• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Does anyone else wake up with a really uneasy / unsettled feeling but not remember dreams? What helps you shake it off?

lil_fighter

Confident
Could be a trigger from watching a Netflix documentary, not realising it was so triggering. Could be a conversation or memory or even a person that reminds me but I must say being triggered so much has not happened in a good few months, maybe even a year which feels massive. I woke up this morning with a really nasty horrible feeling. Couldn't remember any dreams but thinking about it, it was clearly a Netflix doc I had caught a clip of that was way too triggering. Even though I was able to quickly watch something else and continue with my evening and think about other things, it clearly must have stayed with me. I woke up in a sweat, feeling like something bad was going to happen. Haven't had that feeling in what feels like a long time.

There used to be times when I would wake up and not be able to pin point any specific trigger but have this really nasty, icky, unsettled feeling. It's almost eerie.

Does anyone else feel this and what do you find helps you to shake off the feeling as you go through your day?

When I have a vivid dream with speckles of my trauma, it takes at least 2 days. It’s normal and it’s okay. During the time it takes for you to get over it; do the things that make you comfortable.

i started keeping a dream journal during the too many years that i suffered sleep deprivation levels of nightmares. the agitated wake-up from dreams i could not remember was fairly common during those years. i recorded the feelings i woke with and gently attempted to follow their lead to the source of my agitation. emphasis on "gently attempted." the attempts were hardly ever as clear as a published page. i mostly learned to trust that the healing mysteries were at work on levels i will never fully understand.

Hi :)
There are 2 similar posts about waking, and I have recently learned that when we wake up, we are very fragile and susceptible.
Our chemical balance is switching from melatonin to serotonin. We are creatures of habit and addiction whether we know it or not. Research is showing that the chemicals of "uneasiness" we experience in the mornings are a regression into an addictive state. We are addicted to those chemicals and states of mind, whether driven by what happened in our sleep or not. (I find the physiology useful to combat some of this stuff.)
The absolute best way to get your nervous system to reregulate and start to learn to move away from that addictive behavior is the physiological sigh. It's a double in breath with a longer out breath. You want to take a first breath all the way in, and then basically surprise yourself at the top with another inhale to inflate all your alveoli, and then let the breath out more slowly than your breath in. This should all be through the nose if possible. You can also hold for a few seconds on either side of in breath or out breath. Your heart rate speeds up when you breath in, so that is why to keep the exhale longer and add in a few seconds of breath holding if you're comfortable with it.
Even one breath will help, but 5 minutes first thing in the morning can set you up for a more centered and regulated day :) It's not hard and you'll see a difference immediately.
Please try it out!

Could be a trigger from watching a Netflix documentary, not realising it was so triggering. Could be a conversation or memory or even a person that reminds me but I must say being triggered so much has not happened in a good few months, maybe even a year which feels massive. I woke up this morning with a really nasty horrible feeling. Couldn't remember any dreams but thinking about it, it was clearly a Netflix doc I had caught a clip of that was way too triggering. Even though I was able to quickly watch something else and continue with my evening and think about other things, it clearly must have stayed with me. I woke up in a sweat, feeling like something bad was going to happen. Haven't had that feeling in what feels like a long time.

There used to be times when I would wake up and not be able to pin point any specific trigger but have this really nasty, icky, unsettled feeling. It's almost eerie.

Does anyone else feel this and what do you find helps you to shake off the feeling as you go through your day?
I’m on a fantastic medication called Prosozin. It’s prescribed to me for nightmares/night terrors and it’s changed my life.

Sometimes I have that problem. I recently read an article that said movement is the reason we don’t remember our dreams. Maybe work on waking up and getting straight up? See if the movement keeps the dreams from your consciousness?

Back