• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How do I find a Therapist

Status
Not open for further replies.

David1959

Confident
I have been trying to hook up with a new T for months. I have reached out and contacted 5 separate ones, no appointments available. In the meantime I am beginning to slip into severe depression, again after 4 years and seems impossible to find help :-(

GoodTherapy is also a decent resource for finding therapists in your area.

If you have a relationship with your primary care doc, you can ask them for a referral - sometimes there are open spaces for people with referrals, but not for people trying to get in on their own...this is more true for mental health organizations, where there are multiple therapists - less true for those in private practice.

But always worth a shot.

What country are you in?
In UK, there are two good websites:
Psychology today (as @somerandomguy has said), but the UK version.
Or bacp.co.uk (British association of counselling and psychotherapy).

You can search via location (although it seems most are doing it via video or phone at the moment) or various other searches.
It's how I found mine.

What country are you in?
In UK, there are two good websites:
Psychology today (as @somerandomguy has said), but the UK version.
Or bacp.co.uk (British association of counselling and psychotherapy).

You can search via location (although it seems most are doing it via video or phone at the moment) or various other searches.
It's how I found mine.

Unfortunately I live in the US where mental health is the lowest priority, which is crazy because we have so many disturbed people

Check out Psychology Today's local lists. You could also consider an online service like BetterHelp.

I did go the their site and sent emails to 8 different Therapists, let's see what happens

If you are insured, try searching your in-network providers. I learned when I searched mine, I had to search for psychologists, counselors, and social workers to get all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back