• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do you get convulsion-like shaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsy1

MyPTSD Pro
So I went to see some old friends Friday night. We had a good time. But boy did I pay for it.

Once during our conversation we came across some topic which my body told me I didn't want to talk about. I don't remember the topic, just my body reaction.

I shook violently and uncontrollably for 5 minutes that seemed like an eternity. It literally hurt. It always does when I get the shakes. It felt like I'd imagine a convulsion feels like. It felt like death.

Later that night, when I went to bed, the shaking came upon me again. Oh my goodness it hurt. It was as if my body was saying, ok, you put me through all that socializing, now I'm going to put you through it.

I lay in bed violently shaking and breathing like I just ran a marathon. 20 minutes. Maybe 30. Every minute felt like forever.

I hate these shakes!

Anybody else get them?

Well i had the shakes but they were rare, right now, the moment i'm writing here, i'm shaking as it is cold, but im lying in my bed even with a sweater on. It feels like im poisoned or something. I think its the stress from outside, something which triggers your ptsd. Looking forward to other answers, need help too, and yea it hurts, it seems like your whole body is tense, even my fingers are shaking. One time I even felt like i'm dying and went to the hospital for a checkup, my vision was getting f* up, it felt like i saw the light, even rib muscles get tight. I think its the body drifting to a panic attack. Sorry the edit time passed by

Last edited by a moderator:
Convulsions? No.

But everything from mild tremors that look like DTs or shivering violently from the cold depending on how localized it is... to feeling like my muscles are ripping from my bones, curled up into a ball as my entire body shakes almost uncontrolleably? (Almost becuase whilst I can’t stop the shaking, I can direct most of my movement... meaning I’m not fishing out on the floor, banging my head/arms/legs on any/every surface/person). For sure. That last one, in particular, is an old friend as it’s a normal response to a massive adrenaline surge dissipating / is just what happens as “the reaction sets in”. Slither to the floor, start shaking & feeling sick/dizzy/lightheaded, whee. Shrug. Just the cost of doing business. Weird as f*ck though, when it happens “randomly” instead “okay, now that that’s over, the reaction should be setting in, any time now”. Most people I know also cry when this happens, some throw up a lot. It’s just one way that adrenaline makes it’s exit. I PREFER sliding bonelessly into black black sleep... but c’est la vie.

A quirky one I occasionally get is when just my abdominal muscles start spasming in a rolling order. The first time it happened I went to the ER because it had been lastin for hours and was just freaking weird.
At first the doctors thought I was doing it consciously / trying to score drugs off them, but the fact that I was entirely calm just weirded out led them to hitting me with a sedative... and my abdominal muscles kept doing it. Belly dancer roll, clench, shake. Belly dancer roll, clench, shake. At THAT point my boyfriend said they called in a neurologist, who was irritated I was asleep because he couldn’t talk to me & wanted to know if I’d been so out of control I had to be knocked out. No? TOTALLY calm? And that didn’t strike you as odd? Will you idiots start calling me BEFORE you treat my patients in the future??? (The ER has a lot of drug seekers, but it really is head-injury-101 not to let them fall asleep, much less force them to sleep). <<< Not a head injury, or at least it was unlikely to be a residual effect of a head injury, as per the tests they ran me through ...although it’s still possible. I’ve had my bell rung more than a few times. A banana bag (to replace / replenish lost electrolytes) helped with the exhaustion and changed the nature of the spasm from roll, clench, shake to just continual rolling... and whilst a number of things they jabbed me with had no effect, eventually one just STOPPED it. Phew! (Come to find, if they hadn’t thought id been drug seeking, it’s the first thing they’d have used. But they had to wait several hours to admin it, considering the other things they’d hit me with.)
It’s just something I’ve learned to expect to happen occasionally when my anxiety is running hot.

Full body shakes with high levels of anxiety? Absolutely. Starts with tremor and then builds from there.

Part of the anxiety package with me -up there with nausea/vomiting, sweating bullets, losing my gut, desperately needing to pee constantly, abnormal breathing (usually not breathing!), and eventually dizziness/light-headedness.

Physically aching some hours later because of all that? Also me.

Master at breathing my way out of those episodes these days, but that's something I practice each day.

Convulsions, though? Nope.

I have some quetiapine by my side, helps alot, puts me down to sleep fast, but i hate the zombified feeling next day

Well i had the shakes but they were rare, right now, the moment i'm writing here, i'm shaking as it is cold, but im lying in my bed even with a sweater on. It feels like im poisoned or something.
I get that feeling a lot, like my CNS is poisoned or damaged. It may be slightly from all the meds I have taken. Some of the new SNRI meds made my daily shaking worse, to where I could barely brush my teeth. Needless to say, I didn't stay on those meds! (I like clean teeth😁)

I think its the stress from outside, something which triggers your ptsd. Looking forward to other answers, need help too, and yea it hurts, it seems like your whole body is tense, even my fingers are shaking.
Yup. This is the "convulsion-like" shaking I'm talking about. I'm glad I've not experienced it much, never as bad as the incident in discussion. Ugh. That hurt like crazy. Hurt everywhere inside and out. Have had better days since. Maybe I need more of these shakes. Gosh, I hope not!
One time I even felt like i'm dying and went to the hospital for a checkup, my vision was getting f* up, it felt like i saw the light, even rib muscles get tight. I think its the body drifting to a panic attack. Sorry the edit time passed by
Oh yeah, when first diagnosed with PTSD, I was in the ER a lot. That was just anxiety feeling like heart pain though, and some tremors in my fingers. Man, PTSD is a cruel affliction!

Convulsions? No.

