• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do you prepare before your therapy session?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a routine: I try to keep therapy the same day every week at the same time and I structure the day around it before and after.
The evening before I take a moment to reflect on what happened to me the last week and what I want to discuss and even write it down.
If I do trauma treatment, I try to go to bed early and plan some physical activities or hobbies after the session to distract myself and go back to the present.
I also have always the same drink before and during the session bc it gives me comfort.

I usually bring a piece of paper to therapy where I’ve outlined thoughts, questions and concerns. It’s nice to refer to my notes, especially because my mind goes blank so easily.

But lately I wonder if I’m controlling the session too much. I’m times I am anticipating what my next words are rather than listening to any input my therapist my have. I’m wondering if I’d have a more successful session if I just eat what’s on my mind in the moment.
What do you all do?
I prepare. I review the last session. Look for issue I have further questions about or a question about what my T said that needs exploring or something I reacted to. May see a relationship to another behavior upon reflection.
If that's all clear, I look at what's been going on since last session. Usually some item will stick out that has been particularly bothersome. Could be something I read, here for example, that hit home, something that happened at work, a feeling that's bugging me, a question.
If I don't prepare, a lot goes unaccomplished. Time is wasted. I can talk about the weather, news or nothing of import the whole session!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back