• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Wearing a face covering is triggering memories of suffocation and I'm now scared to go to the shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I second that. Face shields aren’t normally used by themselves to protect against something like this and there are some pretty serious advantages to wearing both. However, if you really can’t bring yourself to wear a mask, a face shield is a whole heck of a lot better than nothing. Provided you are not sick, it would give others definite peace of mind. The way this stupid thing spreads though it will offer you about halfway protection against others. And a debatable amount of protection for others. Most of them, do not seal I would say. And they come in all sort of sizes relatively. For some protection, breathability and fit I would say it’s a winner if a face mask is just not going to work for you. Whether or not an establishment will accept and recognize a face shield as only means of protection, I am unsure.
Worth a shot. Hope you are feeling OK today and wish you the best of luck in solving your dilemma.

I might try Ocado then (thing is I normally use Lidl and Aldi so my costs are going to go up, hopefully this won't go on for too long). Thanks :)

I was only looking at the big supermarkets like Tesco and Asda before to be fair, didn't think of Ocado.

And I know that talking about my prior exposure could upset people but I'm getting very sick and tired of being basically called a murderer for struggling with this trigger by ignorant people (I don't mean you or anyone here I mean the 'karens' if you get my drift). Can't stand being made to feel like a bad person just because I have mental health problem.

But like I said, I will be doing my very best to avoid the shops unless I have to and then using the visor when it's unavoidable. xx

It's like these ignorant interfering people just think that we just don't care and we want to go around infecting everyone with diseases just for sheer fun. They never even consider anyone's actual circumstances, it's so frustrating I just can't deal with it anymore, I don't want to go out anywhere. :(

I second that. Face shields aren’t normally used by themselves to protect against something like this and there are some pretty serious advantages to wearing both. However, if you really can’t bring yourself to wear a mask, a face shield is a whole heck of a lot better than nothing. Provided you are not sick, it would give others definite peace of mind. The way this stupid thing spreads though it will offer you about halfway protection against others. And a debatable amount of protection for others. Most of them, do not seal I would say. And they come in all sort of sizes relatively. For some protection, breathability and fit I would say it’s a winner if a face mask is just not going to work for you. Whether or not an establishment will accept and recognize a face mask as only means of protection, I am unsure.
Worth a shot. Hope you are feeling OK today and wish you the best of luck in solving your dilemma.

Yes, I have noticed a lot of staff in shops and other places wearing face shields and I used to wonder why but it is starting to make more sense. I've not seen those staff get harassed for it to be fair so that's given me some confidence at least.

I'm still not feeling great but it has helped to talk about it and come up with sort of 'safety plans' so to speak. xx

It's like these ignorant interfering people just think that we just don't care and we want to go around infecting everyone with diseases just for sheer fun. They never even consider anyone's actual circumstances, it's so frustrating I just can't deal with it anymore, I don't want to go out anywhere. :(
I know, I know. I feel like sometimes people are in sort of a scramble to get done what they need to get done and be as safe as they can. They see someone without a mask and they give you a wide berth or they complain even possibly offering you a mask… it is hard but the threat is real and I know you know it’s real. They are concerned about themselves and their families. They don’t want to be concerned about the person who is not wearing one. They just want to avoid them. I feel for you. There really aren’t enough businesses and timeslots for those who can’t wear one. A lot of places probably don’t offer a service where someone can just set your belongings on the ground outside your car or something. And you have to be able to pay them further complicating things. Have faith, have faith that there are more people with your difficulties out there who need services the rest of us have and that they will find a way to cater to you. Just be careful because you don’t want to be struggling to breathe from this condition on top of your past trauma.. I would say that would be terrible. But then, I can only attempt to put myself in your shoes.

