• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Emerg Services Overstimulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Stacieamy Is it being around people in close contact generally, or is there something about this co-worker that reminds you of a past abuser?
I do ok interacting with my co-workers at work. it is when we get into a social setting like a Christmas party that I can become uncomfortable or anxious. I think, for me, it is more the setting than the people.
In any event do you think you will be come comfortable with this person in time? A kind of exposure therapy. i hope so.

@Stacieamy Is it being around people in close contact generally, or is there something...
No, no. It's that I had to interact constantly because someone was attached to my hip all day.
My job has variety, so I can spend time doing things where I don't have to interact much and I can relax a bit. But, with training someone, it's constantly pretending that I'm "normal", pretending that I'm happy, pretending to be patient, etc.

This forum is to be helpful to each other. You are being offensive and inciteful.

Ignore the bullshit responses. Initially I think a couple members just needed more clarity on what you were saying, that's all. But then it is hard to read tone, and I'd agree Sasha84.. had nothing helpful to offer. Easier said than done, but try to ignore those posts. Lightraze tried to relate and be supportive, so did I, but you are choosing to defensively respond to the non helpful members. Ignore them.

As for work, try unleashing the new coworker some at this point and if she's smart she'll do okay, though probably still have some questions. I like my colleagues but often need to eat lunch alone just to get me some quiet time, anything like that helps too.

Can't be around other people ---> Don't be around other people. It's no rocket science.

Ok sorry... shouldn't have post the previous comment. Tried to edit it.

Can't be around other people ---> Don't be around other people. It's no rocket science.

It's all just cocky and you didn't read into what was posted at all, so f*ck off. I get overstimulated by some changing demands at work, and sometimes needing to be more alert and around more people and even loads of messes and disagreements at times. Doesn't mean I can just quit my job. Training in people or mentoring newbies does take extra energy. Anyway...moving on...

I work for AAFES in a small main store. We just got a new employee and the boss has me training her....
My psychologist calls it The Highly Sensitive person. There is a good book about it. I am one. You can only handle so much stim whether it is noise, people, tasks, activity. You need to retreat for awhile and get yourself together. It is OK.

Hi @Stacieamy it can be very draining to keep a mask on all day. Years ago I used to waitress and I loved it because it allowed me to be around and interact with people in a controlled environment.
Customers visit for a short time. Roles and boundries were clearly defined.
The work relationships with other employees were a different matter. I would have to leave after a while when I felt those relationships taking their toll.
This was before there were so many fast food places. Being good at my job I never had problems finding a new place to work and once enough time passed I would return to a previous place.

I don't know how easy it is for you to change jobs. Plus you would take your anxiety with you.

Do you feel threatened by this new person? Do they project a self confidence that makes you feel any kind of negative way?

Maybe spending some time with a therapist to learn how to set boundries could be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back