• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

A thread for scientific nerdiness

"The Daniel K. Inouye Solar Telescope has produced the highest resolution observations of the Sun’s surface ever taken. In this movie, taken at a wavelength of 705nm over a period of 10 minutes, we can see features as small as 30km (18 miles) in size for the first time ever. The movie shows the turbulent, “boiling” gas that covers the entire sun. The cell-like structures – each about the size of Texas – are the signature of violent motions that transport heat from the inside of the sun to its surface. Hot solar material (plasma) rises in the bright centers of “cells,” cools off and then sinks below the surface in dark lanes in a process known as convection. In these dark lanes we can also see the tiny, bright markers of magnetic fields. Never before seen to this clarity, these bright specks are thought to channel energy up into the outer layers of the solar atmosphere called the corona. These bright spots may be at the core of why the solar corona is more than a million degrees!"

The NSF Inouye Solar Telescope's First Movie (Cropped) - NSO - National Solar Observatory

YEP! :):) So friggin proud, actually. (totally irrationally, I know...but damn, being in Hawaii...this almost feels on a personal level :D )

Astronomy/Astrophysics/Cosmology is my second love. And this is just waaaaaaaaay cool!

@beeapp

Actual shamanism isn't contrary to scientific findings, basic biology, or in relation to what you refer - altered states of consciousness - in direct contradiction to the findings of neuroscience.

I'm all fan of centuries old traditions - when they have merit and benefit.

But those kinds of videos you posted? Don't. It's not the techniques bad... it's that those videos and alikes *aren't how these techniques are done.*

And frankly it can be dangerous.
I was trained in dissociative stuff, breath work, body work, imaginative exercises, extreme pain management, subliminal recognition and similar stuff since a kid.

No one of the teachers that *were* legit would *dare* sit any of us with a video and now do whatever.

They were all damned watchful.
Knew what they're doing.
Knew how much of what they can do to not retraumatize trauma people.
Knew when to absolutely not accept someone as a student, as that person needed a citizenship in a new country and treatment teams and to forget what they *can*.

You can't just toss info like that at people... much less those with MH.

It doesn't do help, but harm.