How do your memory issues play out?

I think that you should first of all consult your primary care doctor for an evaluation. You are asking all the right questions. Now you need answers. Then a referral to appropriate tertiary care for eval. Then there will be no guessing. You need answers. Best to you. I know it is scarey but once you get a definitive health eval you can start on the road to recovery or appropriate medical care.
I would but the last doc I consulted said this is a menopause thing and wouldn't entertain the idea of anything else ... maybe I should ask again 🤔

I would but the last doc I consulted said this is a menopause thing and wouldn't entertain the idea of anything else ... maybe I should ask again 🤔
Go to another doctor for a second opinion..sounds to me a little more than a menopause situation. I am not a doctor but I would go to one more for peace of mind. Then if it is menopause why were you not given something to help alleviate the symptoms. Just advocate for yourself. Thank you for thinking along these lines. Not all professionals are equal. Go out on one of the websites where they rate doctors in your area. Maybe a woman OBGYN. Just my thought. Write down all the incidents you can think of on a piece of paper and read it off to the person. We forget so many times until we are out of the office. I will be in your corner thinking of you.

Go to another doctor for a second opinion..sounds to me a little more than a menopause situation. I am not a doctor but I would go to one more for peace of mind. Then if it is menopause why were you not given something to help alleviate the symptoms. Just advocate for yourself. Thank you for thinking along these lines. Not all professionals are equal. Go out on one of the websites where they rate doctors in your area. Maybe a woman OBGYN. Just my thought. Write down all the incidents you can think of on a piece of paper and read it off to the person. We forget so many times until we are out of the office. I will be in your corner thinking of you.
Thank you for your concern... that's encouraged me to write stuff down and perhaps go again for another opinion

I too have this issue! I remember very small bits and pieces of my childhood—this seemed to only happen after my trauma event. Sometimes I find myself going into a room 6 feet away for something and forget why. Check the house lock twice then get down on the highway and ask myself “did I lock the door”?

I’ve read about memory loss relating to traumatic experiences and it worries me as I’m 37 and don’t want it to expand further as I grow older, especially missing things with my children or rather missing the memory of any event or whatever it may be.

I’m hoping to find some exercises that may help with these type of needs and hopefully gain back some ability to remember the small silly stuff even, like did I lock the door.

🫶

When I say memory I'm talking about my ability to remember everyday things. Every day, I have no idea where I've parked the car. Even though I parked it either earlier in the day or within 24 hours. I know this happens to alot of people but for me it's EVERYDAY. Even when it's in front of the house. Sometimes when I locate it I can't even remember that I'd parked it at that location. My work is becoming increasingly difficult to manage.

But my question to myself is: could all the memory and cognitive issues be from trauma? Could they be down to a DDNOS diagnosis? Could it be purely peri-menopause? Is it early dementia or something similar? And what the hell can I do to improve it - I'm scared.

My question to others: does anyone relate? What is your experience of and understanding of your own memory issues?

Thanks 😊
I can relate to a lot of this but also can't tell if its trauma or something else. My memory has always been trash, but it never seemed to get better, heck maybe even worse, as I aged. I think, in my case personally, its a bit of a mix of trauma and having ADHD and dyspraxia, but its hard to tell how much is trauma and how much is ADHD since I experienced many of my traumas at a young age. Lot's of my childhood is just gone from my mind, but I also have short term issues that I more so attribute to lack of sleep mixed with ADHD and such. Personally, I think it's worth speaking to a doctor to if you fear a medical issue. Since trauma is shown to put you at higher risk of not only mental health issues, but in some cases, physical ones, it's worth making sure. Considering you're going through the menopause it is most likely that. My mum had been experiencing simular symptoms (plus, extremely worsened mental health, do keep a look out for symptoms worsening since that can happen) due to menopause, and while it really messed her up, after she spoke to her doctor about it she was able to be recommended treatment options and ways to manage it. and she has mostly resolved her forgetfulness (outside of her usual ADHD ridden brain) by starting HRT, as well as playing my old nintendo brain training games. I think you should be able to find simular games that improve recall :) I hope you find a solution soon.

Just wanted to update (and off load). I've finally gone to my doctor about my memory/ cognitive problems. I can't remember (😢) exactly what they said but I know I'll be doing a memory test and they will also send the reports to a neurologist to ask whether I need to be seen from a neurology point of view. They told me I'd had a bloods test in March - which I couldn't remember at all. I'm just in tears after the doctor appointment because I'm really scared. Not that I necessarily have anything additional to trauma brain going on. But whatever the cause I feel like my life is slipping away from me. Hopefully the testing will provide more concrete answers.

Thanks for the encouragement to go because I don't think I would have otherwise.

I had the brain scan about 6 weeks ago. Results just back and all came back normal. Which is good i guess. But points to trauma being the main cause of my cognitive problems. Not sure where to go from here. The health system won't recognise there being anything wrong with a clear scan. Another professional just told me I have amnesia as part of me ddnos diagnosis. He said amnesia is different to memory problems but I don't understand the difference so much.

How did that make you feel?
(It's a joke......)
PTSD Amnesia is common with people who have trauma. It fogs out memories and you have no conscious memories of trauma and life events. Most of my childhood and a lot of memories around trauma are gone. You would think that after 2 months in the hospital I would remember going home - nope. Going back to school and seeing friends - no. Teens after the accident? Bits and pieces.

Cognitive function is also impaired. It's called executive dysfunction. It's the central problem in many disorders like ADHD, Autism, and like disorders. Because PTSD essentially changes the way your brain functions, you struggle with mood, intrusive thoughts, time distortions, and remembering where your mobile phone and keys are.

So the two are tied together....

(It's a joke......)
I know! My response was too!!
PTSD Amnesia is common with people who have trauma. It fogs out memories and you have no conscious memories of trauma and life events. Most of my childhood and a lot of memories around trauma are gone. You would think that after 2 months in the hospital I would remember going home - nope. Going back to school and seeing friends - no. Teens after the accident? Bits and pieces.
Makes sense...
Cognitive function is also impaired. It's called executive dysfunction. It's the central problem in many disorders like ADHD, Autism, and like disorders. Because PTSD essentially changes the way your brain functions, you struggle with mood, intrusive thoughts, time distortions, and remembering where your mobile phone and keys are.

So the two are tied together....
Thanks this is interesting...I know a bit about executive function disorder... but not in relation to trauma... more brain injury e.g stroke etc... do you have any written into on it you can point me to by any chance?

Thanks this is interesting...I know a bit about executive function disorder... but not in relation to trauma... more brain injury e.g stroke etc... do you have any written into on it you can point me to by any chance?
Not really. Search the internet for PTSD and Executive Dysfunction and you should be able to find some good sources to read up on it from.

Back