• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Dissociating from emotions. Am I alone in this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the reply. I never heard of or tried parts work before. It seems like a really good idea and i will bring it up to my therapist. I also did some research on it and found that its been around for decades and has been found to be tried and true. I do try to geound myself with therapy, what i call dropping anchor. But sometimes i just cant. Sometimes i just have to escape and come out of myself. For my own sanity and safety. I hope and pray for healing everyday. I know the road is long but i wont lose hope. I cant. If not for me then for my kids and husband. P.S. i found some amazing artwork online that is associated with parts therapy. Its so beautiful u can just feel what they are feeling through the art.
I also have kids and a husband. I get it. If not for me/us, I'll do it for them.

I've started art therapy. It was very needed. I hope you can find something similar.

I struggle with emotional dissociation in every aspect of my life I miss so many things this way but I have not been able to truly break through. After a decade of therapy and two T that have been amazingly patient with me helped me in my struggle I am feeling the physical side of emotions slowly anger is the easiest but as I am blessed with two children that amaze me every day I am learning quickly the way love unconditional love feels. Not just saying and meaning it but the overwhelming bring tears just because they are near and want a hug from me.

Emotional dissociation has saved my life and I truly believe is a protective part of our mind but significant and repeated trauma has a way of convincing that part that it must stay in place to continue to protect and we don’t even realize what is gone
I can relate to this. I have had years of abuse and am in counseling to work through my healing. Crying is something I cannot do. I hate feeling disconnected from the people I love. I have been afraid to trust and let people in my life. It is so hard.

I can relate to this. I have had years of abuse and am in counseling to work through my healing. Crying is something I cannot do. I hate feeling disconnected from the people I love. I have been afraid to trust and let people in my life. It is so hard.
It is hard, but I'm glad that you keep on trying. That is what we can do.

I have no difficulty expressing or feeling positive emotions: happiness, excitement, joy, etc.

If sadness or anger are not related to myself, I am also able to feel sad or angry.

But in therapy, I dissociate almost instantly when anything going on in session provokes sadness or anger. I haven't cried a single tear in over 2 years. I just fade away/forget or other parts of me become active. What do you all do to feel if you've ever struggled with this?

I read about others' experiences in which they struggle with being overly emotional or angry. I wish I could feel. I don't know what else to do.

My therapist is amazing and patient. I struggle with OSDD in addition to PTSD.
Thanks for saying this. I have been wishing "to feel" for many years. When I mention it - people look at me like I'm crazy.

Still new to therapy. Just wondering what “trauma holder” and “our protector” means? I have heard of EMDR and would like to try it if possible.

I have one true exile, who is the memory keeper of the Xtra traumatic memories, and then there is another part who had childhood medical trauma....."lostforgottensoul". Then there is a protector part who regulates information ......and can get quite loud/noisy if I'm not attentive and respectful of this part's position. Communication with these parts is essential for growth, cooperation, and mental peace. I have multiple traumas and several parts with those memories (they are trauma holders). Protective parts can make you feel sick, have cramps or feal nauseous, hear tinnitus louder or ringing in your ear, start dissociation, or vertigo/dizziness, or do whatever to prevent you from taking the memories out of the past and examining them.

Last edited:
My hear goes out to you. I have had this same struggle so so so much! The minute i feel negative emotions for myself, i instantly dissociate. At the same time, i can over react emotionally and feel the negative emotions too much where its not necessarily warrented. With my C-PTSD emotional dis regulation is a huge thing. And i also struggle with severe dissociation on top of that. I literally jump out of my body and “float away”. I wish there was an easy answer. I just try to stay focused in the hear and now to keep it from happening. Another user here told me about a technique called “dropping anchor” to sort of keep yourself in yourself and not dissociate. Its been really helpful to me. Just getting to a point emotionally where i can actually do it is what im working on now. you are not alone! Dont give up on yourself! You are amazing and you are wonderful!

I seem to "jump" out of myself too. Automaticely. I actually never realized it till I noticed that all my childhood memories are from the 3rd person. I feel and view all my memories from.. up there. I seem to be floating up in the corner of the ceiling, just watching the story unfold. Even the memories I have of my own abuse(s) are all from the 3rd person.

I don't know how to see any of them from 1st person. Could the feelings be that intense, that I can't handle them from First person?

I'll never forget when I was a little kid and I went to sleep and was half dreaming that the room I was in, started getting smaller and smaller. I could see myself sleeping and that vision would get bigger and bigger. That was back when I was 6? 7? Somewhere around there. So no.. You re not alone.

I'll never forget when I was a little kid and I went to sleep and was half dreaming that the room I was in, started getting smaller and smaller. I could see myself sleeping and that vision would get bigger and bigger. That was back when I was 6? 7? Somewhere around there. So no.. You re not alone.

Thanks, good to know.

Well, the better parts of us don't feel negative emotions, don't have negative memories, they don't care for the past, they don't live in that past/they never did/, and are those who can have fun and function in life. Well, i'm back again with the negative memories and emotions. I always come for no reasion like a deadly injection in our bloodstream combined with large dose of psyhosis. It's been almost 18 hours since i'm back, will try not to eat at all or do something stupid hoping the others to take control and fix my mess again, and again. I'm so tired of this and freaking out that it will never stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back