• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Does DSM diagnosis help with your symptoms?

Does DSM diagnosis help you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Humiliation: cannot cause PTSD
Fights: can cause PTSD
Car accidents: can cause PTSD
Normal parental discipline: depends on what you mean by this, but normal reasonable discipline cannot cause PTSD
Verbal abuse: can cause PTSD, if threatened with death, injury, or sexual violence
Psychological warfare: unsure what this means
Sexual mistreatment: doesn't necessarily cause PTSD, depending on what you mean by this
Sexual abuse: can cause PTSD
Yeah but its not as cut and dry as that, a lot of times one violent just serves a learning experience to avoid certain situations

@NotWeakNotStupid this topic (what qualifies) comes up regularly on here and is a point of contention sometimes. I tend to be curious about these conversations because I thought I was tricking people into thinking I had it, even when I read my T’s written diagnosis with the list of criteria. I also noticed that even people who seemed to *clearly* meet the criteria *also* thought they were tricking people—so it’s kind of a funny topic for some of us.

Because this topic interests me I’m curious what you meant by
one violent just serves a learning experience to avoid certain situations
And also curious how you came up with your list of what qualifies? Sometimes PTSD is tossed around in popular culture similar to OCD like, “I have PTSD from my breakup,” or, “I feel so OCD about my skin care.”

@NotWeakNotStupid this topic (what qualifies) comes up regularly on here and is a point of contention sometimes. I tend to be curious about these conversations because I thought I was tricking people into thinking I had it, even when I read my T’s written diagnosis with the list of criteria. I also noticed that even people who seemed to *clearly* meet the criteria *also* thought they were tricking people—so it’s kind of a funny topic for some of us.

Because this topic interests me I’m curious what you meant by

And also curious how you came up with your list of what qualifies? Sometimes PTSD is tossed around in popular culture similar to OCD like, “I have PTSD from my breakup,” or, “I feel so OCD about my skin care.”
It's only a disorder if you're scared for no reason by random things, or you have flashbacks, or for other reasons. But no, fear and anxiety don't necessarily = ptsd

It's only a disorder if you're scared for no reason by random things, or you have flashbacks, or for other reasons.
Except a person can have flashbacks and be afraid of random things and not have PTSD at all. Phobias and anxiety for example are not PTSD but can cause those symptoms plus panic attacks, nightmares, etc.
but its not as cut and dry as that
Why not? I think the point of a diagnosis is that it needs to be cut and dry otherwise it’s a pointless label.

Except a person can have flashbacks and be afraid of random things and not have PTSD at all. Phobias and anxiety for example are not PTSD but can cause those symptoms plus panic attacks, nightmares, etc.

Why not? I think the point of a diagnosis is that it needs to be cut and dry otherwise it’s a pointless label.
I probably just shouldn't be posting here then.

@NotWeakNotStupid If for you it’s important to have the label be open-ended then I respect that as your perspective. Your journey is your journey. Posting opens up discussion and sometimes we disagree—no biggy. Hang around and you’ll see that there are people who agree with both sides. I’m just one person, and by the way you can ignore anyone who you think is being rude.

Last edited:
Yeah but its not as cut and dry as that, a lot of times one violent just serves a learning experience to avoid certain situations
If what you mean by that is that not every "traumatic" experience will cause PTSD, you are quite right.

If you mean that anything can cause PTSD, you are quite wrong. There is a list of very specific criteria that lead to PTSD. Otherwise what's the point of getting a diagnosis at all?

Last edited:
If what you mean by that is that not every "traumatic" experience will cause PTSD, you are quite right.

If you mean that anything can cause PTSD, you are quite wrong. There is a list of very specific criteria that lead to PTSD. Otherwise what's the point of getting a diagnosis at all?
It's individual specific what causes, and everyone experiences some type of trauma if they live long enough, that's all I'm trying to say. I think for that reason, having a DSM is based on a couple false assumptions:

-that a whole lot can be generalized, I tend to see each person as unique and their reasons for being disturbed somewhat unique as well

-that psychologists really know what they're doing...that's part of my hesitation when joining these forums, I got kicked off of a mental health forum just for questioning standard ethical procedures lol

It's individual specific what causes, and everyone experiences some type of trauma if they live long enough, that's all I'm trying to say. I think for that reason, having a DSM is based on a couple false assumptions:

-that a whole lot can be generalized, I tend to see each person as unique and their reasons for being disturbed somewhat unique as well

-that psychologists really know what they're doing...that's part of my hesitation when joining these forums, I got kicked off of a mental health forum just for questioning standard ethical procedures lol
The DSM has changed over time but they use data to create and change these diagnoses.

