• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Study MDMA shows promise for post-traumatic stress treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
@lfs:All antipsychotics have been associated with the risk of sudden cardiac death due to an arrhythmia (irregular heart beat). To minimize this risk, antipsychotic medications should be used in the smallest effective dose when the benefits outweigh the risks. Seroquel XR (quetiapine) is an oral antipsychotic drug prescribed for the treatment of schizophrenia and acute treatment of manic or mixed episodes associated with bipolar I disorder. Medications like Seroquel can increase risk of suicide and suicidal thoughts, especially at the start of treatment. Report any sudden changes in mood to your healthcare provider, including depression, anxiety, restlessness, panic, irritability, impulsivity, or aggression. Long term (months or years) of elevated prolactin can lead to osteoporosis, or increased risk of bone fractures. Some people may develop muscle related side effects while taking quetiapine. The technical terms for these are “extrapyramidal effects” (EPS) and “tardive dyskinesia” (TD). Because changes in metabolic parameters were identified, it is reasonable to suggest these outcomes are not dose-dependent.

This research says whether the dose is little or not does not reduce the risk. Evaluation of the use of low-dose quetiapine and the risk of metabolic consequences: A retrospective review

Understand that seroquel was not created to treat bpd or any personality disorder or problems sleeping. It has been subscribed to successfully treat mood disorders, yes. I do not doubt that some people find it to be a game changer. I don’t know whether to be happy for you are not. The risks imo outweigh the benefits unless you are psychotic. I am in constant search for safer alternatives.

With all that said I am truely happy to hear lostforgottensoul that you feel better. It has been years since I posted but I do remember your kindness in particular and how much your posts helped me back then.

@joeylittle I first heard the term sufferer on this forum. I have met too many people who claim to have ptsd when their official diagnosis is schizophrenia, bipolar or some pd. Why? I believe they feel that there seems to be less of a stigma that way. A dear friend said to me said that dealing with socialized psychiatry should be added to the list of traumatic events. So perhaps I use the word sufferer for behaviours you would maybe like to change but cant .... behaviours that all and all cause a lot of grief and suffering to everyone involved. Symptoms overlap across many diagnosis and what people need is relief that doesnt put them in any greater danger.

I have met too many people who claim to have ptsd when their official diagnosis is schizophrenia, bipolar or some pd. Why? I believe they feel that there seems to be less of a stigma that way.
I agree.
So perhaps I use the word sufferer for behaviours you would maybe like to change but cant .... behaviours that all and all cause a lot of grief and suffering to everyone involved.
Thanks for clarifying this - I understand what you're talking about. And yeah, I wouldn't deny there's a major problem with over-prescribing and under-practicing, if that makes sense. Medication can't replace cognition, behavioral change, processing, true stabilization. And I wish more prescribers conceptualized it as being adjunct to some form of non-med-based treatment plan. The sidecar, not the motorcycle.
Symptoms overlap across many diagnosis and what people need is relief that doesnt put them in any greater danger.
Absolutely.

There's no getting around the fact that psychiatric medications have been developed based on hypotheses and guess-work. Some of these chemical guesses have been able to help people, without causing more harm. And I believe - hope - that many of them will become obsolete, the more we see the research catching up with the realities of mental illness.

My perspective on this is colored by struggling with (thank god the found a label for it) "treatment-resistant major depression". PTSD came along later, and for whatever reason, I'm keenly aware of the differences between them in my own symptom-set. There's schizophrenia in my family, and I've seen how medication helps and harms, with that specific condition. I think there are easily 20+ psych medications that should be completely taken off the market, because they've proven themselves (in the small amount of longitudinal info that now exists on them) to be total bullshit: dangerous, ineffective, and rendered obsolete in light of current research.

But, they make money, so they won't be taken away. I hate the economics of it all - but also can't escape the fact that (in this world we live in), research depends on funding. Not sure what the answer is, except to stay aware of how little we actually know, and not get complacent with self (and peer) education, when it comes to treatment options.

Understand that seroquel was not created to treat bpd or any personality disorder or problems sleeping.

No, but it is prescribed off label for those things. Extended release for BPD and immediate release for sleeping issues. And many find it a great help.

I am not even sure what the discussion is at this point. Whether or not they should be? Or if it creates more harm? I don't think it creates more harm but I can only speak from my own personal experience. If it does create more harm, titrate off of it? But, it is prescribed off label for BPD and sleeping issues.

In 2008, when I was complaining about depression only, I was prescribed Seroquel and was told I would have to take it for the rest of my life. It was bad but Zyprexa was much worse for me. I got very suicidal.
I am one of many that should have never been given anti psychotic medicine. I believe it to be my duty to tell what is somewhat better understood today: the longer you are on anti psychotics the harder it will be to get off them both psychologically and physically. Long term use comes at a high health risk as stated and off label is practiced despite the fact that it is highly debated and controversial. I would never dream of telling someone what they should decide especially since I am not in their skin. Lastly, seroquel withdrawal is no picnic as described by this woman in 2012: Seroquel Withdrawal | Mad in America

I am thrilled that there may be future cures for depression.

In 2008, when I was complaining about depression only, I was prescribed Seroquel and was told I would have to take it for the rest of my life. It was bad but Zyprexa was much worse for me. I got very suicidal.
I am one of many that should have never been given anti psychotic medicine.

Probably because it deadens your moods. But for BPD, moods are swinging super high and super low. Anger turned into blind rage explosions. Over nothing. Depression or even sadness was autimatically suicidal ideation. It was insane. Seriquel XR evens those moods out for me. But, for someone who is just depressed, I can see it making you more depressed. I mean, it evens the depression out too but BPD is much different then MDD. So, I dunno.

Long term use comes at a high health risk as stated and off label is practiced despite the fact that it is highly debated and controversial.

Well, hell, I have had a pain pump inside of me for years. I am already on lifetime meds that have heavy health risks. I aint worried. More worried about being unstable without Seriquel.

the longer you are on anti psychotics the harder it will be to get off them both psychologically and physically.

Don't really plan to get off of it but ok? So slowly titrate me down just like I slowly titrated up. I went up 50mg a time. About the slowest one can be titrated up. So, titrate me down just as slow. I know I cannot just stop taking them. Which is totally fine with me.

Sorry, don't mean to take the thread off topic. It just irks me when one tries to say "don't take these types of meds" when they can be a godsend to someone. I say try it. Titrate up slowly. If it doesn't work or makes things worse, titrate down and stop taking them. But to try to warn people may make some scared to try it. It would me if I were reading this pre-Seriquel XR but it is the only med that has ever worked. Seriously. I was on every single SSRI and SSNI. That is a lot of meds! Nothing worked until I tried the Seriquel XR. Soooo. You know?

I thought this thread was about MDMA. Also please note that MDMA is not – absolutely not -the same as ecstasy. I feel like that’s a large enough and dangerous enough error but it might be prudent to go in and edit it directly. Ecstasy can be all sorts of ugly for users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back