• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sexual Assault Is It Same Benefit If Tell Story Only To Therapist And Not Friends & Family?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting it out is important... but getting the feedback that your brain can interpret to use is the issue. A therapist can do this, and that is their aim... but it is one person. This is the power of the web, so that you get feedback from as many as possible, because you will find it is one thing someone says that will click for you. Your brain is unique and must find a specific reasoning for trauma that your brain uniquely understands... this is part of why these sites exist today, in that I found I got more out of group therapy than individual, because I got more feedback from diverse backgrounds and experience... when I went looking online, suddenly that feedback broadens again from people who have the same experience.

That is what we all need... for our brain to uniquely find that reasoning. This is part of the reason why some endup in therapy for years... because their therapist is either useless or simply not finding the diverse solutions to present their patient.

More heads solve issues faster than less... which is why IMHO its better to get things out online and let that diverse base give you their experience / feedback that may hopefully trigger that "moment" for you.

Your brain is unique and must find a specific reasoning for trauma that your brain uniquely understands...

That is what we all need... for our brain to uniquely find that reasoning. This is part of the reason why some endup in therapy for years... because their therapist is either useless or simply not finding the diverse solutions to present their patient.

It took ME five years to make sense of a part of me that was put into play 33 years ago. The sense of insecurity and fear that I deal with today, began the late afternoon that I was pinned by my abuser. It would seem simple enough that I could have gotten that, but I didn't. My counselor and trauma therapist have both become rather adamant that I get out of the past in the last couple of weeks...and I agree now that I have made sense of part of the reason that I kept going back there...to come to the understanding that my failing to cope with the stress overload that I have faced is rooted in the sense of insecurity, fear, and lack of control that I felt as I was at his mercy. I feel that same feeling EVERY time I get into a situation that I feel unable to handle.

When I went into counseling, I was facing the death of my father, a husband who had morphed into a person who I never realized he could become due to the stresses of a job that was more than most anyone could handle, and the loss of my church family who had sheltered and protected me for most of my life following the abuse at age 8. I had so many issues that it has taken years to resolve them, and when they were compounded with my undealt with abuse, I am going to credit myself with having done a well enough job to have coped, maintained a full-time job, kept the clothes and dishes washed and not acted on the impulses to curl permanently into the fetal position or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back