• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Who Pays For Your Psychotherapy?

Who Pays For Your Psychotherapy?

• A religious organization pays part of the cost.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I pay for mine privately and have no reimbursement. My T is fabulous though. She's always only charged me for an hours appointment and generally gives me the time she thinks I need, meaning we regularly run over by 20/25 mins. She's helped me so much over the past couple of years - I wouldn't have got to the point of being functional again without her support.

I do think therapy in the UK seems to be cheaper than in the States, I pay a month what many others pay per session so while it's an expense, it's not horribly excessive and totally worth it if it keeps me at work.

My psychiatrist (also theraphist) is great, like, probably the best in country in his area. But he is also super-scheduled, so there is not much running over the usual session time

A real mixture:

Therapist (CBT generalist) through my local GP surgery, NHS funded, 6 months in total, initially weekly, then fortnightly and finally only via email. She was just trying to keep me safe whilst social services ripped our family and lives to pieces, so no treatment as such on any underlying issues, emergency therapy in effect. She wrote reports and attended meetings with Social Services, in support of me. She was a rock when things were very bad, and helped after my overdose.

Private consultant, expert in psychosexual problems, very intensive work, 5 consecutive days and two follow up days. Required, and paid for by Social Services (although they wanted me to pay the £5000 fee and held us to ransom for 6 months until they were forced to either drop the requirement or pay for the consultant). He was a very nice guy, massively knowledgeable. His report forced social services to leave me and my family alone, not the outcome they were expecting or wanted. Nightmare times....

Psychosexual therapist, paid privately for 6 sessions. I couldn't afford more sessions, or the 4 hour drive. Truly qualified and experienced to understand and help with my particular childhood experiences and the consequential developmental problems. Shame I couldn't afford to continue with her. She was tough on me, but always fair and hugely insightful - she really 'got' my problems.

General psychological therapist, 6 months therapy (fortnightly) through charity for victims of sexual abuse. Funded by charity. Unstructured therapy, that I didn't find that helpful, but it was nice to have someone to talk to.

NHS therapist by self referral to mental health services due to increasing suicidal tendencies. Limited to 6 sessions initially, extended to 18 by the therapist due to high suicide risk, who had to make a strong case to her managers and seek support from my GP. CBT and compassionate mind techniques. Helped me with chronic anxiety attacks and very low self esteem, suicidal thoughts, caused primarily by the previous actions of Social Services. Wonderful compassionate and kind person. Sessions stopped a few months ago as she was not allowed to provide any more, despite believing I needed more. I miss her help, lots.

Currently out of therapy, and not allowed more from NHS (unless something disastrous happens). Have been recommended Family Systems therapy by a psychologist (in U.S). I found a therapist that offers it, but is privately funded and three hour round trip. I can't afford it.

In my country, if you have a diagnosis you can follow therapies that are considered regular treatments for the illness. Those therapies will then be paid for (in a large part) by the obligatory health insurance that everybody has. I pay for an additional package to the health insurance that allows reimbursement for more sessions.

However, once the predetermined number of sessions has passed, you will either have to quit, go somewhere else, or pay for the sessions yourself. Nontraditional treatments are often not covered, and neither is talking to a T without a diagnosis.

With my individual therapist, she accepts my insurance and I have a $20 copay per session. I see her once a week. The first year or so, she had to decertify me every 12 sessions. Now Obamacare has deemed that unnecessary, thank God. If I see her for an extra session in between my weekly sessions, which used to happen regularly but now hardly ever happens, she has to bill as a crisis session so insurance pays for it.
The couples therapists that my husband and I see take no insurance do we pay out of pocket, $90 a session with no reimbursement.

With my individual therapist, she accepts my insurance and I have a $20 copay per session. I see her once...
can you elaborate on the obamacare thing fixing the decertification? I still have to get prior authorization every 12 sessions under the terms of my insurance...

I pay $1600 a month. I pay up front and then three times a year I get partial reimbursement from my insurance company....after I meet a $8,000 deductible. :( My paycheck covers my therapy only. Thank goodness my husband makes enough to pay the bills.

My aunt (a Social Worker in NJ) found out about my issues and is paying for 3 sessions a month. I have to pay for the rest (1 session a week). My therapist charges me the Martial Arts student price which is about half of his usual fee. Wish i could pay the whole amount, this guy is worth every penny! However, without my aunt's generosity I wouldn't be able to see him ATALL, which would be horrific! I have no insurance and can only work a very specific industry, so income is limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back