• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Are You Artistic?

Are You Artistic?

• Yes

Votes: 402 88.2%
  • No

Votes: 54 11.8%

• Total voters
I'm an artist. Primary mode is writing poetry.
I also print: lino cuts, monos and paint abstract landscapes, mainly the sea.

I'd say I'm really a dancer, I've always been good with movement. I used to engage in dance/movement practices A LOT until two years ago when I became afraid to be alive:/
I'm hoping to get back into it but it's quite acrobatic and I'm 35!!

First off the PTSD has destroyed my creativity....:cry:.
I hear you. It's like I'm a different person and I see all these artists passing me by and I wish I could jump right in but I'm focused on healing now and that takes all my energy.

I'd say I'm really a dancer, I've always been good with movement. I used to engage in dance/movement practices A LOT until two years ago when I became afraid to be alive:/
I'm hoping to get back into it but it's quite acrobatic and I'm 35!!

Perfect age! I started aerial acrobatics at the age of 31 or 2 and certified as an aerial fitness instructor last year at 35! I now choreograph weddings and until my illness was able to do more things than I could as a teenager. I was stronger and had less backaches than when I was 16.

I voted yes though I hesitate to call myself an artist. I'm just not good enough yet to earn that title! However, I'm learning computer animation, 3d modeling, and creative writing. I wanna have a one-man game studio one day. :)
I've always done artistic things, and other people called me an artist, but I never thought of myself as one, for that reason "I'm not good enough to call myself that" Then I watched "Turning The Art World Inside Out" and someone said "An artist is someone who HAS to get something out. And image, words, music, it's in them, and it has to come out." or something like that....and now I'm hoping it actually was in that movie... either, way, I like that sentiment, and then I'm like, I totally am an artist! It doesn't matter if what I do isn't traditional art, or good; I like it, I like to do it, it has to come out!

Art's my coping mechanism, don't know if that makes me 'artistic' or what, it's just something more useful for making sense of things than all the other self destruction ideas I'm good coming up with.

I enjoy food "artistry", especially creating plant-based goodies. The taste-testing is my favorite part of that scene. lol

I also make things out of other things that have outlived their original purpose, like old picture frames get turned into dry erase boards; old pill bottles get turned into hide-a-key containers; old vases get made into mushroom yard art; those old wooden flat-like pants hangers made into recipe holders to hang from kitchen cabinet knobs, etc., etc.

I use old small tiles that I buy at a Habitat for Humanity Re-Store and make magnets out of them with catchy sayings or healthful prompts.

I use old greeting cards and glass gem decorative stones to make cool magnets.

I make hula-hoops for kids and adults.

I like to draw some, but I'm limited in my abilities.

I've written some rhymes.

I enjoy seeking out the art already put in place by nature with my camera.

As a young teen I taught myself to both read and write music and then proceeded to spend about 4 hrs a day at the piano. I was lucky to have such an interest as it kept me sane in an insane world and helped me develop skills that would help me throughout my life. I still play but the intense inspirations I once had have left me - I believe that intense therapy for several years stopped the need for this sort of thing and I have moved on. At some level I miss ultra-focusing like that but I have a file of about 100 piano pieces, many of which I could re-work as now I believe that is where my skill is, on the intellectual side of things I mean, not the inspirational. Because my music was so entrenched in my self-identity it became a target within my family of origin with my siblings, particularly. They were extremely resentful. I was never good enough (for what exactly I don't know) and always given "advice" on how I could improve. Naturally this sort of thing was very hurtful to me but still my music endured and still does. I love to get together with others who want to play, that is the most fun I could have - contributing to an experience for others to feel part of a group making good sounds! I've watched that show "My 600 lb Life" a couple of times and the over-large people who are eating constantly to soothe themselves remind me of myself with the piano in my parent's house as a kid. I was lucky to have the music because I could have turned to food as a soother otherwise.

I've always been artistically minded, but since my diagnosis I've tried expressing it outwardly as a sort of therapeutic hobby. I enjoy writing when I'm able to, and recently have been painting- and while the results aren't anything special it gave me an outlet for being artistic while still feeling like I was accomplishing something.

I'm a fine artist as my primary job. I knew from childhood that it gave me sanity, a place to escape and a voice all in one. Drawing and painting are my passions and I recently got into teaching it.

I love acrylics, collage, and oil pastels. I color a lot, too. I went to school for creative writing, but I never really write anymore. I feel like PTSD and addiction took my love of writing away from me. I started writing when I was a kid, during the abuse. I would write these stories so I could be a different person with a different life, always a very heroic, independent girl.

It took me a long time to get into art because I am such a perfectionist. I was actually able to get into it better when I had an OT group at a trauma unit that was more like art with a purpose. Since then, I've been more able to just relax and let things flow. I often don't have words for how I feel. I suffer with a lot of depersonalization and frequently don't have conscious access to my feelings, so art, and especially painting, can help to release and express some of what's buried in there.

Back