• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Rape and politics, how do you think about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florian, rainn.com have some stats with sources. You might be interested
I will check it out... I don't read to many paper books anymore (sadly) but I still like to read and expand my knowledge; I'm always down for checking out informational websites. I especially like statistics.

Sadly I know all to well that reporting doesn't usually go down the way it should. As a firefighte...
I will also tell.you the DA told me, as did the police officers I reported to, that there was no doubt in their minds I was raped; that the perp was lying. But it would not stand up in court. That they were so sorry. That they face this so often, and thanked me for reporting to keep the community safer, so that the next person, if they are one of the minority brave enough to report, has my evidence to help them.

Yet; I was absolutely called a liar by people who knew us both. Because that's easier for people to comprehend. Shrug. And no conviction, supports that

I will also tell.you the DA told me, as did the police officers I reported to, that there was no doubt in t...
I am so sorry you went through that. I know it doesn't matter how many people I know that went through the same thing, the matter of the fact is that you went through it. I cannot relate to what that must have been like, only some of the symptoms you face now. I didn't want this thread to take me to a place where I felt like I was "the bad guy" to rape victims, but that's kind of where I'm feeling right now. I honestly and truly tried to keep this conversation political (and defend all affiliations, not just mine) but sadly it somehow got here. I swear I am not on the perpetrator's side, but in the same breath I believe in the system. I fought defending the system. Heck my PTSD comes from the bombs and gunfire of a far off land defending this system! I wish every bastard that forced himself upon another human being would be sentenced for his crimes, but I don't know how to make that happen. I had this incredible gift (I knew how to fire a rifle very well) and I deployed that gift in the best way I knew how to serve God and my country. Now I'm looking for another way to change the world. Believe me, if I had the tools to make this happen I would execute, but God has not graced me to walk this path. I am very sorry if I came across the wrong way, but my intent was not to sound like I was part of the problem... (maybe I am)

And sometimes rape is not done by a man.
Absolutely agree. I share this experience.

I am so sorry you went through that. I know it doesn't matter how many people I know that went thr...

Please know; this system is not working. That's what me too was about, that's why I urge you to look at the stats somewhere like rainn.

I want a system that works :) That we can all be proud of, but when the DA ’s in the system in the States, people I am talking to elsewhere in the wirld’s lefsl system are telling me they are working in a system that does not work for sexual crime and as a victim I feel it it's MY duty to tel you that as someone who would be on the side of wanting function

Last edited by a moderator:
@Florian7051 , I probably didn't make myself clear, I totally agree with you on the importance of "innocent until proven guilty".

A big part of the reason sexual assault goes unpunished it that's it's very hard to prove, for very many reasons. It just is. There's prejudices and stereotypes and all that too,, but these tend to be crimes where objective evidence is hard to come by.

I disagree on the idea of therapy for convicted perps. I seriously doubt many would be receptive to it or benefit from it. I basically don't believe in capital punishment, but I'd make an exception for crimes of this nature. That might give them something to think about.

Guilt is an issue for many victims of sexual assault. For me reporting if I feared my perp would face capitol punishment would have been imposdible.

@Florian7051 , I probably didn't make myself clear, I totally agree with you on the...
I'm a firm believer in Capital punishment for Murder, Attempted Murder, Rape, Sexual Assault of a Child, and other particularly heinous crimes. I'm a firm believer in Corporal punishment for (ALL) Felonies
Relax, stay in an a/c jail, 3 meals a day, rec time, outdoor time, store to buy stuff, books, tv, should only be for Misdemeanors

It's not a matter of punishment. It's a matter of irradiation. Preventing future crimes (and victims)

This is just my opinion.

@Florian7051 I see your intention and I never thought you were going to excuse rape.
I am not from the US, I am from Germany, for some reason the board does not show the country flags anymore. I do feel like you: there is a political division and it is not good for the country but I do not know how it can be healed. I think that both political groups brought this too themselves with their hostile political behaviour (not sure if you know this, in my country there has been fighting on the streets over political differences)

Actually I have been raped and have made negative experiences with sexual harrassment.
I used to be a liberal and I think that this attitude towards women has been one of the things that drove me away from liberalism, because they always picture themselves as champion of the weak but turn a blind eye when somebody of their favorites groups such as poor or immigrants commits a rape. It was one of many reasons why I am not a leftist any more, not the only one.

So for a while a thought conservatives were the champions of women’s rights, but it turns out they are not. They only care for women’s rights when the person who rapes or suppresses a woman is Muslim. Otherwise they write articles about how women are snowflake feminazis.

I am really pissed off that none of the political camps seems to care about women’s rights and crime prevention. Both camps seem to have the same lousy attitude towards women and they seem to be all about themselves and use women’s rights only as means to reach their political goals.

You know the irony of this? My perp has a warrant out for a driving misdemeanor and they aren’t even picked up for that! The idea of discussing they might face any punishment for my assault is ridiculous!

You couldn’t eradicate the number of people it's believed are sexual perpetrators.

I'm a firm believer in Capital punishment for Murder, Attempted Murder, Rape, Sexual Assault of a Child, and other particularly heinous crimes. I'm a firm believer in Corporal punishment for (ALL) Felonies
Relax, stay in an a/c jail, 3 meals a day, rec time, outdoor time, store to buy stuff, books, tv, should only be for Misdemeanors

It's not a matter of punishment. It's a matter of irradiation. Preventing future crimes (and victims)

Except it doesn't work.

What does work is the Scandinavian model of of rehabilitation and useful employment while incarcerated.

But us folks in the USA are more interested in really punishing offenders than remaking them into useful (and remorseful) members of society. That's why we have the highest rates of recidivism in the first world. But it's the political choice we've made and it's very popular, so it's not going to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back