• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Medical Cpr

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is so much like my experience! It was partially the fact that people acted like nothing was happening that was traumatizing! It was surreal and like you say it seemed like, 'a figment of my imagination'. Then my friends couldn't understand why I cried all week and wasn't my usual self.

The restaurant staff tried several times to get me to go back to my table claiming that he did that all the time. Please.

A long time had passed doing cpr and I gave up, being the first and only time I have seen death, wow is it obvious when a person is gone. So, I walked away back toward my room, and a man came running down the hall towards the restaurant, "I'm a doctor, I'm a doctor!".

I have to give credit to him and primarily the man that ran up from the beach and joined me in cpr, it was unfair to say no one helped but thank you for confirming my experience, Albatross.

I really appreciate both of your support and acknowledgement that intervening in an emergency can really need you up :) there's normalcy in knowing that for me. Sometimes the part I think I struggle with most is the helpless people around me, the feeling of it not being real, and how in either case for me nothing went "textbook", but I'm so glad it did for someone! Gives me hope :)

My ex-partner (We are still close friends) had to revive me after I hung myself. She was clearly scarred by the ideal even though she was able to save me. I know for a fact that the smell of a certain chemical that was present at the time can put her right back in the moment. The effect on her has been devastating with her now suffering Post Traumatic Stress Disorder I will forward this post on to her as I believe she would love some one to chat to who has experienced this also.

I wish you a world peace

I know this is an older post but I have been struggling with PTSD after performing CPR. I'm happy to say the individual is alive and well, however, I still really struggle with loud noises in the workplace or if people run towards me (automatically thinking they will need first aid etc.). Have things improved for you?

Hi all,

I just wanted to put a feeler out and find out if anyone else's trauma was a result of perfor...

My husband fell on top of me Christmas Eve just before we were going up to bed. I thought he was joking but I looked at him and saw he wasn't moving and I knew something was wrong. I grabbed the phone and dialed 911. I was shaking so badly it took me 3 tries to get the number. I screamed at the operator that he was not breathing. He told me I had to lay him on his back and do cpr. I did cpr for about 10 minutes until the paramedics arrived. They got a pulse back at 23 minutes and we went to the hospital. After 4 days on life support they moved him to another hospital. He got 3 surgeries including a quad bypass and pacemaker. Yes he's alive and home now, but every time he calls my name I fear that I'm about to begin living another trauma. That is causing me anxiety and I don't know how to get over it. Anyone else have this kind of experience? Please let me know how you learned to cope.

Things improved for me after a few years. My senses would not move on and small triggers brought the aroma of his death back as if it were the same moment. But the most difficult aspect for me was letting go that it was my fault he died. At the time I knew nothing about heart failure, nor had I seen CPR during an actual crisis. Somehow I believed that CPR would restore life, and therefore it must have been my poor CPR that destroyed life. I now recognize that even with the most experienced doctor, it is unlikely he would have lived, especially since the ambulance took so long.

but every time he calls my name I fear that I'm about to begin living another trauma. That is causing me anxiety and I don't know how to get over it.

I cannot imagine the terror of doing CPR on a loved one. The amazing thing is your ability to focus on the CPR in the midst of possible horrible loss! I would imagine it difficult to separate the potential loss of hearing your name called from the previous CPR event. I am both sorry for what you have been through and applaud your focus in crisis!

A persons chances of surviving cardiac arrest outside of the hospital are less than five percent. your ability to perform, or not perform cpr properly was most likely not a factor in the outcome.

I had training that said 10%... but that may have changed. AED's when/if they're available can boost an outcome. It is my habit to know if they're in a place and where they are.

Quote....."A persons chances of surviving cardiac arrest outside of the hospital are less than five percent"

Aye! I will go along with that, in all the times we used CPR when I was in the emergency services, it only worked once!

I think that was because we were right there at the time when it happened, luckily we were passing the accident scene, on our way back from another job.

Yet, you see it working all the time in the movies and TV, but then again, they have to keep the viewer happy

I don't see it that way exactly. I see it as, and made it a point to teach... that there are no observable physical signs or symptoms to discern who may revive someone and who will not... but they do deserve that opportunity if a bystander is capable.

My own great uncle Joe had many difficulties. My great aunt called 911 and after a time EMS pressed her to make the "call" to end CPR. She refused. They continued for over 40 minutes and got him back. He lived a relatively normal life for another three years. No one can "know" but I don't find it much of a stretch to try as long as you are able.

@Albatross no one is saying to not try and do CPR. The point being made is if you do cpr properly, or not so properly you cannot hold yourself responsible for their nor surviving.
The chances of a person surviving cardiac arrest outside of the hospital setting is very low. Yes the availability of an AED can increase the chances, but they still remain very low.
The original poster attempted CPR on a person, and that person did not survive. The op is not responsible for her friend not surviving. My response was to alleviate the guilt they are feeling at their friends passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back