• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General What are they thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just spent the last hour or so reading all these postings. This is what comes to mind:

If you always do what you've always done, you always get what you've always gotten. Do something new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sufferer - has ptsd
Supporter -- loves someone with pstd
Both can be interchangeable
Isolation is what a sufferer does when overwhelmed -- they kind of check out. They might still be in the same room but not really. I don't want to interact with anyone--- I just kind of shut down. Sometimes isolating means me leaving and going elsewhere to get my crapola together
A ghost is isolation on steroids -- they cut all contact and disappear

We really do need a dictionary for all this huh!?

Do something new.
Welcome to the world of pstd. Sufferers usually can't just do something new. They learned coping skills during their trauma that saved their lives and got encoded as the only way to deal with stress. Letting go of those coping skills and replacing them with newer, better ones is what we fight to learn every day. It's like asking someone who used a tank to escape a dangerous situation to now use a feather duster when they feel threatened. It simply doesn't make sense.

#1 Yes
#2 Yes
#3 What does anyone hope to gain from this forum?

I just wondered because to me at least, you are coming across as.. well... snarky. The "terminology" used here is - like all jargon - a shorthand way to explain situations. Telling us all to "do something new" kinda sounds a little like 'can't you lot just get over it' and asking @Freida whether she was fighting a war or cleaning house came across to me as kinda disrespectful because I know that my veteran can be cleaning house and have a flashback and all of a sudden he's fighting a war.

Most people here are seeking a place where they can talk about their PTSD or their partner's PTSD with others who understand and don't judge. You kinda sound like you're here to pick a fight.

See my profile page.

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud"
Coco Chanel
French Fashion Designer
Quoted by Arnand Eisen in
Believing in Ourselves 1992

What is a ghost, besides a Swedish heavy metal band?

You mean "ghosting"? It's when the sufferer goes away to isolate but doesn't say anything nor answers or returns any calls, texts, emails. Just *poof* gone. Thus the term "ghosting".

What's the difference between a sufferer and a supporter

A sufferer is a PTSD sufferer and a supporter is a supporter of a said PTSD sufferer.

what if a supporter is also a sufferer, or if a sufferer is also a supporter.

Then I would suggest they carry both roles.

ETA: Ah, sorry guys. Missed that there was a whole other page that answers it. Oops.

If you always do what you've always done, you always get what you've always gotten. Do something new.

I do something new every single day. I grew up in a cult. Living a day and not killing animals or having sex with them is doing something new. I tackle something new every single day. Then a day here or there I slink back into the dark and my comfort zone of isolation to recover. You can't really read a thread of our thoughts and then suddenly be able to make a swooping statement like that. It doesn't work that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back