• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Worldwide impact of the novel coronavirus (covid-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been listening to David Burns's podcasts. He is working on distorted cognitions. He's been doing that surrounding the spread of the virus, someone might find it useful.

I am struggling with my thinking.

This one was on a front line worker's partner. Looking at what thoughts they were engaging.

Last edited:
And now we have bird flu again . Not us personally but the country. Seriously - most of our biohazard game is on point anyway - I simply need to swap the type of boot wash we are using for the farm yard and we cannot feed the hens outside and will be swapping to keep them inside ( something I abhor ) after the weekend. We also cannot feed wild birds so all bird feeders down in the garden. This is both sad and while necessary I cannot help feeling that while there are still some edible things in the hedges and garden it’s a little redundant. It’s almost more likely to drive birds to the farmyard from the garden - yet I do see the sense in it nonetheless.

I am not arguing ANY of the necessary precautions - none. I’m just frustrated that courageous disease - albeit a different thing- is even impacting even wider scale.

I'm currently looking at a news article on my computer, with the words "COVID-19 CRISIS" emblazoned across the screen.

The article describes the impending govermental press conference regarding a single community case of covid-19 that was confirmed yesterday.

I can't help but looking at what is going on around the world and think we might be running our response a teeny bit differently here...

with the words "COVID-19 CRISIS" emblazoned across the screen.

^And so glad our respective countries have taken the measures they have.

But at the same time pandemic fatigue is setting in.

It's great to keep the messaging up etc but the media are flogging it now.

People are turning off, relaxation of restrictions somehow translates to 'the virus is no longer here so all good - going back to the pre-covid lifestyle' and ignoring the few simple measures that may contain an outbreak.

I don't blame ppl for having fatigue - but it's deadly.

I know two people that are really struggling with covid right now. One of them had a relapse after having it in the summer. He already had lung issues, so it brings to question if he ever really got over it. Safety has really gone out the window for the people attending Restraunts around here. The employees follow mask safety, just not the customers. We get a daily email with a new documented case at my kid’s school.

Not only are they saying to expect the covid to be around all of 2021, but maybe 2022. This is really discouraging. My family all work from home and am so grateful for that. I feel like I have been handling the covid pretty well, in part because Im not the extrovert I use to be. Yet the future sounds bleak. My mother in law is 91 and hasn't visited since last Christmas. I see and hear of so many that are suffering extreme loneliness and its so sad. Me, Im more bored than anything, and that I can survive. I do miss seeing the kids. The problems with the change in presidency is not going to help our case here....just dragging things along further.

Not only are they saying to expect the covid to be around all of 2021, but maybe 2022. This is really discouraging. My family all work from home and am so grateful for that. I feel like I have been handling the covid pretty well, in part because Im not the extrovert I use to be. Yet the future sounds bleak. My mother in law is 91 and hasn't visited since last Christmas. I see and hear of so many that are suffering extreme loneliness and its so sad. Me, Im more bored than anything, and that I can survive. I do miss seeing the kids. The problems with the change in presidency is not going to help our case here....just dragging things along further.
I don’t agree, but I’m sure that’s for some other thread.

I just talked to a friend in North Carolina and she said that not only is it exploding there but that people are STILL refusing to wear masks

It's just astonishing to me.

expect the covid to be around all of 2021, but maybe 2022.
eh... you mean dealing with it in a sort of crisis mode? Cuz covid-19 will be around for, well probably after humans are long gone.....
but the shut down etc... until herd immunity? and herd immunity, i don't think, is a thing for viruses whose antibodies we only keep for a couple months, vaccine or not.

Govt's are going to have to either stop caring or step up healthcare with more ICU beds and treatment plans and shell out a lot of $$ to vaccinate the willing high riskers....
but- it's also still a very, very new virus, so who really knows what snazzy shit people will figure out about it as time goes on.

In some ironically weird way I actually trust human ingenuity will find decent solutions.

next few years should be interesting?

I actually had to research it because I couldn't believe it was true.
It was true; it's not true anymore. They were active in the US from April through October (2020); they've since wrapped up their programs here and don't currently have plans to start new ones.

They've just begun a new initiative in France, which is really struggling in terms of geriatric care.

While in the US, the MSF efforts were focused on under-served, low income, and at-risk communities. The following, taken from the Doctors Without Borders US activity page:
We ran limited operations in the US between April and October and have now concluded these activities. MSF teams worked with local authorities and community-based organizations on a wide range of projects, including support for people who are homeless or housing insecure in New York City; migrant farmworkers in Florida; Native American communities in the Navajo Nation and pueblos; and neglected and marginalized communities in Puerto Rico. Our teams also worked with staff in nursing homes and long-term care facilities in Michigan and Texas to offer training in infection prevention and control measures and support for mental health and wellness.

You can read all about their efforts world-wide here: Doctors Without Borders Covid Response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back