• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Log Your Daily Exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another week of swimming every second day. I'm not doing the swims easily and I don't know why. Just off. I didn't get to the pool till late this afternoon so maybe I'm better exercising in the morning. Idk... I did 800 metres and 10 min vertical kicking session then dragged myself out. Better than nothing I guess.

Due to a steady stream of house-hold emergencies involving appliances that have just decided to blow up or die... storm water pipes that have been cracked and other miscellaneous domestic events I haven't swum for six entire days and my body is complaining and giving me a really hard time about it. So tomorrow I go back to my mums for Easter and then some extra days... so taking all of my gear and will go to the pool there. Must go! Just must!

I don’t know if any of all y’all have seen the commercial where the lazy lady puts her Fitbit on her dog’s tail before taking him to the park to play fetch?

okay. Wait. Voila.

Now that we’re all on the same page???

For the past few weeks I have sooooooo been. that. dog. 🤣 Because my boss is trying to win a bet that managers don’t just sit on their asses all day. (They DO.). So it’s an absolutely silly bet. So the management team is taking it completely seriously, by giving US their fitness trackers. And “competing” with each other about who’s doing the most. For our part, we keep trading trackers around to make it more interesting / skew the results even further, and pt various bosses in the leeeeeead! Wait! Here comes so&so on the outside!…. It’s like racing turtles. It’s awesome.

But the upside? I’ve found out I’m walking somewhere between 15-20k steps in a 5 hour shift. Which is not a terrible 10mi walk time. Not fantastic. But also respectable.

That walking 10mi used to be my “I don’t count this” extra bit of my lifestyle I am pointedly -and repeatedly- ignoring. I’ve ALSO taken 5 hours to gimp along 1 puny painful (never ending!) mile. So? Baby steps.

Woof. 🐕 Bow wow wow, yippie ki ah aye. Woof.

I have a painful condition called neurogenic claudication brought on by spinal stenosis; a narrowing of the spinal column that presses on nerves and causes pain deep in my lower back, hips, and legs when I walk. I have to stop and rest several times when I walk to the store a couple of blocks away so that the pain will subside a bit and I can then continue walking. I have to use a cane to help support my body.

I only walk to the store twice a week and it is really the only exercise that I get. I will increase to a daily exercise regimen after I have back surgery to correct the problem and the doctor gives me permission to go ahead with it.

I Use a cane also, I use it to support my imbalance which, have Dementia. I also, so I am finding it hard to write .i get so confused too. They might put me in a special unit, where they do memory care. I have to be so careful. I don't want to fall. Old age is not any fun. As to exercise, I walk around a lot, but I need flat surfaces to do it safely. Those things help that I do to get some exercise.

Last edited:
@Friday that commercial made me laugh out loud! And reminded me of myself atm. Am only walking a trifling distance right now and no swimming because of lockdown so I feel flaaaby! I do not need a fitbit to feel guilty lol...

I got out of bed. I walked to the bathroom. I sat down in my office chair. I brewed a cup of coffee. I answered the phone. I checked the mail. I went to see who was at the door.

I ain't kidding you all with the chronic pain and fatigue I have it is a major effort to do anything and I am only 60. It is all exercise to me.

I have always enjoyed weights and running. I love long distance (ultra) or intervals and sprints. I have decided to add some training focusing on body weight and slower controlled movements. I am hoping it will hit the right spots to keep my head clear.

All fours (bear crawl) 1min (goal is to add 1min per day until I have a 30 min work out all four movements, not limited to bear crawl but targeting the shoulders, back and core. Added discipline of course.)
Split squats 1min each leg

I am trying to add this in the morning, see if it helps me get out of whatever the night brought me. I don't want a huge workout in the morning as this is added to what I am already doing. I wanted to add something challenging but also slower and deliberate. I get lost in running and lifting, which is great, but I want to see how this approach affects how I think.

I'd like to try yoga, but I don't have any teachers nearby. I want to do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back