• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Name three living public people that you find to be inspirational

Status
Not open for further replies.

skgcalm

Confident
I was thinking about the current political divide and was hoping that this might provide some optimism. I really hope that this idea doesn't backfire on me... :blackeye: it's okay if it just fizzles away... it's not trauma related, but I believe that HOPE is a big thing for all of us!

1) Dr. Bruce Perry - he is a doctor that has treated childhood trauma victims from some of the most harsh situations. He wrote "The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog" and other books. He developed a process for helping kids called the Neurosequential Model of Therapeutics. I have heard him speak (Youtube) and he has a great heart.
2) Paul Stamets - The mushroom man. He has so much passion and belief in the power of mushrooms and their healing powers. Mushrooms having the closest DNA to humans. I heard him lecture at CIIS and his charisma is contagious. I'm on the waitlist for his mushroom cultivation class, but with COVID who knows if that will happen.
3) Elon Musk - I know this choice may be unpopular... he is a bit of a narcissist... but, I believe that he has a great heart and he really wants to make the world a better place by replacing fossil fuel vehicles with highly efficient electric vehicles. I enjoy him on Youtube. I know he's made some blunders... but I want to believe in him.

I don't want criticisms about my choices. I would just like to know who you think is trying hard to make our world a better place to live.

This is a hard one. Because so many people are being tied to Epstein, people I’ve admired for years and I’m struggling with it.

That being said:

1. Kirsten Lewis: an amazing photographer who has pioneered the family documentary genre. I don’t agree with her ideas in politics and such, but she is just incredible with her talent and ability to teach.

2. Ami Vitale and Paul Nicklen: hands down one of the best wildlife photographers out there. She has spent an enormous amount of time in Africa documenting rhinos, including the very last northern white rhino. He does an incredible job in the Arctic documenting polar bears.

3. Gordon Parks: documented the lives of African Americans in the 50s and 60s throughout the south.

4. Norman Rockwell: because duh. His ability to capture regular life and make it seem magical is just awesome.

5. Megan Loeks: photographer in the upper peninsula of Michigan. She doesn’t really do it commercially anymore, she’s much more focused on her family. But she has a whole homestead and chickens and meadows and just that magic in everyday. It also helps that she’s working through a project where she recreates Norman Rockwell paintings.

6. Barbara Peacock: she’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I love it. She’s doing a photographic series on American Bedrooms where you get a peak into real lives. Not the way magazines and media portray them. And the photos from it evoke so much deep emotion.

I should stop now before I get carried away too much lol.

***edited to add, realized this is supposed to be about living people and two of mine are not. Sorry ?

Last edited:
The Dali Llama. I have read so much about his life, his heartaches, losses and yet, he teaches us.

On a smaller scale, but important just the same, Jon BonJovi. He has a soup kitchen that he works in. He owns it, supports it, but he also works there. Not as rock star, but washing pots and pans and whatever else needs to be done.

Kid Rock who donates millions of dollars to many causes, quietly. It's the quiet ones that I love and respect the most.

Great thread to help us get back to things that are good and right with the world!!!

This is a hard one. Because so many people are being tied to Epstein, people I’ve admired for years and I’m struggling with it.

That being said:

1. Kirsten Lewis: an amazing photographer who has pioneered the family documentary genre. I don’t agree with her ideas in politics and such, but she is just incredible with her talent and ability to teach.

2. Ami Vitale and Paul Nicklen: hands down one of the best wildlife photographers out there. She has spent an enormous amount of time in Africa documenting rhinos, including the very last northern white rhino. He does an incredible job in the Arctic documenting polar bears.

3. Gordon Parks: documented the lives of African Americans in the 50s and 60s throughout the south.

4. Norman Rockwell: because duh. His ability to capture regular life and make it seem magical is just awesome.

5. Megan Loeks: photographer in the upper peninsula of Michigan. She doesn’t really do it commercially anymore, she’s much more focused on her family. But she has a whole homestead and chickens and meadows and just that magic in everyday. It also helps that she’s working through a project where she recreates Norman Rockwell paintings.

6. Barbara Peacock: she’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I love it. She’s doing a photographic series on American Bedrooms where you get a peak into real lives. Not the way magazines and media portray them. And the photos from it evoke so much deep emotion.

I should stop now before I get carried away too much lol.

***edited to add, realized this is supposed to be about living people and two of mine are not. Sorry ?
I absolutely love it @Annalyn78 ! Beautiful!

The Dali Llama. I have read so much about his life, his heartaches, losses and yet, he teaches us.

On a smaller scale, but important just the same, Jon BonJovi. He has a soup kitchen that he works in. He owns it, supports it, but he also works there. Not as rock star, but washing pots and pans and whatever else needs to be done.

