• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Recovering, but still dealing with Symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been recovering very well with medication and services and support. At first the medication worked very well, but I noticed this week I have been dealing with appetite problems and stomach issues again. I still feel strong and happy, but it was a bit of a disappointment that the pills weren't a full healing deal. But I guess its not about making everything better, just manageable. I have taken biological psych once and what I know is I am getting help with my serotonin, which seems to help a lot, but I was triggered badly and I managed it much better, but was sad that I was feeling better and then still got triggered. I managed it much much better, and recovered quickly. Which is a huge improvement. But now two weeks later I am having the appetite problems. Its not that bad, I do not feel so stressed about it, I am going to make sure I eat one meal a day till my stomach gets back to normal. In the past, years ago, I use to have trouble eating for weeks, but the experience taught me how to make sure I get nutrients I need until the anxiety goes away. Now it only last days, but I notice with medication I feel less stressed about it and confident about my ability to handle it, I am not scared of diving into a dark spiral of ptsd. I just found it interesting how you can expect a cure from meds but get a different kind of experience. Like just a chance to excess things, digest them in a way, and heal. I am excited about healing.

Don't want to discourge you, but there is no cure. Not meds, therapy, nothing. BUT the good news is, we can learn to manage the symptoms when we are not on an even keel.

You have good awareness and have stayed on it to keep things in balance. But if you have a setback, don't let it discourage you. None of this goes in a straight line. Lots of zig and zags and steps backwards to learn what we missed the first 50 times we were in that space.

Keep that awareness alive and good that you are eating regularly. That does help.

I just found it interesting how you can expect a cure from meds but get a different kind of experience.
I’m surprised your doctor didn’t disabuse you of that notion when they prescribed these meds for you... there are no meds that treat PTSD. The meds they can prescribe to help with certain symptoms aren’t meant for long term use, but short term stabilization in order allow therapy -which does treat PTSD- to start scaling symptoms downward, until the medication can be scaled downward, and then more therapy to further scale down the symptoms that are left.

People who have PTSD & take daily management meds long term? Are treating a different disorder... Depression / MDD being the most common... but the entire rainbow of possibilities exists for comorbid disorders.

They USED to Rx anxiety meds long term... but that was found to be a bust. Used intermittently -or daily for short runs- is fine, but they’re so durn addictive that used daily as a management med they stop working at all within a few years, and then you’ve still got the original anxiety on top of one helluva’n addiction (benzo addiction/withdrawal lasts about 2 years for most people, and it’s brutal.)

Meds, with PTSD, are just temporary relief at best. They don’t treat it, much less cure it. Therapy won’t cure PTSD, either, but CAN treat it until over 90% of people are asymptomatic... which is the next best thing! :D

I have been recovering very well with medication and services and support. At first the medication worked very well, but I noticed this week I have been dealing with appetite problems and stomach issues again. I still feel strong and happy, but it was a bit of a disappointment that the pills weren't a full healing deal. But I guess its not about making everything better, just manageable. I have taken biological psych once and what I know is I am getting help with my serotonin, which seems to help a lot, but I was triggered badly and I managed it much better, but was sad that I was feeling better and then still got triggered. I managed it much much better, and recovered quickly. Which is a huge improvement. But now two weeks later I am having the appetite problems. Its not that bad, I do not feel so stressed about it, I am going to make sure I eat one meal a day till my stomach gets back to normal. In the past, years ago, I use to have trouble eating for weeks, but the experience taught me how to make sure I get nutrients I need until the anxiety goes away. Now it only last days, but I notice with medication I feel less stressed about it and confident about my ability to handle it, I am not scared of diving into a dark spiral of ptsd. I just found it interesting how you can expect a cure from meds but get a different kind of experience. Like just a chance to excess things, digest them in a way, and heal. I am excited about healing.

Irregular glucose levels-peaks and valleys, from eating only once a day can reek havoc on your neurological system, sleep patterns, your brain chemistry, your energy level, increase depression, and create serious fatigue. Consider eating three small meals a day, or a high protein shake a couple times a day. If you are not lactose intolerant, a glass of milk a couple times a day (am/pm) helps to keep glucose more stable.

Irregular glucose levels-peaks and valleys, from eating only once a day can reek havoc on your neurological system, sleep patterns, your brain chemistry, your energy level, increase depression, and create serious fatigue. Consider eating three small meals a day, or a high protein shake a couple times a day. If you are not lactose intolerant, a glass of milk a couple times a day (am/pm) helps to keep glucose more stable.

I do exactly that, and really healthy its all my body will accept, like apple sauce, a small salid, cucumber and lemon, I ve gotten my appetite under control now and managing other symptoms

I do exactly that, and really healthy its all my body will accept, like apple sauce, a small salid, cucumber and lemon, I ve gotten my appetite under control now and managing other symptoms

When my brain is not connected to the rest of my body, I have no hunger pains....nothing to remind me to eat.....and I could care less about ingesting foods. Soft foods are always easier to eat (applesauce, mashed potatoes (an easy fix), goulash with mac noodles (I make it in big batches and freeze it so I'll have something easy to eat and relatively healthy) I'm actually dealing with this now....times like this when my body is disconnected from brain messages screaming eat you fool!, always results in a 3 time a day eating schedule with physical phone reminders multiple times a day. Protein shake for breakfast (with added milk for sugar/carbs), something for lunch-not much (I don't stress over lunch....sometimes the shake takes till lunch to finish), a little snack for lunch to keep glucose regulated, a real dinner with carbs, veggies, and protein-but small portions......and something before bed to carry my sugar levels till morning (ice cream, milk product, a frozen yogurt bar, or light leftovers). It's been really hard since I fell and hit my head about 6 weeks ago....I'm able to do much more....hoping brain will get in gear and start talking to stomach....I have no desire to eat coming from my brain whatsoever.

When my brain is not connected to the rest of my body, I have no hunger pains....nothing to remind me to eat.....and I could care less about ingesting foods. Soft foods are always easier to eat (applesauce, mashed potatoes (an easy fix), goulash with mac noodles (I make it in big batches and freeze it so I'll have something easy to eat and relatively healthy) I'm actually dealing with this now....times like this when my body is disconnected from brain messages screaming eat you fool!, always results in a 3 time a day eating schedule with physical phone reminders multiple times a day. Protein shake for breakfast (with added milk for sugar/carbs), something for lunch-not much (I don't stress over lunch....sometimes the shake takes till lunch to finish), a little snack for lunch to keep glucose regulated, a real dinner with carbs, veggies, and protein-but small portions......and something before bed to carry my sugar levels till morning (ice cream, milk product, a frozen yogurt bar, or light leftovers). It's been really hard since I fell and hit my head about 6 weeks ago....I'm able to do much more....hoping brain will get in gear and start talking to stomach....I have no desire to eat coming from my brain whatsoever.

I am sorry to hear that, hope your appetite picks up too

benzo addiction/withdrawal lasts about 2 years for most people, and it’s brutal.)

Oh wow! I went through benzo withdrawal and it was nightmarish. Thank God it didn't last 2 years! ? I didn't realize it was common for it to last that long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back