• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Distractions during therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.
One time, a therapist and I colored together in a therapy session as we talked.
Wow I bet that was good might suggest it to mine .

I played a board game with my therapist last session. I walked in and she was finishing putting st...
I have already been in therapy for years and so hey cptsd has kicked me in the ass again, when I thought I had worked through all of my stuff, oh the joys of this ptsd crap xx

Last edited by a moderator:
I have natural fidgeters...my fingers, my rings, my glasses, my pen, and when push comes to too much shoving, my feet dance. Playing a game would be great but if it were to be a dice-type of game, the T would have to wrestle the dice out of my hands just to be able to take his turn! I don't know how you can play games or color! You guys amaze me at how differently you cope and how you approach your therapy!

I have natural fidgeters...my fingers, my rings, my glasses, my pen, and when push comes to too...
I really need to colour or doodle while having therapy, for some reason nhs therapists would not appreciate that though. Thinking about private therapy in the UK . It is pricy but if it works it is worth the money Right ? Especially if it works. NHS therapy worked too but I can’t get any more had my fair share over the past 3 years. More therapy now needed where do I go from here ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for this post. I'm glad to know that its normal to do this. I play with my jewlery or scarf in therapy as a distraction. Recently in EMDR, I got to hold a stuffed toy, which was really soothing during some processing. That was an accidental discovery. The reason I had it then was sometimes the T has me toss the toy to her and back as a grounding and relational building exercise. But I kind wish i can have a stuffed toy with me next time I do tough stuff too...

My T has a ton of “fidget” things- cubes, putty, spinners, marbles and stones etc. I could never u...
I just had to order the magnetic balls lol. I have a couple figit spinners but I give it a spin and put it down. The guitar is my main thing. I play it whenever I'm doing anything passive. I would even play it watching tv except that has become a together thing with my wife and I and if I do it she leaves the room. I have one upstairs and one down and never in the case both with a capo and a slide. (Actually I have only one slide I misplaced the other one.). While actually in session I don't need any distractions except I stand up sometimes or get off the couch and sit on the floor.

I tend to faff around with my scarf and also have a habit of repeatedly taking my jewellery off and putting it back on again. Not sure if that is a distraction though - maybe just more of a manifestation of anxiety!

I was recently struggling with some intrusive thoughts and my T suggested I buy a stress ball to distract myself. I actually bought a fidget cube and quite like it. I had it in my pocket for therapy the other week and quite liked having a play with it there so I might take it with me again. I enjoy the smoother textured sides as I find them soothing.

One time, a therapist and I colored together in a therapy session as we talked.

I got quite into colouring last year and told my T about it. She casually suggested I might want to bring it to sessions. I think she thought it would be a way for me to ground/reduce anxiety. I don’t know why, but I hated the idea. Wondering at this point whether I would quite like it now. I think I’d prefer it if we both did it together, in a way....I think that would feel less silly. But anyway...I already didn’t take her up on the idea, so it’s a bit late now. Can’t imagine me just rocking up with a colouring book and some felt tips now!

She has also suggested I get my phone out and play a game on it before. Again, that was to use it as a grounding tool.

Grounding, soothing, distraction...I guess they are all part of the same idea.

I like fidgeting. I wear jewelry designed especially for fidgeting and it's been a huge help for me. I also have like my own fidget cube, etc. In fact, I fidget so much that my therapist gets concerned when I am still because that's usually a bad sign! But having a way to channel that nervous energy is really helpful.

I play guitar as well, and so does my husband. But I don’t play when the tv is on. If he does, I go...
They should arrive tomorrow. I was expecting them yesterday but they were back ordered. I will probably play with them 5 minutes and forget them but I needed a present. : )

Curious. I don't take anything. Rock up as TOTALLY HIGH FUNCTIONING thank you very much lol. But I massage the scar on my hand when I'm trying to stay present. Sip water. Tea. Sometimes I fiddle with the cloth on the coffee table - it's got intricate beads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back