• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Study MDMA shows promise for post-traumatic stress treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

myptsd

MyPTSD Pro
An international study has shown that MDMA, also known as ecstasy, may be a valuable tool for treating post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The study demonstrated substantial improvements in individuals who had not responded to prior treatments. This is also, he adds, the most comprehensive evaluation of the safety and effectiveness of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD.
X3PkKJD_wOA

Dead Link Removed

An international study has shown that MDMA, also known as ecstasy, may be a valuable tool for treating post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The study demonstrated substantial improvements in individuals who had not responded to prior treatments. This is also, he adds, the most comprehensive evaluation of the safety and effectiveness of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD.
X3PkKJD_wOA

Dead Link Removed
I agree with this finding. The problem is drug induced stressor to relieve the pain inside. And when the drug lapses, we turn back to reality. So is the solution drugs... It seems that this is the only choice.... Maybe a Nature rehab, somewhere peace and silence away from city life. A huge farm or location in the wilderness, You think the amount they spent developing drugs, may be less in buying a huge part of land for patience who wish to get away from it all.

And when the drug lapses, we turn back to reality.
MDMA isn’t a maintenance drug like antidepressants, or even a PRN / use when needed drug like anti-anxiety meds, or sleep meds.

The way it’s being used/studied is only whilst in therapy. In the office itself. Doing therapy. For several hours at a go, because it lasts 5 or 10 hours for most people. Not something that’s taken at home to manage symptoms, but taken in office to facilitate trauma therapy.

Exactly...not about maintaining...not about addiction...Similar to Psilocybin according to researchers at John Hopkins is being tested as a future potential CURE for depression. While anti depressants address symptoms, the active ingredience in magic mushrooms might someday be shown to eliminate depression. How cool and hopeful is that?

While anti depressants address symptoms, the active ingredience in magic mushrooms might someday be shown to eliminate depression. How cool and hopeful is that?
Same studies still being done with Ketamine, also. My psych has reported some "almost unbelievable" (his words) results for some of his patients who have used it. The FDA is allowing it to be prescribed as a nasal spray, as a sort of "try-at-your-own-risk" alt. therapy for depression, specifically. Docs of course have to be very careful who they will prescribe it to, because of how easy it would be to abuse it.

And it's not meant for ongoing use. Concentrated use, and then perhaps weekly maintenance, no-one knows enough yet to know for sure. The results are supposedly almost immediate - 1-3 days for a huge turn-around. That wasn't my experience, unfortunately. But it's out there helping some people.

With Psilocybin, you take it once. The depression doesn't return in most cases and most say they wouldn't want to go on the "trip" again as it is too intense. Anything we take can have long term and permanent effects. I was never the same after all the prescribed drugs but the key word here is cure. It is easy to judge people who choose to be unmedicated when you are not the one who needs to go through life with the horrible side effects looking like a fat sexless zombie. We need to be informed of risks and we desperately need better alternatives.

With Psilocybin, you take it once. The depression doesn't return in most cases and most say they wouldn't want to go on the "trip" again as it is too intense.
Makes sense. You said Johns Hopkins? Can you link me to the study (or -ies) you've seen?
We need to be informed of risks and we desperately need better alternatives.
I'm with you on the better alternatives. I don't think we necessarily need more informing of risk, so much as we need more data and research on risk. I'm one of those fat sexless zombies you're describing...like many, I've had physical changes from meds. It still bothers me that one I was on for awhile was (and is) notorious for weight gain - but anecdotally, not statistically. It's not a new drug. But still, statistically, the percentage of people who have (what appears now to be) a permanent metabolic change from this med - we are statistically insignificant.

So, the research becomes interesting for those scientists and developers studying metabolic rate - but the psychiatry community sees enough effectiveness from the drug to justify prescribing it. And there's low to no incentive to prove it's flaws.

Anyway - I think we're on the same side of the argument, as it were. I'd love to take a look at anything you've got on the psilocybin research/findings you're referencing, above. Depression is a bitch.

I read a few stories of people who did therapy with it. It was sort of interesting. However, I think I should be completely cured with all the magic mushrooms and blotter acid I did!

