• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

On the job exposure to violent threats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justmehere

Sponsor
I guess I figured out why exposure to details of trauma on the job is a criterion A trauma that can lead to PTSD. I am ending this job Dec 31. It's the best option of a lot of difficult options. Can't be changed. In the meantime, I have to make it through a few more weeks where I will have to discuss violence, handle threats of violence, evaluate risks & implications of policies on violence, etc, etc. I'm not in direct harm's way, well, not right now, not today. People I know are in harms way. I could do any number of things that would put me at severe risk too... but I'm quietly ducking all of it. Sort of. I know I'm being vague but this is as much as I can say.

What I need is any advice or feedback or thoughts on how to endure a few more weeks.

@Justmehere I am sure that you already know this but the best thing that I can advise is self-care. Take a few minutes for your self during the day when you can/need to, acknowledge to yourself that this is hard and that you are doing the best that you can.

I used to work with violent folks and I got hurt a few times. For awhile I was able to distance myself from the feelings from violence, but I eventually had to quit. I don't have any good advice, I just got through it feeling really, really crappy.

When I left my field of work for similar reasons, I worked on reallocating my responsibilities to others as appropriate. If you have any PTO or sick days, maybe use those up now. If you are able to take breaks, do so! Do you have a support system (at work or outside?). I had to call for backup at work to help me when I was overwhelmed before I left the job. Maybe take note of how you are doing throughout the day…just notice your mental & physical state. That may help you identify when you need to use coping skills. Good luck!!

In the meantime, I have to make it through a few more weeks where I will have to discuss violence, handle threats of violence, evaluate risks & implications of policies on violence, etc, etc. I'm not in direct harm's way, well, not right now, not today. People I know are in harms way. I could do any number of things that would put me at severe risk too... but I'm quietly ducking all of it.
IME there’s a “This is my job, this is what I DO,” exp to violence & there’s “My job has nothing to do with violence, but because of SituationABC I am now up to my eyeballs in it.”

The second one? The very few times it’s come up, I outsource like a motherf*cker. Temp Hiring :
- Security Consultants
- Grief Counselors
- Any other applicable specialty (body guards, drivers, etc.)

Even -or even especially- if I’m qualified to do the job(s) I’m hiring for.

Why?

1. It’s the responsible thing to do. Not just ethically/morally/practically, but (what sells it to the Powers That Sign Checks) it forestalls multimillion dollar lawsuits & hundreds of thousands in legal fees.

The perspective to take is standing in a witness box in court and being asked “Following Situation ABC what steps did you take to ensure the safety and well being of your employees? Both those who already were affected, and those who could suffer effects of future acts?”

^^^ The answer should NOT be “I decided to work 3+ full time jobs, and declared that everyone should ignore my actual role in the company -and all of the rules & repercussions surrounding that role- and treat me like a confidential medical professional who will not report to me -their boss- what I heard -as their therapist- in session”, as well allow me full access to their homes/vehicles/lives -as their security consultant- et cetera.

2. Logistics. It adds ENOUGH work to my actual job to be the conductor of this orchestra, getting experts on site (and dealing with upper management / legal / etc. to sign off; and getting the staff introduced & made aware; and schedule coordinating; and and and) … I’m not physically capable of working 3+ full time jobs, nor am I usually qualified -or best qualified- to do any, much less all, of those jobs.

What I need is any advice or feedback or thoughts on how to endure a few more weeks.
- Count the Sundays & Wake-Ups. <<< Military trick. It’s never “the actual amount of time left” whether that’s weeks or months, but how many Sundays. 5 Sundays to go, 12 Sundays to go, etc. 1 Sunday and a wake up. IDFK why this works to take the pressure off getting through blocks of difficult time/times, creating a kind of mental emotional distance, but it does. >>> Clearly, any day of the week could be chosen, and if you know the day of the week that’s your last day? It rounds things off to use that. It’s just force of habit that I use Sundays & Wakeups. <<< One particularly nice thing about wake-ups? The moment you blink your eyes open, that’s done & dusted. It’s not slog through until the very end of the day, before it’s crossed off the list, like a whole day would be. 3 wakeups to go? Becomes 2 as soon as I’m swinging my legs outta bed and making for the coffee.

Bwaaahahahaha!!! 🤣12/31 is FRIDAY. What a horrifying thought, a whole bunch of “me’s” running around. 1 of me is more than enough. Still? (Back to reality! Where we’re talking days of the week, and not mischief & mayhem, or stickers of my various avatars on anyone’s calendar &/or life)

…. 5 Fridays, and a wake up, to go as of today!

- Stress Cup <<< Big ole series of stressors? Best met with a smackdown! of stress management & self care & temporary measures (that I wouldn’t / don’t use in my everyday life, but that I give myself permission to use for limited duration/situations).

Last edited:
1. It’s the responsible thing to do. Not just ethically/morally/practically, but (what sells it to the Powers That Sign Checks) it forestalls multimillion dollar lawsuits & hundreds of thousands in legal fees
^^^ ETA ^^^

I’ve been lucky enough to never work for consciousless f*cktard bastards, but I was prepared to be told “no” by collating a little pamphlet of resources together (grief counselors, security consultants, lawyers to sue the consciousless f*cktard bastards) for my staff… as well as a record of commutations between myself & management, for the inevitable lawsuit, so my ass wasn’t offered up as the sacrificial whatever to be f*cked.

If the people upstairs won’t do what’s right? That’s not on me (or you).

But I have a) trust issues & b) responsibility issues… so helping others with resources, and covering my ass was something I needed to square away before I could ask // needed to be prepared to be told no.

ETA-Squared 😉 = Correction! I’ve never had to work for consciousless f*cktard bastards that I needed to appropriate funding, or get hire approvals, from.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back