• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Did your therapist share their treatment plan with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie3

New Here
Hi everyone. Just wondering if you were therapist has reviewed your treatment plan and goals with you. My therapist has never done this and I am wondering if it is normal or not. I mean I have my own goals for myself but I guess I would like to know what her goals are for me. I asked her today and she avoided my question. Just wondering if that is typically something that is shared with the client or not. Also do you know what modalities are being used in your session? Thanks I’m advance for your time!

Yes and no.
My T let's things progress organically.

Her modality: she mainly used relational transactional analysis. But she also has a number of other modalities: psychotherapy; CBT; coaching, and various others. So I don't necessarily know what modality she is using in each session or switches too within each session. Unless she explains the theory behind what she is doing. She does that sometimes for various reasons (to help address the power imbalance as I feel inferior to her at times that she knows everything and I don't; and to help me understand what she is doing and why)..

Goals: she lets me decide and these goals are sometimes tiny in session goals rather than long term goals. But we do both, and in sutble ways. So sometimes I'm not even aware we set a goal!

Are you asking as you're not clear about your goals and the way your T is working with you? Do you feel able to ask your T?

yes, we have a treatment plan and specefic theraputic modalites which are discussed freqently. but i'm the kind of person that needs that-i'm not sure if she does that with every one of her clients. i like to be kept in the loop about what's going on-what she thinks, what she feels, what she analyzes, all that. and we do have goals and those are directed by me.

Yes and no.
My T let's things progress organically.

Her modality: she mainly used relational transactional analysis. But she also has a number of other modalities: psychotherapy; CBT; coaching, and various others. So I don't necessarily know what modality she is using in each session or switches too within each session. Unless she explains the theory behind what she is doing. She does that sometimes for various reasons (to help address the power imbalance as I feel inferior to her at times that she knows everything and I don't; and to help me understand what she is doing and why)..

Goals: she lets me decide and these goals are sometimes tiny in session goals rather than long term goals. But we do both, and in sutble ways. So sometimes I'm not even aware we set a goal!

Are you asking as you're not clear about your goals and the way your T is working with you? Do you feel able to ask your T?
Thank you for your response. I like the way your therapist involves you. I asked my therapist if she had a treatment plan for me. She said she did. But when I asked her what my goals were, she wouldn’t tell me. I was left feeling pretty confused…

Just wondering if you were therapist has reviewed your treatment plan and goals with you.
Also do you know what modalities are being used in your session?
Yep, to both.

They’re something I discuss with any/all/every therapist first when I’m interviewing them (what modalities they prefer/are proficient in, and how they like to go about treatment plans); and then treatment plans are discussed at later dates. Just starting out / getting an overview, during big changes (pos/neutral/neg), or touching base.

No. She avoids answering by saying things like I want you to be free. I want you to have freedom. I get angry and there are periods of time I doubt her. Then she floors me with some insight. I know her credentials and her background. I know she’s an expert in her field. That being said she hasn’t got the credentials of some of the other experts. But I saw people with those credentials and they weren’t all they were cracked up to be, Van der Kolk for example. They were supposed to be the best of the best .

I’ve accused her of winging it. I’ve castigated her for not following up on previous threads and discussions which she admits sheepishly.

But she knows things and she won’t tell me till I’m ready. I’ve seen that. There is a part (of me) that plays tricks on her . There is a part that says I’m sitting right in front of you and you can’t see me.

I think we are getting beyond some of that now. It takes a long time.

We do a sort of check in every now and then - I guess it’s annual thinking about it? About goals and direction. I used to be quite goal oriented but now feel intimidated by them so we play it by ear more . My goals are based around emotional function and very low bar.

I find no matter what goals therapists give, they are often generic list according to diagnosis or assessment and lack the true human uniqueness of it all.

Unless it is like you have ptsd and 10 sessions in your insurance so let us focus on your coping skills etc, I find it is abstract and it changes organically depending what you bring to the table at any given time.

Personally, I find (and this is my issue BTW), I rather not focus on what the therapist think or feels "I need" but that hopefully they are kind and empathic enough to let me utilize their "otherness" to help me find what got lost in my developing, formative years being abused and too scared to learn with an unstable attachment figure. I come from the feeling/thinking of the therapist is sitting for everybody else in my life so I cannot predict what they think or want, but I can take full advantage about how I feel and think with them just to become more aware. I am aware of this and share and hope to be accepted by them and then let my mind lose in their presence so I can recognize myself all over again.

I set my own therapy goals. The reason I go to therapy is my reason. It changes over time a little as I make progress, but it's my goals.

At periodic intervals, my T and I have a discussion about whether our treatment approach is optimal for working towards those goals. So, she comes up with the treatment plan, based on my goals, and we review that together. Usually on those days when I turn up, exasperated and hopeless and depressed, and say "I can't see any point to this anymore."

Hi everyone. Just wondering if you were therapist has reviewed your treatment plan and goals with you. My therapist has never done this and I am wondering if it is normal or not. I mean I have my own goals for myself but I guess I would like to know what her goals are for me. I asked her today and she avoided my question. Just wondering if that is typically something that is shared with the client or not. Also do you know what modalities are being used in your session? Thanks I’m advance for your time!
I asked my first T to....she never did. My current T did....and asked for my input. She stated that all T's are expected to create and share a copy of the treatment plan with the client.....and clients should have....ideally.....a say in their goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back