Kid Rock who donates millions of dollars to many causes, quietly. It's the quiet ones that I love and respect the most.

Great thread to help us get back to things that are good and right with the world!!!
Beautiful :hug:

Hard to narrow it down, for sure. Paul Stamets is definitely on my list, as well. Grateful for the prompt to hop on that particular train of thought.

These are the first 3 that popped into my mind:

Ron Finley - known as the "gangsta gardener", making fresh fruits, vegetables, and herbs accessible in abandoned lots, traffic medians, and curb side in places where "the drive-thrus are killing more people than the drive-bys". He was one of my biggest inspirations when I started my gardening journey in a few pots. Prior to learning about what he does, I was convinced I couldn't grow a damn thing, based on my past experience with houseplants. Glad I tried anyway.

Erin Brokovich, who is always trying to expose and hold individuals and corporations accountable for the damage/poisoning they are doing to the drinking water all over the map. Water is life. Perhaps one day we can rest assured it won't be tainted, but meanwhile, there's Erin.

Bill Mollison, who also inspired me as far as growing things and learning how to more healthily respect and work with nature. He is deemed to be the father of permaculture. Permaculture is a set of design principles centered on whole systems thinking, simulating, or directly utilizing the patterns and resilient features observed in natural ecosystems.

Hard to narrow it down, for sure. Paul Stamets is definitely on my list, as well. Grateful for the prompt to hop on that particular train of thought.

Ron Finley - known as the "gangsta gardener", making fresh fruits, vegetables, and herbs accessible in abandoned lots, traffic medians, and curb side in places where "the drive-thrus are killing more people than the drive-bys". He was one of my biggest inspirations when I started my gardening journey in a few pots. Prior to learning about what he does, I was convinced I couldn't grow a damn thing, based on my past experience with houseplants. Glad I tried anyway.

Erin Brokovich, who is always trying to expose and hold individuals and corporations accountable for the damage/poisoning they are doing to the drinking water all over the map. Water is life. Perhaps one day we can rest assured it won't be tainted, but meanwhile, there's Erin.

Bill Mollison, who also inspired me as far as growing things and learning how to more healthily respect and work with nature. He is deemed to be the father of permaculture. Permaculture is a set of design principles centered on whole systems thinking, simulating, or directly utilizing the patterns and resilient features observed in natural ecosystems.
I love your choices! :)

Paul Stamets was gonna be on my list as well!

I've actually met Bill Mollison. And he dated my mum for a short while.

He wasn't the only guy to come up with permaculture either. The original book he did with a Tasmanian fellow David Halliwell or something? Can't quite remember his name, but he did a lot, and Bill has taken a lot of the credit. I don't have the book anymore. It stayed with my kids dad when I left.

Permaculture is actually based on the Traditional Australian Aboriginal way of life.

I , actually, have the privelage of living in the "Permaculture capital" of Australia, we are a small town, but, have a permaculture Institute and a permaculture suburb here.

Permaculture is Australia's contribution to the world stage. One I'm quite proud of actually.

There are folk using the principles in Africa and middle eastern countries that are arid deserts, yeah, it's quite awesome.Restoring them to abundant paradises.

I used to be in a band who sang about permaculture. We did many a gig for Robyn Francis, founder of the permaculture institute here and even on site.

So, on my list would also be Paul Stamets, and Ayan Hirsi Ali (I hope I spelled her name right)
I don't want to mention my third person coz he's exceedingly polarizing

He wasn't the only guy to come up with permaculture either. The original book he did with a Tasmanian fellow David Halliwell or something? Can't quite remember his name, but he did a lot, and Bill has taken a lot of the credit. I don't have the book anymore. It stayed with my kids dad when I left.

Permaculture is actually based on the Traditional Australian Aboriginal way of life.

I , actually, have the privelage of living in the "Permaculture capital" of Australia, we are a small town, but, have a permaculture Institute and a permaculture suburb here.

Permaculture is Australia's contribution to the world stage. One I'm quite proud of actually.

There are folk using the principles in Africa and middle eastern countries that are arid deserts, yeah, it's quite awesome.Restoring them to abundant paradises.

I used to be in a band who sang about permaculture. We did many a gig for Robyn Francis, founder of the permaculture institute here and even on site.

So, on my list would also be Paul Stamets, and Ayan Hirsi Ali (I hope I spelled her name right)
Actually it's spelt Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Also, I thought of someone who I greatly admire who won't get me in trouble!
Her name is Akiane Kramarik and she is a child prodigy prophetic visionary Artist and poet.

You never disappoint @mumstheword ! :) Isn't it interesting how similar our (this group) paths can be? I LOVE it :) All beautiful people that deserve a purple streak in their hair ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back