But everything from mild tremors that look like DTs or shivering violently from the cold depending on how localized it is... to feeling like my muscles are ripping from my bones, curled up into a ball as my entire body shakes almost uncontrolleably? (Almost becuase whilst I can’t stop the shaking, I can direct most of my movement... meaning I’m not fishing out on the floor, banging my head/arms/legs on any/every surface/person).
Yup. This is what I mean when I say, "convulsion-like." Not quite an actual convulsion such as folks with epilepsy get, but physically similar. Oh, so painful. And scary!

I hope this doesn't become a regular thing.

For sure. That last one, in particular, is an old friend as it’s a normal response to a massive adrenaline surge dissipating / is just what happens as “the reaction sets in”. Slither to the floor, start shaking & feeling sick/dizzy/lightheaded, whee. Shrug. Just the cost of doing business.
Man, I hope it doesn't become the cost of doing business for me. But I can see how I could get to the place where other people see me do it and freak out, while I calmy say (through my shakes) "give it ten minutes, I'll be fine."
Weird as f*ck though, when it happens “randomly” instead “okay, now that that’s over, the reaction should be setting in, any time now”. Most people I know also cry when this happens, some throw up a lot. It’s just one way that adrenaline makes it’s exit.

I PREFER sliding bonelessly into black black sleep... but c’est la vie.
This sounds like it would be my favorite option as well.
A quirky one I occasionally get is when just my abdominal muscles start spasming in a rolling order. The first time it happened I went to the ER because it had been lastin for hours and was just freaking weird.
Haven't experienced this just yet. Though I do get various weird random muscle spasms.
At first the doctors thought I was doing it consciously / trying to score drugs off them, but the fact that I was entirely calm just weirded out led them to hitting me with a sedative... and my abdominal muscles kept doing it. Belly dancer roll, clench, shake. Belly dancer roll, clench, shake. At THAT point my boyfriend said they called in a neurologist, who was irritated I was asleep because he couldn’t talk to me & wanted to know if I’d been so out of control I had to be knocked out. No? TOTALLY calm? And that didn’t strike you as odd? Will you idiots start calling me BEFORE you treat my patients in the future??? (The ER has a lot of drug seekers, but it really is head-injury-101 not to let them fall asleep, much less force them to sleep). <<< Not a head injury, or at least it was unlikely to be a residual effect of a head injury, as per the tests they ran me through ...although it’s still possible. I’ve had my bell rung more than a few times. A banana bag (to replace / replenish lost electrolytes) helped with the exhaustion and changed the nature of the spasm from roll, clench, shake to just continual rolling... and whilst a number of things they jabbed me with had no effect, eventually one just STOPPED it. Phew! (Come to find, if they hadn’t thought id been drug seeking, it’s the first thing they’d have used. But they had to wait several hours to admin it, considering the other things they’d hit me with.)
It's a shame they often START with thinking we are drug seeking. I don't know about others, but I've tried so many dang drugs, most with I'll side effects, that I am drug averse now. Definitely not seeking drugs here!
It’s just something I’ve learned to expect to happen occasionally when my anxiety is running hot.

Full body shakes with high levels of anxiety? Absolutely. Starts with tremor and then builds from there.

Part of the anxiety package with me -up there with nausea/vomiting, sweating bullets, losing my gut, desperately needing to pee constantly, abnormal breathing (usually not breathing!), and eventually dizziness/light-headedness.
Oh yes, the breathing. Like a marathon runner. You'd think Iwas giving birth or something. Geez!
Physically aching some hours later because of all that? Also me.

Master at breathing my way out of those episodes these days, but that's something I practice each day.
I'm practicing diaphagmatic breathing exercises. Doesn't help me a ton. Helps more if I use muscle relaxation techniques along with.
Convulsions, though? Nope.
Yeah, not really full blown convulsions. Just uncontrollable and painful, almost debilitating shaking. Ugh!

Welcome to the club. Sometimes it’s worse than others. Most times it’s like you are going thru withdrawals. Usually shaking in my hands like I have Parkinson’s or something.

Welcome to the club. Sometimes it’s worse than others. Most times it’s like you are going thru withdrawals. Usually shaking in my hands like I have Parkinson’s or something.
Thanks for the warm welcome. You describe it quite well.

Yup. This is what I mean when I say, "convulsion-like." Not quite an actual convulsion such as folks with epilepsy get, but physically similar. Oh, so painful. And scary!

I hope this doesn't become a regular thing.
There is a thing called psychogenic movement disorder... that can mimic the entire durn spectrum of movement disorders (from tremors all the way to convulsions so common to seizures / when at that level often callled pseudo-seizures, functional seizures, or psychogenic seizures). Rather than being caused by brain or nerve damage, psychogenic movement disorders are caused by the way that person’s body responds to stress. More on that whole business here >>> Functional (Psychogenic) Movement Disorders

Abs
There is a thing called psychogenic movement disorder... that can mimic the entire durn spectrum of movement disorders (from tremors all the way to convulsions so common to seizures / when at that level often callled pseudo-seizures, functional seizures, or psychogenic seizures). Rather than being caused by brain or nerve damage, psychogenic movement disorders are caused by the way that person’s body responds to stress. More on that whole business here >>> Functional (Psychogenic) Movement Di
Absolutely fascinating. Thanks for sharing. I will be looking into this!

What I used to get was what I simply called "the shakes" ... and sometimes I would "shudder." with fear and high anxiety. These came out of nowhere most of the time, and sometimes I would lose blocks of time....I would just try to ride them out until they stopped. Panic disorder, I suppose. However eventually, the intensity and frequency began to lessen and after a time, they stopped occurring altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back