• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer PTSD and cPTSd survivor looking for community

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoryS

New Here
Hello -
I was first diagnosed with PTSD thirty years ago and have had multiple subsequent traumatic events since then. My functioning has always been very high as it was part of my coping mechanism but with the last two events (which both happened in the last five years) I've found my symptoms more and more profound and debilitating. I understand this is common with successive traumas but it is causing extreme stress in my marriage and my family and I find myself having to explain my symptoms constantly. I feel guilty about not being able to watch so many movies/tv shows because I have a lot of triggers. I feel guilty about not being able to take my children to really crowded or loud events. I feel guilty about how much I forget on a daily basis because of the cognitive side effects of PTSD, etc., etc. I'm feeling exhausted and very lonely and a good bit broken. I'm just hoping to connect to other people who know what it's like to live with this.

Hello -
I was first diagnosed with PTSD thirty years ago and have had multiple subsequent traumatic events since then. My functioning has always been very high as it was part of my coping mechanism but with the last two events (which both happened in the last five years) I've found my symptoms more and more profound and debilitating. I understand this is common with successive traumas but it is causing extreme stress in my marriage and my family and I find myself having to explain my symptoms constantly. I feel guilty about not being able to watch so many movies/tv shows because I have a lot of triggers. I feel guilty about not being able to take my children to really crowded or loud events. I feel guilty about how much I forget on a daily basis because of the cognitive side effects of PTSD, etc., etc. I'm feeling exhausted and very lonely and a good bit broken. I'm just hoping to connect to other people who know what it's like to live with this.
I completely relate to your situation. Great introduction. Don't feel guilty about those things. I also suffer from cptsd, (multiple traumas). Welcome to the site. You'll get lots of support here.best wishes S3✊

Welcome! I'm sorry you have been through what you have.
I hope you let go the guilty feelings. You're just reacting to trauma. Nothing to feel guilty about.
I too avoid lots of TV programmes. (How is it that trauma makes for light entertainment? Nope. Not for me at all). Which means I sit in silence when friends, colleagues etc all talk about these programmes. But that's ok. Self care comes first.

Before I found this site I had to deal with everything alone. Do you ever watch horror movies and the phone never works? AHHH! Well when you join this amazing group of people you can come on-line and get out of the horror movie. Welcome from someone who has been where you are at now. Stick with us and things do get better. Much love and hugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back