• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Rape and politics, how do you think about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Florian7051
I do not argue for the abolition of innocent until proven guilty, for the reasons you give an example of, I do argue that it leaves place for a verdict that leaves doubt

@Mee: Well, sometimes rape is done by the privileged white man the woman knows and sometimes it is done by the underprivileged brown guy she does not know. I think conservatives and liberals alike should acknowledge that both happens and not blame women of making things up because it insults their political believes.

@Florian7051 I do not say that people should be punished or even go to jail unless they are proven guilty. Those things should only happen if there is good proof they are guilty.

BUT I think that implying nearly all people who claim to be raped by an privileged old white man/ underprivileged young brown immigrant must be lying and feminist snowflakes/racists is wrong and misogynist.

I am very much pro „Keep your mouth shut unless you have been there and know what happened“ for both political camps.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Florian
I do not argue for the abolition of innocent until proven guilty, for the reasons you give an ex...
Sometimes I think a "jury of peers" is not the best idea, but then I think of how easy it would be to rig a kangaroo court and dismiss cases before they ever even get presented. A jury of peers is literally the only thing that prevents this from happening. It would be nice if each one of the jurors was an expert at digesting the evidence presented in the courtroom but then again how easy would it be to rig a trial. Anyway you chalk it up, I wish cases were solved, tried, and convicted with more accuracy and efficiency, but I think the system we have in place is just about the best in the world. I've worked in Iraq where we caught guys digging on the side of the road (this is against the law because of the placement of IEDs). We turned those men over to the Iraqi Police and watched the police drive off into the desert with the men and come back without them. I'm no detective but I know an execution when I see one. There was no trial, no jury, no nothing, just a bunch of fed up cops who took matters into their own hands. This may seem like the right answer, but this can prove to be more dangerous than the perpetrator themselves once corruption sets in (and over time it does)...

Actually, I am.not sure jail would be the right solution for all assaults if they were able be convicted. I would liked my perpetrator to have therapy so they accepted their transgression were wrong and faced the reality instead of lying about it. This would make others safer. I am mot convinced serving time would

Sometimes I think a "jury of peers" is not the best idea, but then I think of how easy it would be...

I would agree with you for MOST CRIMES. but the Stats on rape/ assault and abuse show the systems worldwide are failing to meet the needs of justice and the victims of these crimes and thus society.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Florian7051 I do not say that people should be punished or even go to jail unl...
My point was that most people DO keep their mouths shut and await evidence to be presented in trial before they pass judgement. The only people who don't is the media who is doing their damn best to convince you otherwise. Stop listening to the media. Go out and talk to real people and you will find out most people (regardless of political affiliation) don't think this way.

@Florian7051 I do know real people in real life who do believe that privileged white girls who claim to be harassed or raped by underprivileged immigrants nearly always make it up because they are racist. Why do they believe so? Because it has not happened to them so far and they see it as a proof it does not happen at all and that the claim that such things happen is a conservative lie.

I would agree with you for MOST CRIMES. but the Stats on rape/ assault and abuse show the systems worldwi...
Among several subjects I studied in college (because I had no idea what I was there for) I studied criminology, and it seemed to me that the big area we're failing in is sentencing. This is largely in part to the fact that prisons are overcrowded and they have relied heavily on other programs like house arrest, parole, probation, etc... I think convictions are happening but then we're putting the criminals right back on the streets (and that is a problem).

@Mee @Never_falter

I'm not saying they don't exist (and yes they flock to social media breaking stories)

I'm saying that a MAJORITY of people are MODERATE in their views (from my experience)

However my experience is mostly military and military family members (because that's the culture I was in)

Maybe military is just more willing to work together in spite their differences because we're use to doing that every day and if you don't operate like that you die. A team that's divided on the battlefield is one who won't come home.

Among several subjects I studied in college (because I had no idea what I was there for) I studied...
We fail at rape assault at every stage, right from reporting. But it's conviction rates from that is SO dispiriting compared to other crimes when compared with the estimation of false allegations.

I really see therapy of some sort as mird appropriate for mist assaults. For example, this assault I refer to in my case was a second degree sexual assault in wi. I was asleep when it started and then my none consent was none violently ignored. I believe that the perp would do better for therapy themself and education about informed consent and dome parole. Maybe some monitoring of what they are doing online and regards other crimes given stiffest penalty if they offend.

We fail at rape assault at every stage, right from reporting. But it's conviction rates from that is SO...
Sadly I know all to well that reporting doesn't usually go down the way it should. As a firefighter we learned in the academy how to report cases (as this was mandatory training in the first aid training block) but we were told the statistics and I just remember them being incredibly low of those who report immediately and allow doctors to do a DNA swab.

I wasn't aware convictions were low, but if convictions weren't made than they would be assumed innocent and their wouldn't be any statistics on that so it would make sense why we never covered it in criminology. I'm not saying that they ARE truly innocent. I'm just saying if someone is found innocent you can't really start measuring statistics between the "real" innocent and the ones who "got off the hook" because there is no way to tell the difference.

Anyway, I'm sure this is a touchy subject and you probably don't want my opinion on the matter as I've never been in that situation before. I just entered this conversation initially because I thought grouping "ALL" conservatives together as extreme right or "ALL" liberals together as extreme left is part of the problem dividing us, and I thought I would do my share in trying to stop that way of thinking. We all have different opinions and we have to work together. I can respect someone's opinion even if it's different than mine and I can work with someone even if we have a different goal. I think the media is doing a fabulous job of tearing us apart and I'm just trying to do my small part of piecing us back together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back