• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Family Thinks Symptoms are "Normal"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, another thought. Try asking you mom weird things, like "what was the worst thing I did as a child?" Since she's only remembering the good things for you. Or ask about what family vacations you went on. Or "Did I have many friends in high-shool?" "Did I ever mention a favorite teacher"? Stuff like that. I've been able to pick tiny bits of my childhood from MY mom like that.

Of course - then I have to lie about WHY I want to know - because if I say I can't remember any of it that always makes my mom very very mad. So, for instance, I'll say I want to know because I was just thinking about a teacher I knew in high school the other day, but I couldn't remember her name.

do any of you guys find that Your family thinks your symptoms--whatever they may be--are just normal, that you are not really, shall I say "ill" for lack of a better word.

Yep... All you can do is throw the line out. My mom is apparently the same age as you. I am 33 and she was born in 1947. I recall as she was born 47 and I 74. She is making a half effort to be nice since my sis passed my number off after I cut her out. According to her all women are raped everyone deals with molestation, everyone has panic attacks and nightmares... All this crap is "normal" and I over react.

Wow veiled.....your Mom is a piece of work, she obviously lives in that place of denial.

My mother actually gave me a complement on getting a new job, said " wow, you must have beat out alot of people for that position, you should be proud". I was stunned and wondered where those words were my entire life thus far....crazy feeling maybe she is changing and maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks, she turned 60 this year and i am the same age as you veiled, 33 except I will be 34 in Nov.

Yep.i overreact too! Everyone goes through hard things.get over it is what I have heard. i am positive that is why i am so bad today. no support, none. i guess when GOD handed out mothers he must have thought I could handle her but it sure has been tough. LOL i don't think she has ever given me a compliment face to face. maybe indirectly but not person to person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back