EMDR Intensive

Catlovers141

Confident
I am signed up for an EMDR intensive for my early childhood trauma and am having a lot of anxiety about it. From what I understand, treatment will be approximately 30 hours spread throughout five days (so six hours per day), and some of it will be EMDR, some might be trauma-informed yoga, etc. I have never done anything this intense in the past, but when I have done regular weekly therapy in the past that focused on trauma, it has always felt really overwhelming and has triggered flashbacks both in session and at home, so I'm worried about managing myself during that week.

I'm trying to prepare as well as I can. I'm going to meal prep before my first day so I don't have to cook, and clean my home so I don't have to do those chores that week either. But I'm also recognizing that there is only so much I can do. It's likely to be a hard experience no matter what. It feels like I'm prepping to have surgery or something, except this doesn't feel like something that is easily talked about with other people (so I feel lonely too).

Has anyone done a treatment like this before? Any words of advice?

From what I understand, treatment will be approximately 30 hours spread throughout five days (so six hours per day), and some of it will be EMDR, some might be trauma-informed yoga, etc.
I’ve not heard of EMDR being done as an ‘intensive’. Strong stuff! Bring on a whole lotta self care, and perhaps consider a safety plan ahead of time that you can have with your T on board.

Sounds daunting put also potentially amazing.

If it's a good/ professional place, then I assume that they're aware that it's daunting/ overwhelming for ALL their patients.

I mean, I don't think anyone signs up for an EMDR intensive, unless they're "desperate" to process some major trauma - and then, by definition, it'll be an intense and daunting experience.

Do you know the therapists/ staff that will be treating you there?

If they're really professional, then they'll have good procedures in place, to help people deal with the overwhelmingness of it.

I guess if it's not a very professional place... if it's just someone who's set up a "treatment" that's meant well, but carried out poorly, then it could turn into a sh*tshow.

Maybe have a Plan B in place, in case you find out that they're not as professional as you'd hoped? Have an exit plan in place, if they don't help you stay in a window of tolerance, if they don't help you ground and regulate in moments of overwhelm. Have someone (maybe your regular therapist) that you can call if things are going pear shaped? Have someone who can come and pick you up if you decide that it's too much and you need to leave?

I mean, I don't think anyone signs up for an EMDR intensive, unless they're "desperate" to process some major trauma - and then, by definition, it'll be an intense and daunting experience.
I'm definitely desperate, lol. Nothing has really worked for me. I don't know the therapist personally, but my therapist referred me to her, and I liked her from the 20 minute consult that we did. I'm just scared of the whole process. It's a lot. So I really hope it ends up being helpful.

I read about this on the EMDR institute website, a discussion about stand alone intensive EMDR vs MDMA+EMDR and whether it might be a good fit or good mirror or a bad idea, flat out, a few years ago. But I haven’t chased it at all to see if it’s become any kind of standard or recommended course.

The therapist you’re looking at is FULLY qualified under their “new” certifications? Or is this their own gig they’re kicking the tires on & using their clients to Guinea Pig it with?

I read about this on the EMDR institute website, a discussion about stand alone intensive EMDR vs MDMA+EMDR and whether it might be a good fit or good mirror or a bad idea, flat out, a few years ago. But I haven’t chased it at all to see if it’s become any kind of standard or recommended course.

The therapist you’re looking at is FULLY qualified under their “new” certifications? Or is this their own gig they’re kicking the tires on & using their clients to Guinea Pig it with?
Yes, they are fully qualified. That part is not something I am worried about, but a good thing to check!

Know someone who is using this thing - EMDR + hypnosis - all I know, from what I've observed it is messing them up even more - sorry - not an expert at all but Friday I agree with you - is this the therapists opportune moment , getting a kick out of it and also enjoying the big bucks at $200 -$300 per hour session. I think this person I know is being used as a Guinea Pig and putting their life at risk. It can send a person to do drastic things to themselves.

Hypnosis is contraindicated with trauma. Only Hollywood does it. No hypnotherapists with any degree of ethics come within 100mi of it. And when they run into it on accident? Refer away.
Thank you for your response @Friday.Yes, only Hollywood does it. I feel you have an in depth knowledge of this - and I am trying to understand the basics of Hypnotherapy in conjunction with CPTSD and PTSD . He does weekly hypnotherapy and EMDR.
Both times he cut me off and went NO contact were the day after hypnotherapy and EMDR with his therapist.
I saw him after an appointment once - he went into a mini sleep trance right before my eyes. And my mind races that the Therapist allows him to drive his car after a session.Terrifying every time the thought crosses my mind I get anxious.
I have been watching a loved one implode and disintegrate over a few months. As a supporter it is just so terribly heartbreaking - and who am I to come up against and comment to him about qualified "expert" advice of his therapist. Right?

I do fear it is doing him much harm than good. I fear for his life.
But, then thats my silly opinion right? Why would he give my concerns any consideration.
I have been so scared as a supporter of "losing him" in more than one sense- You know what I mean .

Any insight and support would help Friday. I admire your view on this - because most folk are too chicken to speak up.

Know someone who is using this thing - EMDR + hypnosis - all I know, from what I've observed it is messing them up even more - sorry - not an expert at all but Friday I agree with you - is this the therapists opportune moment , getting a kick out of it and also enjoying the big bucks at $200 -$300 per hour session. I think this person I know is being used as a Guinea Pig and putting their life at risk. It can send a person to do drastic things to themselves.
I'm sorry that you know someone who has had such a bad experience. Hypnosis will not be part of my treatment so I can't speak to that. Though I do know that it's really rare for therapists to use it now. I work in the mental health field and I don't know of anyone who does this form of treatment.

EMDR is supported by research though. Of course that doesn't mean it works for everyone, but it can be something that is worth a try for someone who has access to it.

I'm sorry that you know someone who has had such a bad experience. Hypnosis will not be part of my treatment so I can't speak to that. Though I do know that it's really rare for therapists to use it now. I work in the mental health field and I don't know of anyone who does this form of treatment.

EMDR is supported by research though. Of course that doesn't mean it works for everyone, but it can be something that is worth a try for someone who has access to it.
Thank you - your response is appreciated -yes I too thought is was very rare.
I have very serious concerns for the incredible and sweet person, who is a sufferer and such a fighter - a hero-
( looking desperately to heal himself )turned to hypnotherapy and EMDR in conjunction with medication - I feel my message thread expresses my deep and genuine worries for this person. Out of respect their name and details will always remain confidential. CPSTD,PTSD,Trauma,Depression.

Back