Also, my colleague told me yesterday that Tescos (supermarket in UK) will be issuing 'Yellow Lanyards' at the customer service desk to people with any hidden disabilities which make the masks extremely difficult (everything from asthma to learning disabilities to anxiety). So I feel there is at least some protection there, especially if I wear both the lanyard and the visor, hopefully people in my situation won't be harassed or abused. But predominately, shopping online or only at very quiet times is my primary plan in the short term. Hope that can put others in the UK's mind at ease too xx

I know, I know. I feel like sometimes people are in sort of a scramble to get done what they need to get done and be as safe as they can. They see someone without a mask and they give you a wide berth or they complain even possibly offering you a mask… it is hard but the threat is real and I know you know it’s real. They are concerned about themselves and their families. They don’t want to be concerned about the person who is not wearing one. They just want to avoid them. I feel for you. There really aren’t enough businesses and timeslots for those who can’t wear one. A lot of places probably don’t offer a service where someone can just set your belongings on the ground outside your car or something. And you have to be able to pay them further complicating things. Have faith, have faith that there are more people with your difficulties out there who need services the rest of us have and that they will find a way to cater to you. Just be careful because you don’t want to be struggling to breathe from this condition on top of your past trauma.. I would say that would be terrible. But then, I can only attempt to put myself in your shoes.

Yes, the risk is real to those who are vulnerable (elderly, immunosurpressed, lung and heart problems etc.) and I completely understand why they would be scared but their anxiety is no more or less valid to ours, there's no hierarchy. There really needs to be more open dialogue about this instead of everyone just screaming each other down (as happens from both sides if I ever dare talk about this in the real world).

I really think the previous UK system (provided people actually follow it) was much better with the separate 'slots' reserved for the vulnerable- if I was in their shoes I would be much more comfortable to go at a separate time, less chance of infected asymptomatic young people (like I was back in April and only found out through random testing at work) being there, masks or not as covering your face isn't fail safe especially if you don't keep your distance or wash your hands (I regularly see people take the mask off to sneeze and then put it back on without disinfecting their hands which makes no sense) knowing the store was cleaned in between but then again I'm not in their situation, so likewise I can't imagine it just like they can't imagine mine.

I just really wish people could be more understanding of each other but then as I work in mental health myself maybe I think differently to your average shopper at Tescos who may not even know what PTSD or Panic Disorder is.

Just humans being humans isn't it? :L xx

Yes, the risk is real to those who are vulnerable (elderly, immunosurpressed, lung and heart problems etc.) and I completely understand why they would be scared but their anxiety is no more or less valid to ours, there's no hierarchy. There really needs to be more open dialogue about this instead of everyone just screaming each other down (as happens from both sides if I ever dare talk about this in the real world).

^Please take another look at this. The risk is real for healthy people of ALL ages. There are now many, many instances of otherwise healthy people becoming seriously ill and dying from this. The risk is across the board. Nobody knows who is vulnerable to the virus and who may endure it and come away relatively unscathed.

By wearing the mask you are protecting yourself and potentially others. It's not just about at risk people.

^Please take another look at this. The risk is real for healthy people of ALL ages. There are now many, many instances of otherwise healthy people becoming seriously ill and dying from this. The risk is across the board. Nobody knows who is vulnerable to the virus and who may endure it and come away relatively unscathed.

By wearing the mask you are protecting yourself and potentially others. It's not just about at risk people.

So much this. There’s another thing: a friend of mine is very healthy, she’s a truck driver and travels across the country weekly. It’s not a huge deal to her to get sick, being that she’s healthy. But she takes care of her 90 year old father and it would devastate her if despite her efforts she did get sick and spread it to him. And honestly the virus is taking out healthy people and so she could realistically end up just as bad off as her father would.

So much this. There’s another thing: a friend of mine is very healthy, she’s a truck driver and travels across the country weekly. It’s not a huge deal to her to get sick, being that she’s healthy. But she takes care of her 90 year old father and it would devastate her if despite her efforts she did get sick and spread it to him. And honestly the virus is taking out healthy people and so she could realistically end up just as bad off as her father would.

While I'm sorry to hear about her situation, it does not make the way people who struggle with this feel any less valid. Like I said, there is no hierarchy when it comes to Anxiety of any kind.

I think I'm just going to close this thread because it's actually upsetting me even more.

I really appreciate those who have tried to help but honestly, I still feel like my own trauma (and anyone in my situation) is meaningless to most people and that the only people who matter at all are those affected by the virus.

I think I'm going to take some time out and stick to only professional help (unconditional positive regard and all that) as I'm so fragile at the moment I'm just constantly getting upset with 'but what about the virus, blah, blah blah' regardless of whether the intention of those statements is malicious or not (and trust me I know your's is not malicious given your experience with your friend and her father).

I feel so helpless and weak and that all the progress I've made in the last 7 years was for nothing if I can be so easily triggered. I feel like I'm going to be like this forever and I will never get over what happened or have a normal life.

