• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Confused about having urges to act like a baby (not angry or upset)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilac98

Policy Enforcement
Last night I was in bed trying to sleep but i couldn't relax cause I felt physically uncomfortable. It felt like something was trying to burst out of me. I had strong urges to make baby noises like how a baby would talk without words and wave my arms around whilst laying in bed. I wasn't upset or angry or thinking about anything, I had just been trying to sleep. I ignored the urges mostly apart from sucking on a blanket hoping it would soothe the more embarrassing urges which I did not want to do. I don't have any diagnosed dissociative disorder. I've not felt like this before and im really confused about it and want to know what people think about what might be going on. I'm asking for opinions only not a diagnosis.

Inarticulate thrashing about isn’t exactly uncommon when trying to get to sleep.

Nor is the urge to throw a tantrum… whether in adult style, or childishly pouting/wailing/hurling oneself to the floor/screwing your face up and balling up fists/rocking/sucking/banging your head/etc..

No disorder or diagnosis needed, just a human “at my limit” indicator… whether emotionally, or in exhaustion, hunger, etc.

Last edited:
I found this thing about age regression explaining it a bit.
(I'm not a teenager but it was useful to read)

I'm calling it babyspace. Hope this doesn't become a more regular thing, it felt really uncomfortable. I'm not sure what exactly triggered it. I had felt icky about down there earlier in the day and nothing seemed to trigger that either. I was just trying to sleep not thinking about anything other than learning Japanese and maybe trying Korean or hindi and bam I had urges to act like a baby 🤔

Inarticulate thrashing about isn’t exactly uncommon when trying to get to sleep.
I wasn't actually waving my arms about, cause I ignored the urge cause I didn't want to do it. And it was more like an urge to move my arms like a baby playing with those things where they lay down on a mat and have toys dangling about them rather than because I couldn't sleep.

I experience involuntary regression in session and at home sometimes. It’s kind of like how you describe… something needing to get out of me. Part of me thinks it would be okay to voluntarily regress but my T is not encouraging of it because she says it goes against my goal of interacting with adults in a mature way.

From what I’ve read about it it does seem to mostly be a lot of teenagers and people in their 20s. Also there’s a ton of stigma around it. For me, when it happens I try to roll with it but when it’s done I don’t seek it out.

Oh, there’s something called Primal Therapy, which is controversial, but they encourage and provoke regression as a healing mechanism.

I experience involuntary regression in session and at home sometimes. It’s kind of like how you describe… something needing to get out of me. Part of me thinks it would be okay to voluntarily regress but my T is not encouraging of it because she says it goes against my goal of interacting with adults in a mature way.

From what I’ve read about it it does seem to mostly be a lot of teenagers and people in their 20s. Also there’s a ton of stigma around it. For me, when it happens I try to roll with it but when it’s done I don’t seek it out.
I'm 24 tomorrow. It felt horrible I don't want to act like a baby

It felt horrible I don't want to act like a baby
So...don't. By your own account, it was an entirely voluntary thing. You were in bed, you had a new emotional experience.

That's not me trying to be dismissive, it's me discouraging your enthusiasm to turn every new experience into evidence of significant underlying pathology. Some things we experience are just being human. You have a lot of issues going on, this only needs to be one of them if you want it to be.

So...don't. By your own account, it was an entirely voluntary thing. You were in bed, you had a new emotional experience.

That's not me trying to be dismissive, it's me discouraging your enthusiasm to turn every new experience into evidence of significant underlying pathology. Some things we experience are just being human. You have a lot of issues going on, this only needs to be one of them if you want it to be.
The actions were voluntary the feeling wasn't and that was what was bothering me.

Last edited:
The actions were voluntary the feeling wasn't
Emotions aren't typically volunteering. Something triggers happiness and Bam! We feel happy. Something triggers anger, and Bam! We feel angry. There's no conscious decision to feel a particular way - that's not how feelings work. Again, incredibly normal. Entirely consistent with the human experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back