Art Thread

I'm learning to silence my inner critic. I have always been too hard on myself about my drawings and realised it has prevented me from doing this hobby that I used to absolutely love.
I totally agree ... it's a learning experience. And loving it is so important!

This silencing of the inner critic has been a huge challenge for me and other artists - I still struggle with it and likely always will. Because my artwork has been mostly imaginary, with no right nor wrong way of doing it, one might think I’ve been able to escape my inner critic, yet not. At times, I’ll left my artwork unfinished due to my indecisiveness and self-doubt.

I actually need to maintain a supportive working dialog with my inner critic when creating artwork - though at times, the artwork will simply flow out of me quite effortlessly and silently.

One benefit of art therapy might be that it helps one to become consciously aware of how negative and oppressive the inner critic can be. And then, it’s not only present when creating artwork - it’s realizing that it’s there much of the time. Perhaps, my artwork has provided me with an opportunity to confront my self-defeating inner critic head-on. During my early 20’s, I had suffered extreme anxiety every time I tried to paint. Was I then so extremely fearful of my inner critic that I couldn’t paint.

These days, I’m more likely to say to myself, ‘try a different color’ than to say ‘this is wrong’ or ’not good enough’ or ‘no one will like it.’ This ‘no one will like it’ is a devastating assumption, if, an entirely different issue.

My bradycardia depletes my mental energy so quickly. This little 3 inch doodle, I drew yesterday from my imagination in about 2 minutes. Nothing was corrected nor was it considers finished. Here the end product isn’t always what’s so important - rather it’s in the process of ‘doing it’ that’s significant.

Attachments

• Horse Ball-Point Pen-3 Inches.jpg
    Horse Ball-Point Pen-3 Inches.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 10
Back