• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I Got A Job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:claps: Yeah...Evie!!!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!!! I am soooooo happy that your hard work is paying off!!:cool: Make sure though that you take care of yourself....Like you've heard many times:doh: .....Eat at least 2 nutritious meals per day.....sleep for at least 6 hours per night....exercise as much as you can handle....GIVE PEACE A CHANCE

Congrates, try not to work to hard, I spent 5 years working in the comic book industry before the stress got to be too much for me, that being because I was the writer, penciler, inker, colourist and everything else in the middle. The problem with working on Manga, japanese comics, that most of the work is done by one person. Over the years I've seen many people come appart from the stress so remember to take alot of breaks, when you can.

Good luck!

Kat

Thanks all for the congratulations, I am very excited about my promotion! I didn't realize my uncle had posted in here about my promotion until someone else told me about it. God he's sneaky haha.

Hey Kat, welcome to the forum and thanks for your post, it's really nice to meet someone else who's been in the industry. Wow were you busy, I was just the inker until my promotion, now I am the artist and the inker. I understand what you mean about stress, I have felt a lot of pressure since I started my job and I am trying not to let it get to me. Not sure how well I've been succeeding, but I am trying to take breaks. I so love manga, but I am aware of the pressure of doing it, yes. I'm trying to have confidence that I will be able to handle it, but who knows. Eventually I want to self-publish. I think my biggest issue at this point is that my boss wants me to start going to fan conventions, and I have anxiety with crowds and a bit with travelling too. So that will be a major issue for me. Anyways though thanks for your words of advice, I will definitely take them to heart as I am only starting out.

Hey Kat, welcome to the forum and thanks for your post, it's really nice to meet someone else who's been in the industry. Wow were you busy, I was just the inker until my promotion, now I am the artist and the inker. I understand what you mean about stress, I have felt a lot of pressure since I started my job and I am trying not to let it get to me. Not sure how well I've been succeeding, but I am trying to take breaks. I so love manga, but I am aware of the pressure of doing it, yes. I'm trying to have confidence that I will be able to handle it, but who knows. Eventually I want to self-publish. I think my biggest issue at this point is that my boss wants me to start going to fan conventions, and I have anxiety with crowds and a bit with travelling too. So that will be a major issue for me. Anyways though thanks for your words of advice, I will definitely take them to heart as I am only starting out.

Congrates on the promotion. A good way to deal with the stress of comics is to trying to find something outside of comics that you enjoy to do. Just watch yourself, I spent a day drawing until my fingers were bleeding and that was when I realized I was going way to far. Self-publishing is a harsh job, and one I travelled for a long while, my stories were too dark and series for publishers *sighs* If you wish to take that road be perpared to advertise yourself everywhere and be ready for the idiots who will try to take you down. Self-publishing is a blood bath and is what finally broke me. Look for "Cerebus's book on self-publishing" Dave Sim's gives some great ways to deal with the stress of comics as well as perpares you for the reality of self publishing.

Conventions can be fun, been a guest at them for nearly 10 years now. Just remember to not take on too many panels because the con heads will try to give you as many as possible, more so if they find out you are willing to do them. I too had problems with the crowds, but found that for the most part you get to sit behind a table that keeps the crowds away from you and if you talk to some of the convention staff you will find a few willing to work as body guards for when you need some space, most of us artists are alittle on the unusual side and con staff loves to help out. One convention I was at I had a complete breakdown because someone was insulting me about the fact that I was dressed in a tux and I'd just broken up with an abusive ex, I met two other guest that day who actually held me and helped me through the moment. There are alot of supportive people on the cons and there are many who will be there for you. It is kind of surprising really.

The travelling is something else. Depending on where you are you can stick to cons in the city, which is what I do now. I've actually been told to keep away from cons outside of the city by my doctor, I made the mistake of being signed at 6 conventions over one summer and I finally crashed so I keep to one con a year. I've ended up at cons in New York to Toronto to LA and I've had to deal with flying a plane and riding buses, but I made it.

Conventions actually helped me deal with my shy side and my problems with crowds, then again I got the con to give me a hotel room so I could hide when I needed too. I took a 3 year break from conventions to start writing novels and I tell you I miss all the people I met at the cons and how much fun I had running my own panels where I could talk about just about anything, they even gave me a panel to discuss using comics to help express yourself as a way to cope with life. It is an experiance that is worth trying at least once.

Anyways, sorry to ramble. If you need any advise about conventions and the like then feel free to talk to me. I've been through alot over these years so I know a fair bit about about the the industry. Well, I wish you all the luck.

jaa ne

Kat

Reactions: Jim
Thanks very much Kat, that was very useful information for me, all of it. You make cons sound very fun and exciting! I definitely feel a little better about them having read all that you wrote. Thanks again.

Thanks very much Kat, that was very useful information for me, all of it. You make cons sound very fun and exciting! I definitely feel a little better about them having read all that you wrote. Thanks again.

Your welcome, btw if you want to try out self publishing and don't want to face the stress of dealing with publishers, distributers and the like you can always post your stories online to get a feel for creating one and get some opinions on the story. There are alot of free places for posting comics.

Well, good luck

Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back