• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Worldwide impact of the novel coronavirus (covid-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been questioning how effective a cloth mask vs the N95 masks
CDC for the US has been pretty clear about this recently, link from Jan 14. Surgical masks and respirators are more effective.

I think you had the J&J vaccine, am I remembering that right? If that was back in April 2021, you're overdue for a booster, it might be worth it even though you've already had Covid now, just because the latest variant is so communicable and I don't think there's evidence yet that you can only get it once - though, I might be very wrong about that, someone else can fact-check me.

This Healthline article goes into each US vaccine and which are more/less effective with the Delta and Omicron variants, according to early data.

CDC for the US has been pretty clear about this recently, link from Jan 14. Surgical masks and respirators are more effective
All I have are the double layered cloth masks that my job gave out and the disposal ones sold at Walgreens when it first started. They aren't N95 masks but the blue ones. I think they maybe called surgical masks but could be wrong. I still wear them. The cloth ones. But just wonder how well it's protecting me but I guess it's better then nothing.

I think you had the J&J vaccine, am I remembering that right? If that was back in April 2021, you're overdue for a booster, it might be worth it even though you've already had Covid now, just because the latest variant is so communicable and I don't think there's evidence yet that you can only get it once - though, I might be very wrong about that, someone else can fact-check me.
Correct. I've been overdue for a booster. Will have to call Walgreens and see if I can make an appointment. I believe they still have vaccines. It's the tests we are super short on.

Though I will get a booster and totally not against it, I also wonder how well that protects. Got a high school friend that had the original vaccine and 2 boosters and ended up getting Covid now twice. The first time she was in the hospital. So, I dunno. Will still get it but just has me wondering is all.

i am hearing impaired and rely heavily on lip reading to communicate.

is there a polite and politically correct way to let people know i can't "hear" through a mask? at present, i am simply increasing social distance. i think i will need a space ship to social distance any further.

You can order 4 free at home Covid tests here COVIDtests.gov - Free at-home COVID-19 tests

My therapist gave me that and ordered mine today. My therapist also said he believes the CDC site says wait 90 days after having Covid to get a booster but suggested I read the CDC site as he wasn't 100% on that. I do want to wait a while before getting it the booster to not overload my immune system with antibodies.

is there a polite and politically correct way to let people know i can't "hear" through a mask?
Yes, there is!

Certainly here in Australia (Google 'Deaf Face Masks' for local suppliers) there are masks in circulation that have a hearing impaired sign on the front, so that while you have your mask on, the person you're speaking to can see from your mask that you're hearing impaired.

Last edited:
is there a polite and politically correct way to let people know i can't "hear" through a mask? at present, i am simply increasing social distance. i think i will need a space ship to social distance any further.
I’m currently organizing an ASL class at my work (my employer is hiring the teachers, totally badass employer).

Basically any series of random signs, or pointing at your ears, tells hearing people you’re not being RUDE…But? It doesn’t really help much with communication in general… unless you have a pad for someone to write on (electronic or paper).

J's mom is in the covid ward. She went in yesterday. 🙏
Strength, resiliency, & all good things to you & yours @LuckiLee

And failing that, the credit line to purchase 3 suits of similar sizes to try on / choose at home, rather than to attempt shopping whilst grieving.

I can't seem to write in this thread. It goes crazy. I can't seem to quote or even tag. Let's see if I can even write this. When I'm having trouble hearing people thru their mask I just turn my head so my ear is closer to them and they tend to speak up. Or I will just say I'm having trouble hearing through the mask and they tend to speak up but I love the hearing impaired mask idea! None of that comes across rude by the way and no one seems to take it that way. I'd think even saying "I'm hearing impaired and cannot hear you with the mask on" isn't rude. I personally would just back up to put more distance between me and them so that I ccould take my mask off so then they could hear me better or read my lips but not sure how others feel about that. As long as there is more then 6 feet between me and them, not sure there is an issue with that.

When I'm having trouble hearing people thru their mask I just turn my head so my ear is closer to them

i also find that closing my eyes helps me focus my hearing more solidly. there are no visual cues in masked dialog, anyway, so my vision is rendered useless.

there are masks in circulation that have a hearing impaired sign on the front, so that while you have your mask on, the person you're speaking to can see from your mask that you're hearing impaired.

back in the bad old days of indecently exposed smiles, therapy in overcoming handicaps carried allot of tools for "not wearing your handicap on your forehead" or making it the most obvious thing about yourself. that was the same therapy which treated social distancing like a bad habit for folks who are marginalized by nature. the idea of wearing my literally advertising my handicap on my lips at all times is ? ? ? a final blow to what little dignity was previously allowed for imperfect people.

shrug-a-lug. . . just when i think the world can't get no weirder. . . i'm still thinking isolating myself is the better solution.

the idea of wearing my literally advertising my handicap on my lips at all times is ? ? ? a final blow to what little dignity was previously allowed for imperfect people.
I flip this around - it's going to be very personal I think. I'm lucky enough that my disability is invisible. But I now have the choice to let people know, if I decide I want to and that it will make my life easier.

For me, the dignity lies in my ability to choose, and to live a life as close to normal as possible once I've made that choice.

@arfie I get not wanting to advertise your disability on a mask. It's the same reason I would never get a service dog patch that said PTSD on it. Medical alert was good enough. Then again, having a service dog advertised that I was handicapped in some way. Just never wanted to say how, specifically. Whatever works for you. Closing your eyes, if that works, do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back