• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Worldwide impact of the novel coronavirus (covid-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justmehere

Sponsor
This is a thread to discuss the worldwide impact the of novel coronavirus (covid-19) and related panic/disruption. It's a place to discuss what is happening around the world, how it may be impacting you and/or how you are coping with it (or not.)

For more information about coronavirus please consult reliable sources such as World Health Organization - Coronavirus

Moderator note:
What this thread will NOT cover: Political topics or disagreements from closed threads or anything to do with US election politics. Political topics may come up from time to time but this is not the thread for detailed on-going political discussions or debates that pull this thread off topic away from the discussion about covid-19.

If you have any questions about this, please use Contact Us. Volunteer staff will be glad to address it.

Some recent news:
Tedros, who served as Ethiopia’s foreign minister prior to his appointment, said his organization’s biggest worry is that Covid-19 may spread in countries with weaker health systems: “If the virus arrives in a country already strained by other diseases—for example Congo, which is still fighting an Ebola outbreak—it will be even harder to control.”

...“What will happen if corona comes to Kenya?” asked one business owner. “There’s nothing left for us.”
Coronavirus containment is looking less likely amid surprise outbreaks in Iran and Italy

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters on Monday that the number of new cases in recent days in Iran, Italy and South Korea was "deeply concerning".

However he added: "For the moment we are not witnessing the uncontained global spread of this virus and we are not witnessing large scale severe disease or deaths.

"Does this virus have pandemic potential? Absolutely, it has. Are we there yet? From our assessment, not yet."
World must prepare for pandemic, says WHO

Lanard and Sandman say there are measures individuals can take to prepare for and deal with a potential global outbreak.

They advise people with medical conditions to “get ahead” on prescriptions if possible “in case of very predictable supply chain disruptions, and so they won’t have to go out to the pharmacy at a time when there may be long lines of sick people.”
How will Australia respond if the coronavirus outbreak becomes a pandemic?

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stepped up its call Tuesday for the public to start preparing for a possible pandemic outbreak in the U.S. of the coronavirus that’s infected more than 80,000 people killed at least 2,700 overseas in less than two months.

“We are asking the American public to work with us to prepare for the expectation that this could be bad,” a top CDC official told reporters in a conference call outlining what schools and businesses will likely need to do if the COVID-19 virus starts to spread throughout the U.S.
CDC Outlines What Closing Schools, Businesses Would Look Like in Pandemic

I believe that things are bound to get worse before they get better.

Last edited:
I think the best thing anyone can do for themselves right now is to pick up a few cases of bottled water and a week or two of non-perishable food. Do it sooner than later so you won't have to deal with a panicky crowd or empty shelves should it get ugly.

It it turns out to be something along the lines of Spanish flu, the less contact with people the better. If turns out to be nothing then you don't need to buy water or soup again for a while, either way it's not a waste if it's stuff you'd buy anyway.

I’m not overly concerned in that I recognise it’s dangerous and I am a high risk group BUT I also don’t need to change my direct lifestyle for this. DH’s company has been impacted but - better that than people.

I think people have a PERSONAL responsibility to travel - and not - wisely.

I work in a hospital, plus am at high risk cos pre existing conditions (as I am with the flu) n we have patients with coronavirus there. I genuinely don't understand the panic. It's basically the flu, but the specific virus is different. It's not more dangerous or owt. The panic around it is more dangerous than the virus itself imo. Wash your hands, stay away from sick people if you're worried, don't lick the doorknobs on public toilets n you're probably fine.

I work in a hospital, plus am at high risk cos pre existing conditions (as I am with the flu) n we have patients with coronavirus there. I genuinely don't understand the panic. It's basically the flu, but the specific virus is different. It's not more dangerous or owt. The panic around it is more dangerous than the virus itself imo. Wash your hands, stay away from sick people if you're worried, don't lick the doorknobs on public toilets n you're probably fine.

Yes. This is way I don’t feel too worried. Something comes up- we respond , but don’t panic. I do think zoonotic diseases deserve greater ‘respect’ and prudence- not for human welfare necessarily. Maybe thirtyish years ago I think it was seals that were quite impacted by what was a mild virus for people. We didn’t react as cohesively back then.

BUT - there are far bigger risks less addressed. Death rates from suicide/ mental health. The rise of stds. Many of the things that contribute to why we are here - are all health concerns at a greater rate imo.

Taking personal responsibility for washing our hands/ hygiene for ALL health conditions- with good soap and water not crazy antibacterial wash , not insisting on travelling in and out of hot spot areas, Just acting - calm and sane but clean and compassionate.

Taking personal responsibility for washing our hands/ hygiene for ALL health conditions- with good soap and water not crazy antibacterial wash , not insisting on travelling in and out of hot spot areas, Just acting - calm and sane but clean and compassionate.
Might not be a bad idea for some pocket-sized hand sanitizer!

I have read that 16,000 people have died from the flu this year and 2,771 from the covid-19 virus.
To put my last post in perspective with this - over 2000 people will have died TODAY from suicide ( mental health needs more funding) over 3500 from RTAs. Health impacts of things not really highlighted - that we can impact to a degree- are more profound.
that does NOT mean we should not be sensible and conscientious.

I think it’s a bit like how we focus on our trauma? ‘Normal’ people focus on this stuff that’s lesser risk than other stuff- because of examining own behaviour and stuff. Similarly I think it’s why some asian appearance people have been treated shabbily by some- the processing of logic over hyped fear is difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back