• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Living Out Of My Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Smile,

Hope you're okay.

I've recently separated from my wife so needed to move out of the family home. I was living out of my car last summer. It became too cramped (It affected my health - I actually got a DVT) so I traded the car in for a small second hand campervan (VW California). I couldn't stand the thought of being cooped up in rented accommodation. Plus I didn't want to give my money away to a landlord (still need to pay mortgage on the family house - wife and daughter live there).

I'm living in it now. Its a lifestyle choice. It's not so bad. I tend to camp in the forest away from civilisation - it's safer that way. I've got used to it. In fact it kinda helps with the PTSD - I prefer the isolation.

• Joined a gym to keep fit a clean.
  • Use my 4G phone for email and entertainment.
  • It's got a refrigerator and a small gas stove to do basic cooking and to make coffee and tea.
  • Diesel heater if it gets too cold.
  • Two leisure batteries for power.
  • Privacy glass and blinds on all the windows.
  • Invested in a warm sleeping bag.
  • Rear seats slides in and out - converting into a double bed.
  • The roof lifts, creating a second double bed for the summer months.
  • Have enough room when the seats are in an upright position to eat and work on a small table. I'm a writer, so it suits me.
  • As a luxury I get my clothes cleaned and ironed at dry cleaners.

The great thing is it's a small van. I can park it anywhere and it's easy to drive.

Also, it looks innocuous - like a work van. Nobody takes any notice of it, including the police.

Like a said, I traded my car in for the deposit and took a loan out to pay for the rest. The loan is a fraction of the cost of rent. Even with gym membership and laundry bills I'm saving money.

Anyway, it's a lifestyle choice. Your home becomes one long road trip.

Please don't go to a homeless shelter. There are better options.

Smile, I work for a homeless shelter and day center in the Detroit area. One of their services is to provide a mailing address for people. If nothing else, you could look into whether there is such a place in your area, rather than paying for a P.O. Box. I understand your feelings about not wanting to stay at a shelter. But please look into whether there are any services in your area that could at least provide you with a mailing address. Take care, dear. If you want to pm me where you are, I would be happy to do a search and find out if there is a place that could help you.

Yeah, please take care Smile. Wish I could be of more help. Being in the UK, I'm not sure what services are available to you.

I'm sending my love from the UK and wishing 2016 will be a better year for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back