It seems like another trigger for me is being judged (as after the rape I was judged by people who I had previously thought were my friends for being scared to go to court in case he came after me and finished the job- he was threatening me via text as I gave him my number to placate him thinking if I pretended it was all normal he would let me go as he wouldn't fear my going to the police and this did work, it is actually the only reason I'm still alive- all anyone could talk about is how I needed to press charges to protect his future victims and I wanted to so much but I wasn't strong enough and I have regretted this ever since- don't think I'll ever forgive myself). I've always cared so much about other people (hence perusing a career in mental health and also if I didn't care I'd just not wear anything and tell everyone else to fudge off but I couldn't do something that heartless) and for it to be constantly insinuated that I don't care about others (which has happened all week) has completely broken me. I'm of no use to anyone unless I look after myself and I can't do that if I have to constantly trigger these memories which I thought was over but I'm clearly not.

Goodbye everyone and thankyou to those who have understand. Also really wishing all the best to others who are struggling, you are not alone and are NOT a bad person- remember that. <3 xx

While this doesn’t work ontackli g your mask trigger- superMarkets are releasing new slots increasingly , I’ve been able to get Ocado deliveries three weeks in a row now. Slots with them are released daily again now.

I dont know what Ocado is but I have looked and Walmart, Target, and a few other stores don't deliver here and I looked at a company called Imperfect Foods and they also aren't in my area but none of my local stores deliver here. Which is so weird cause the Orlando area is huge. Why wouldn't they be in this area? If anyone knows of any food delivery companies that actually ship food to your house, im open to that but they need to not be subscription based. I don't want to have to subscribed to anything.

ETA; As being on topic, I'd like to avoid wearing a mask if I can cause its so highly triggering for me.

I dont know what Ocado is but I have looked and Walmart, Target, and a few other stores don't deliver here and I looked at a company called Imperfect Foods and they also aren't in my area but none of my local stores deliver here. Which is so weird cause the Orlando area is huge. Why wouldn't they be in this area? If anyone knows of any food delivery companies that actually ship food to your house, im open to that but they need to not be subscription based. I don't want to have to subscribed to anything.

ETA; As being on topic, I'd like to avoid wearing a mask if I can cause its so highly triggering for me.
OP said she was UK based - Ocado are a UK based grocery delivery service.

I feel so helpless and weak and that all the progress I've made in the last 7 years was for nothing if I can be so easily triggered. I feel like I'm going to be like this forever and I will never get over what happened or have a normal life.
It seems like another trigger for me is being judged

^If you're still about? - I'd strongly encourage you to stick around.

I don't know what's put you off again in this thread or this forum but there's a lot I think you'd get out of reading and writing about your experience here and in other threads.

And I think you'd be able to contribute your perspective and suggestions to others with ptsd too. That's a big part of being in this community. Sharing ideas, perspectives etc. You don't need to agree with it all. Leave or ignore what you don't like or align with and go with what you do. After all everyone's healing at a different pace.

^Being fragile and constantly triggered imo means you're primed to make progress. Identifying what the problem is and managing it is hard work and a big deal. Sharing your experiences here and throwing it into new threads that you create or reading up on others may be a way for you to learn much more about ptsd.

^There's no real need to retreat from this forum. There are many different threads that have nothing at all to do with the virus but are more on point with being judged, feeling down, coping with other people etc.

For sure if you want leave this thread for a while or even for ever but please reconsider leaving the forums.

You are NOT being judged here. If you think somebody is being too harsh there are options aside from leaving. You can report them or ignore them & move on.

There are many members here that fear being judged. That have had to put up with family, friends, co-workers and the general public disrespecting their choices. You are not alone in fearing being judged believe me.

Sorry to hear and I totally understand the fear of being judged for not wearing one.

Can I ask where you got the exemption card please? I might use one in addition to the visor just in case.

I do try to tell myself it's just a scarf or mask etc. but I find myself talking out loud and then worrying about people's reaction to that also :/

I thought about essential oils but I find them very strong and can irritate my nose but maybe I'm just using too much or not diluting enough haha.

Glad to hear you've found the oils and grounding somewhat helpful. :)

HI you can get the card at Face covering exempt card

it is not a government-led card exception as these do not yet exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back