• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Walk into traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smile

MyPTSD Pro
I have a back problem & get pain meds for it. My doctor just told me that he won’t give it to me at all because of interaction with anxiety meds.

I feel helpless & my first thought was to walk to nearest parkway & walk into traffic.

I didn’t.

i'm really glad you didn't, @Smile . it's f*cked up. however there are a lot of pain medications and anti anxiety medications that don't interact with one another in severe ways. is there a reason why your doctor isn't bothering to look into these options?

I'm sorry, @Smile. I have never been able to get pain meds (I have chronic back pain and fibro), and I don't take anything else. Have you talked to him about other options - meds that won't interact with the anti-anxiety meds?

i'm really glad you didn't, @Smile . it's f*cked up. however there are a lot of pain medications and anti anxiety medications that don't interact with one another in severe ways. is there a reason why your doctor isn't bothering to look into these options?
Good question. I’ll ask him. Thanks

I used to take pain meds and anxiety meds together. This is the rebound from give the patient all the pain meds he needs, to don't give any pain meds. I took myself off my antianxiety meds and I'm doing well for the most part. Is he talking about a benzodiazepam (Klonopin, Ativan, Valium)? There are anxiety meds that are safe with pain meds. The last time I saw my pain doc, she said that their practice was going to start phasing out benzo anxiety meds.

Also, it is safe to tell your doctor about suicidal thoughts. They won't admit you for the thoughts, just if you are about to act on them or have acted on them.

I used to take pain meds and anxiety meds together. This is the rebound from give the patient all the pain meds he needs, to don't give any pain meds. I took myself off my antianxiety meds and I'm doing well for the most part. Is he talking about a benzodiazepam (Klonopin, Ativan, Valium)? There are anxiety meds that are safe with pain meds. The last time I saw my pain doc, she said that their practice was going to start phasing out benzo anxiety meds.

Also, it is safe to tell your doctor about suicidal thoughts. They won't admit you for the thoughts, just if you are about to act on them or have acted on them.
Good to know about sharing suicidal thoughts… although I’m still nervous about that.
You think it’s possible to get the pain meds if I drastically lower anxiety meds? (It’s klonopin… u got it right :))

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm glad you are still here. Please stay safe! I don't know about med interactions but perhaps you can see another doctor to get a second opinion just to see if anything can be done. I imagine you aren't the only one with both anxiety and pain.

I think they may be trying to stop since they probably shouldn't have started in the first place. Have you taken Buspar? I miss my Klonopin most at night when I'm not sleeping, but other than that I don't see a real difference anymore. I stopped in February I think. I had no withdrawal for some reason. Do you see a mental health prescriber? Maybe they have suggestions as to what could work for you. In the meantime, take good care of yourself.

Its funny but I have had a low back issue since my late teens. Popped the SI cartilige on my left side, felt it pop, heard it pop. Pain meds, massage, chiro, the works just to manage it.

My back pain was probably the first and greatest improvement from therapy. When you live with drum tight muscles all those years you don't realize they are part of the problem. Since trauma was uncovered - no more pain meds, no more massage, no more chiro, very little pain. Ends up it was all in my head.....

Hope you find the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back