• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Dating Someone With A Traumatic Past When You Have Ptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Whispering_Truth. Thanks for the advice. I told him about all of it, and he responded with immense kindness and understanding. Still, I am a big believer in animal friendships as well, and think investing emotional energy in animals is a really good idea. I'm glad you found such an unconditional source of love. "Their actions always speak louder than their words" - one of the most important things I've learned in my life. Love is an action and "I love you" often doesn't mean sh**.

Wow, all of the different posts I have read have been so insightful. I am really reluctant to get back into another relationship after having so many faltered ones although I've learned something from each of them. Part of me wants to get back on the horse yet another part of me is content and less stressed focusing on my career and just living life. I felt so hopeful about this last relationship though when my boyfriend went through a series of losses, his symptoms became full blown and everything seemed to blow up in our faces. My mom had been in the hospital with a medical illness and neither of us had the energy to mend / repair or be there for one another. Early in the relationships we were communicating well, expressing our needs, validating one another though there were other parts (his what appeared to be an inability to commit) that made it really difficult for me. He's never received treatment and I've been in recovery for years so that alone made us on different pages. It stinks when you've invested into something that felt hopeful and it turns upside down in no time flat, so frustrating and has made me sad, relieved, and confused all at the same time. :depressed::cry::dead:

@OneToughCookie I was going to offer my advice but it seems you already did what I was going to say! :) It is wonderful that you were able to tell him everything and he reacted appropriately. The one mistake I made and I have always regretted was keeping my past traumas a secret from any of my boyfriends (which were few) and from my significant other. I think if I had said something from the very beginning it would have helped our relationship immensely.:oops:
Kudos to you for being so open. I wish you the best with your relationship.
L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back