• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do Your Hands Get Cold When Dissociating?

Do Your Hands Get Cold When You Dissociate?

• Yes

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 16 34.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that one of the signs I'm beginning to dissociate is when my hands get cold, and often very pale. I have symptoms of what would be called 'Renaud's Phenomenon' & after reading about it, found this statement in Wikipedia very interesting for the parallels to PTSD in both the incidence rate and the onset.

Honestly, my entire body gets cold. I feel like I am freezing. My therapist says it's related to flashback and shock from the abuse. I was tested for Rayneuds when I found out I had Lupus and tested negative.
Steph

Thankfully, this doesn't happen to me much anymore.

Now, I get the sweats. ....and I take action to avert dissociation, before it gets to the freezing phase. Not that I always win the battle but, it is a LOT better.

Not funny really but I was going to say funnerly enough my (FMS) a result of the abuse I suffered. I hurt all over and some days can't move at all. I also can't control my body temp I can go from hot to cold in seconds, sometime it feels like I have a fever as I have both my cover on and my fan. And lately I've noticed a lot of people I love and trust have touched me and said your freezing but I feel ok, yet I'm sweating it's awful.

My new Psychiatrist diagnosed me with renauds and said it occurs with many PTSD patients. We have spe...

I have come to an end of my rope till i read this. I suffer from PTSD. Now looking back my hands ESPECIALLY feet were never ICE cold and blue. It make sense. On my BAD BAD days i literally take a HOT bath and beat my legs to get blood flow and sleep it off. This is an everyday struggle for me.. Thanks for sharing..

@Tee S A common side effect of anxiety is cold extremities & pale skin... because the fight/flight response pulls blood to your core. It’s a super adaptive response as it keeps you from bleeding as much when cut, & keeps your blood closest to your vital organs & ready to be super oxygenated to surge to your large muscle groups for running or defense/attack.

That’s a very different thing than either disassociation or reynauds.

Also, In no way limited to or specific PTSD, as not only does virtually everyone have the fight/flight response & functioning sympathetic nervous system, but anxiety is a key component of several disorders, andit’s also mimicked by a number of things, like virtually any stimulant (from coffee to cocaine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back