News Worldwide impact of the novel coronavirus (covid-19)

bird_on_a_wire

MyPTSD Pro
Many people here don't realize that under the premise of being 'short staffed' those same people will send positive workers or those awaiting results in, as long as they have PPE, at their discretion. Yet the system chose to adopt casual workers with no guaranteed hours and no benefits, shifted around mercilessly, instead of hiring the necessary number. Then, covid is blamed for both spread and not having enough people. I know of one place today- 30 workers short- so they brought in 'help', which turned out to be 2 people, of those actually physically doing the work. Most of the workers already fall in to the higher risk category and they are the ones working. Covid has exposed the inadequacies and inequalities of many people and many systems. But the truth is, most don't care enough or aren't aware enough to question the issues if they are not directly impacted.

But I think something else is also being missed with people acting poorly; to me, JMHO, I think it's because you can't get people to comply (out here) by telling them they must stop everything- but they must go to work and school. Not that it's wrong or right, just that people mentally can't cope with stressful work and no outlet or perceived ways to manage that stress indefinitely, and then they throw all caution out, all the while saying or thinking, "I'm told not to socialize (etc) but it's ok to be exposed all day at work.. hmmm"; aka- ~the mental and emotional equivalent of stop living, but keep working. I think it would help if they took a different approach and acknowledge where people are at. Especially if the ones giving the directives appear out of touch with such daily stressors. But, JMHO after 7 months, and I'm sure doesn't apply to all.

Last edited:

Friday

Australia has a total reported infection rate sitting at give or take 200 hundred people. That's right - a couple of hundred.
My state has 1123 new cases & 32 deaths as of yesterday (as in those are yesterday’s new cases and new deaths). Over 26,000 cases & 800 deaths just in my greater-city-area. We’re averaging somewhere between 500-1500 new cases per day since July.

Statewide we have more than 10 times as many deaths (2500) as your whole country has infections.

And there are still eedjits walking around with stained holey underwear on their faces “in protest”, plastic splatter shields / woodworking goggles (yo! Brain donor! Your mouth and nose are 6 inches lower on your face), and dental dribble guards (or wood working goggles turned upside down and moved 6” lower, It’s hard to tell)... brick wall bang head.

I walked out of a grocery store yesterday without anything because the only teller was one of the f*ckwits with a dribble guard on.

Freida

Sponsor
its spiking here too. And yet they said today that they are opening the local schools for kindergartners. WTH? I'm really torn. I get kids should be with other kids, but helllloooooo there is still a pandemic. Is it really worth it to send our littlest into it? I've heard so many mixed opinions on kids getting covid - some say they can, some say they can't. I mean, they are basically walking petri dishes so I know they can get/spread just about anything.

But the teachers can get it - so how are we keeping them safe? They've already noted that many, many teachers are older and have health issues so I wonder -- are we totally discounting them just to get kids a social life? Not discounting they need one - just wondering if it's worth the cost.

lostforgottensoul

MyPTSD Pro
its spiking here too. And yet they said today that they are opening the local schools for kindergartners. WTH? I'm really torn. I get kids should be with other kids, but helllloooooo there is still a pandemic.
As far as I'm aware, Florida schools K-12 have been reopened for at least a month if not two. I believe they reopened in Aug. And Florida is pretty bad when it comes to cases. Tho not 100% sure anymore as I don't watch the news anymore cause it was causing a shit storm of panic.

I did find this little nugget when Googling Florida 2020 school reopening:

I imagine most states have something simular. Not saying reopening schools is a good thing tho.

Friday

With over 150 vaccines underway all over the world, here are 10 of the most promising, already in phase3 trials.

((NatGeoSoc is behind a paywall... but also has 5 free articles per month.))

Freida

Sponsor
I"m not about to try a vaccine that is being fast tracked. That's how thousands of military people ended up with gulf war syndrome -- from an anthrax vaccine that wasn't properly tested. We can't get a straight answer from the government on what is happening with the virus, how are we supposed to believe them when they say they have a vaccine?