on its own!!

Veiled, do I have the right idea of what you mean by Rocky Mountain Oysters? I believe that around these parts that is the euphemism for bulls' testicles. Yuck, yuck, yuck. Now I'm gagging, too. Isn't this supposed to be about comfort food? Ha, ha.

I like spring rolls, but never had the ones with rice paper, only the fried ones. Making those sounds like quite the project. Reminds me of making crepes. An ordeal, but worth it.

BassistKara, thanks for your honest opinion. I'd really like to try to incorporate tofu into our meals . . . we'll see.

Just try dont dump a whole lot of it into the meal the first time!!
And after reading this thing about spring rolls, i have a craving for some vegan ones i found the other in the supermarket!

one of the first ways I learned to make tofu was this, first place a chunk of extra firm tofu between two cutting boards and place a heavy can on top let vsit for a few hours. That gets rid of some extra water in the tofu. After that, I like to freeze the tofu in a freezer bag with some garlic, tamari, braggs, herbs whatever seems good... when tofu is frozen it gets a much firmer texture... if you are a texture eater this can be very important. When the tofu is thawed it can then be baked or fried or whatever. I know it sounds complicated, but I just prep my tofu this way when I unpack my groceries and its ready when needed. Try tempeh too, it is even easier to prepare and makes a great ground meat sub when crumbled.:loopy:

Thanks for the detailed tips, Melvin. You sound like the kind of food storer and cook I am :-) Only I never thought of freezing meat with herbs and stuff all together. Okay, I have to ask: what are tamari and braggs?

I was going to ask what is tempeh?

And you were right about the "oysters", Hodge and this is comfort food so I shut up LOL (did not mean to ruin the tread but my mind wanders...) I have had a major gag reflex that even butter makes me want to puke for the past week. Not the taste put feeling grease on my hand and smelling food is making me very ill. So doubt I will try any new flavors beyond toast and teas for a while. Plus I have had some extra stressors pop up all at once that are not "normal".

So for food to keep down I have to vote for toast, tea, potato. Bland right now is to keep things down along with Sprite Zero to burp. I will probably still gain!

The spring rolls were rices paper wrapped with loose leaf lettuce, mint and a smidgen of carrot. (not much carrot as it rips the paper). If you are not vegan add a slice of grilled chicken or shrimp. Depending on the shape of your tummy peanut sauce to dip. Every roll must be kept under a wet towel to keep moist. Very refreshing and hardly heavy. Jasmine rice is perfect with it.

Thanks for not talking more about the "oysters," veiled. Ick. Maybe this thread will take on more the comforting food thing I was trying for. Sorry for what I did to sidetrack that. And I totally relate to what you said about butter. Yuck. I have a problem with mint, though. Don't know why. It just doesn't agree with me.

Folks, it might be good for us all (me, of course, included) to try to be a bit more sensitive from now on to other peoples' food difficulties as people have posted in this thread. After all, the idea is to try to post ideas to help those of us who have trouble finding things we can eat when we're upset.

Thanks very much.

And, Melvin, if braggs and tamari doesn't fit into the category veiled and I described just above, could you please post it in a pm to me or a separate thread? Thanks very much. But do tell us about tempeh in this thread - if, that is, you think it's not going to make us nauseous, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back