Do you feel you have PTSD and meet all the criteria except your trauma was caused by something outside the definition? I’m just wondering, you don’t have to answer.

It is certainly generalized you do make a point there.

I’m a teacher, I could conclude that because my students scored better than anyone in my school that I am a better teacher, based on data I could be right. However if you drill into the data you will find that these same students have scored quite high no matter who was teaching them.

Sometimes the psychiatric community draws conclusions such as yours, that anyone can have PTSD because anyone can have trauma, but when they drill into the data they find that there are a lot of factors that can cause PTSD often those who meet all the criteria except what caused they’re symptoms possibly have one of those factors and weren’t aware, like abuse as a child, which isn’t always remembered. You may have all the symptoms except your event and be the exception to the rule, there are always outliers.

The DSM has changed over time but they use data to create and change these diagnoses.

Do you feel you have PTSD and meet all the criteria except your trauma was caused by something outside the definition? I’m just wondering, you don’t have to answer.

It is certainly generalized you do make a point there.

I’m a teacher, I could conclude that because my students scored better than anyone in my school that I am a better teacher, based on data I could be right. However if you drill into the data you will find that these same students have scored quite high no matter who was teaching them.

Sometimes the psychiatric community draws conclusions such as yours, that anyone can have PTSD because anyone can have trauma, but when they drill into the data they find that there are a lot of factors that can cause PTSD often those who meet all the criteria except what caused they’re symptoms possibly have one of those factors and weren’t aware, like abuse as a child, which isn’t always remembered. You may have all the symptoms except your event and be the exception to the rule, there are always outliers.
I'm not sure if I have ptsd, probably not in the standard sense, but I have experienced traumas, events that scared me and effected my mind for a long time in a negative way. My life hasn't been particularly traumatic compared to other people's though. I would use more details but I haven't seen a whole lot of specifics from people who use the forum about themselves so I don’t really feel comfortable.

I've noticed that my symptoms don't appear if I live a healthy lifestyle, but the problem is when something in my mind changes and then I'm just filled with the worst moments of my life and, I can't sleep without taking drugs, overwhelming anxiety and it takes several weeks before I can feel relaxed again. I was in one of those states when I signed up for here but I've been good for the past 3 weeks.

I'm not sure if I have ptsd, probably not in the standard sense, but I have experienced traumas, events that scared me and effected my mind for a long time in a negative way. My life hasn't been particularly traumatic compared to other people's though. I would use more details but I haven't seen a whole lot of specifics from people who use the forum about themselves so I don’t really feel comfortable.

I've noticed that my symptoms don't appear if I live a healthy lifestyle, but the problem is when something in my mind changes and then I'm just filled with the worst moments of my life and, I can't sleep without taking drugs, overwhelming anxiety and it takes several weeks before I can feel relaxed again. I was in one of those states when I signed up for here but I've been good for the past 3 weeks.
Have you been diagnosed with something else? have you seen anyone about the symptoms? Sounds like maybe you should.

I’m glad you’re in a better place.

My psychological evaluation brought me a ton of insight and I was able to learn and research a lot and better understand what's going on. Did it "take away" or "lessen symptoms" absolutely not, but it made me be more aware. I was able to work on a lot of stuff on my own without diagnosis, but I got to a point where I wasn't sure whether I was dealing with a personality disorder, mood disorder, or autism, and diagnosis cleared things up. I was in such bad therapy because I didn't know I need to be treated for PTSD and my therapists would assume it wasn't PTSD or simply didn't want to "label" me. So I sought diagnosis on my own. I'm hoping when the time comes to look for therapy again I'll have better success because I'll be going with a better idea of what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, as consumers we can't depend on professionals to know what we need or point us in the right direction because they get paid for treating with you so they'll treat someone that isn't a good fit for their credentials and continue doing so because they are making money. It's a difficult process but I'm glad I got evaluated it made everything much clearer and I have better direction for what's next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back