• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

i'm always dissociated & numb, tips on how to break out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickfaery

Learning
lately been dissociated 24/7, almost always numb. can't enjoy anything, can't feel anything positive, can't do anything, i'm just so empty & dead inside and i want it to stop. i'm trying to break out of it, but it never really works. i've tried grounding myself in a healthy way (like trying to focus on sounds, objects, textures, exc...), also tried sh, works a little better but doesn't do much either. I've tried distracting myself with something unrelated, doesn't work. it seems like i'm completely stuck in this state, and the only times i can break out of it sort of are when i'm triggered (which happens a lot too, but i'm still dissociated usually) or have something really upset me that's unrelated. i just can occasionally feel happy, like very very occasionally. been going on for over a month so far, i'm always like this.

i'm sure like a lot of people here do or had to deal with this too, so i guess do y'all have any tips that work for you to break out of dissociation & numbness?

Hi @angelxbaby, sorry that your going through this. It really sucks and I can totally relate. Are you taking any medication? Maybe it might be a good idea to talk to your docter and tell them how you feel.

like trying to focus on sounds, objects, textures
Very situational, people there or not? if people then which people? Sitting lonely in a room with no proper ventilation? ., noises or dead silence (Or the uneasy electric buzz?)Or staring at screens while also drinking my soda. In that sorrounding pure cognitive work doesn’t work for me because other senses (Not meaning all of them) remain Unaffected. All these years I’m trying to get the Body moving, or I try to do something radical like cold/ warm showers or even if it means like bathing my legs in cold water (Doesn’t work for everybody).

Just a very myopic view here, because it’s like pinpointing to a tiny place on a vast area..
At times it’s also landing right into that discomfort, and then I’ve got to pick up the phone, make a call and talk about whatever crushes my mind or anything random. or just get out to the park and watch kids and dogs play.

Self care- for me that might be yoga, dancing, put in a bath bomb or scented soap. Nature, walk, pray. Last night there was a beautiful starry sky.

Sounds silly but name and share your feelings if possible- ask for guidance, express fears, be honest, grieve. Listen to others.

Best wishes to you. 🤗

For me it helps doing something new that involves both concentration and body work. It could just be a new stretch or play with a ball. The point is to do somwthing that you cant do on autopilot and also dont make you think to much. Like doing old things can start a lot of associations but new things keeps the head blank and more present. Maybe?

give you some gratitude because at least you realize the state you are numbed in. So this is good because maybe before, you didn't notice that you were living such states.
I usually try to go back to the event that triggered me in this state and try to deconstruct like piece by piece, second by second to see what brought me till there. For me it's also giving me some compassion because I spend time thinking about what happens to me. Sometimes I ask for help, as if there would be someone in another dimension that could perfectly understand me and I explain this virtual friendly person how bad I feel and that I need help. I surrender to accept that this moment is hard because before I was acting like a robot as if nothing could reach me. So now I recognized that I'm in pain. That it's hard and painful. I surrender, asking for this help and sometimes I receive it. I try to visualize nice and soft and cosy environment that would help me to feel good. My bed is my best friend, it's a safe place where I can do this kind of exercices and visualizations. I repeat to myself that no matter what I love me, I deserve a nice life and I will get it.

lately been dissociated 24/7, almost always numb. can't enjoy anything, can't feel anything positive, can't do anything, i'm just so empty & dead inside and i want it to stop. i'm trying to break out of it, but it never really works. i've tried grounding myself in a healthy way (like trying to focus on sounds, objects, textures, exc...), also tried sh, works a little better but doesn't do much either. I've tried distracting myself with something unrelated, doesn't work. it seems like i'm completely stuck in this state, and the only times i can break out of it sort of are when i'm triggered (which happens a lot too, but i'm still dissociated usually) or have something really upset me that's unrelated. i just can occasionally feel happy, like very very occasionally. been going on for over a month so far, i'm always like this.

i'm sure like a lot of people here do or had to deal with this too, so i guess do y'all have any tips that work for you to break out of dissociation & numbness?
Have you asked alters for support your family of friends who are your protection and your survival and who you are. There is much DID art which helps exorcise the ghosts of the past open a diary for family and ask them to write and share feelings did art - Google Search

My heart goes out to you. I’m new here I can relate I can’t believe the events I’ve attended in a dissociated state. I’m there but I’m not. I’m caught in a loop right now having been triggered by my son I help out all the time but I never seem to do things exactly right, fast enough he can make me feel bad about myself. Recently had my arm grabbed because I frustrated him. I withdraw and actually can lose my balance. Does that happen to you? I go off alone but that doesn’t help. I can walk in circles holding a list of what I want to do but can’t do any of it. Free association writing in a journal and writing music on the piano can help. I was ashamed and angry at myself for not getting things done now I write , do breathing exercises, just joined a meditation group I wish I knew this years ago. I have suffered in my life work and socially from this. I am grateful for what I do have and have plans to go forward I’m not giving up although it makes me think of it. I’m at a new start and can build something meaningful one day at a time. I have great compassion for you so I’ve gained compassion for myself. 💜💗🙏🏻

Have you tried grounding exercises? I used to be dissociated all the time, and by using DBT and grounding exercises I was able to heal enough to live in the real world again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back