On effectiveness of meds from anti depressents to anti psychotics
@joeylittle: " I'm one of those fat sexless zombies you're describing.. " My apologies if I inadvertently offend anyone. I certainly mean no disrespect by what I say. "The psychiatry community sees enough effectiveness from the drug to justify prescribing it. And there's low to no incentive to prove it's flaws. " This attitude has rapidly shifted joeylittle in the world. Sufferers are lowing their dosage, psychiatrists are learning how to wean patients off long term meds and patients are miraculuosly recovering. It is such a tricky subject. You can't know if your behaviour is caused by the long term side effects or by your symptoms. You must be willing to go through withdrawal and most psychiatrist are trained to perscribe but have no clue how to properly withdraw from meds. More on this on Mad in America ex: Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal 1: This MIA Continuing Education. I do not recommend anyone to do any of this without professional supervision and willingness to go through a lot of pain. I know 3 that went med free and never again had symptoms. 4 if you include me. Anti psychotics are the most damaging and if you suffer from psychosis, then you need to take them especially if you can cause yourself or others harm. With that said, some people are on them that shouldn't be on them. See: Peter Gøtzsche, MD, Author at Mad In America

On self medicating:
@hithere: "I think I should be completely cured with all the magic mushrooms " If only it were that simple. If only we could add the missing something and make it right. Today many kids have heard of dopamine, serotonin and many prefer to experiment on their own than trust the "expensive" shrinks. The chemical imbalence theory is so believed in our society that challenging it is a bit like scientific heresy. Psilicybin was made legal in Denver and Oakland. So no longer criminal there. That is step one. Step two is finding who benefits (addicts, smokers, deppressed individuals, cancer patients) and how to proceed .

@joeylittle: as you requested Hopkins Psychedelic Research
There are tons of ted talks as well and not just these guys in the know. Checkout Compass Pathways has set itself up to be the first legal provider of psilocybin, having recently launched a massive clinical study across Europe and North America to test the drug as a treatment for depression. Ref: A millionaire couple is threatening to create a magic mushroom monopoly

From same article: A millionaire couple is threatening to create a magic mushroom monopoly
"There is no dispute that the depression medications market—valued at $14.51 billion worldwide in 2014 and predicted to grow to $16.80 billion by 2020—holds the potential of lucrative returns for investors. "

So the million dollar question: Who should be responsible for knowing what makes you sick and what makes you well? Research is one thing and business is another. Sure enough someone is there to make a profit if you won't do the things you need to do. I am no longer depressed. I no longer put my health at risk. Whether I feel that I can or not, I exercise, socialize, eat and sleep well, don't medicate one way or the other and keep myself as informed as I can. I know that makes me lucky but I earned it too.

@masirah: "When the drug lapses, we turn back to reality. " I know in my heart that the reality can't possibly be the pain. What if your perception of a painful reality was altered forever and you could have a peaceful reality? Would you take the drug? It is imho perception that needs to change: your mindset. Do you have the will, courage and freedom to do so?

This attitude has rapidly shifted joeylittle in the world. Sufferers are lowing their dosage, psychiatrists are learning how to wean patients off long term meds and patients are miraculuosly recovering.

The SSRI antidepressant class of drug - generally speaking - has never been intended for long term-usage. They're (generally) meant for 12 weeks, and then off you go. SNRIs, mood stabilizers, and anti-psychotics are different - they vary for long-term application.

So, a lot depends on specific diagnosis/treatment. When you say "sufferer" - are you talking PTSD, are you talking MDD...?

Anti psychotics are the most damaging and if you suffer from psychosis, then you need to take them especially if you can cause yourself or others harm. With that said, some people are on them that shouldn't be on them. See: Link Removed

Couldn't disagree more. Seriquel XR 200mg (an anti psychotic at a lower dose then one would take if actually psychotic) has been a godsend for me for mood stability. Tried every single SSRI and SSNI without any help at all. Seriquel XR and the world changed. And it is very much a long term med for me. Forever? I dunno but going on a year I believe on it and do not plan to go off of it any time soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back