• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Public Commitment to Exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellSue

Not Active
Does anyone want to have some extra accountability for their level of exercise? I think it would help me get myself back on track and I know it's damned hard for a lot of people to exercise as much as they would like to.

(If something like this has already been done, I apologize. I did a search and didn't find anything.)

The thing is that we all know that exercise is good for us and many of us are aware that some studies have shown exercise to be as effective as medication in combating symptoms of mental illness. That doesn't change how hard it is to get started or stay on track.

Studies have also shown that when people make public commitments, they are much more likely to do the thing they intend to do. If I tell you I will exercise today, I probably will.

So, I am going to do this today and if anyone else participates, I plan to check in on other days when I plan to exercise.

So, here's my commitment for today -Today, I will do my hip exercises and my shoulder exercises - all of them, dammit.

Yay! I'm not alone!

Today is 80s/90s aerobic dance party day for me. I have not been doing this much lately. If I fall flat on my face after 5 minutes, I will probably keep it to myself.

There is a thread I have posted in it occasionally. I never can find them again if I let time pass and idk what the last system upgrade did if anything to the older content.

Log your daily exercise is the title. It came right up in search I just used the word log . That’s great because often I only vaguely remember the thread titles

Log your daily exercise is the title. It came right up in search I just used the word log . That’s great because often I only vaguely remember the thread titles

Yep, that sounds familiar. I searched exercise but I guess I didn't go through enough of the results. Oops. Well, if it's inappropriately redundant, I guess someone can delete this one.

I've been doing a pretty fierce pilates routine with my oldest daughter everyday she was over (she came over Thursday evening and left early today, actually, yesterday, it's just gone 12 pm) AND some yoga routines, which are my general go-to.

I want to keep doing the Pilates, but it won't be the same routines, I did with dawty , and I'm addicted to the yoga, so the plan is, both, everyday.

So, I'm happy to post my progress here, at least until I've got my Pilates well and truly entrenched, as is the yogs.

This morning, early, I did a 20 minute "Yoga with Adriene ~ yoga to change your perspective" as is found on youtube, as I was feeling very grief stricken. It did help, a bit.

Later on, my 26 year-old daughter and I did an abs and thighs toning workout with Bailey Brown, that was half an hr or so.

Sweats and trembled, aaaaaahhhhh???, just the way I like it!

I don’t think so, threads come and go. We are walking now. I am dong sit-ups daily. A few years ago I was a 5 day a week gym rat. That lasted years. I like working out, but at the end of the day I found it was like most things where people are involved, I don’t miss it. Plus it was like “I can’t miss the gym”. I don’t miss the feeling I’m doing something wrong if I don’t make the gym.

Last edited:
and I'm addicted to the yoga

I went to a yoga class for probably 4 years and was pretty on top of it. I am super-flexible, so I was also really encouraged by the instructor and other students. Then, I found out that because my flexibility is actually hyper-mobility I probably did more harm than good in that class, deliberately pushing past the joint safety zone in every class and at home. No more yoga for me. DANG IT!!! I miss it, though.

Still haven't tried Pilates.

I don’t think so, threads come and go. We are walking now. I am dong sit-ups daily. A few years ago I was a 5 day a week gym rat. That lasted years. I like working out, but at the end of the day I found it was like most things where people are involved, I don’t miss it. Plus it was like “I can’t miss the gym”. I don’t miss the feeling I’m doing something wrong if I don’t make the gym.

Oh good. I felt like I might be stepping on toes. There goes that anxiety, again.

I don't miss the gym, either. But I will be going back soon as I cannot figure out a way to set up a therapy pool inside a park model. I will also be looking for a wrist to ankle bathing suit since my hubby won't be able to go with me. Yeah, I really don't miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back